Summer of '69- Econoline Poptop Resto-Mod

Wes!

Hello all,
So in a weird twist of fate I can in the possession of a 1969 Econoline Turtle Topper camper van conversion. As many of you will see in the pics, she has been sitting for a number of years(last tabs are from 1994, when I was 2 years old) and is in need of some loving. But after some careful inspection not only did I find very minimal rust, but it seemed like a good starting point. Plus the price was very hard to turn down (Traded a 1966 Mustang from my parents farm that had a tree land on it for it, so basically it was free)

Some of the backstory:
It was and still is owned by my cousins, husbands, grandmother. She and her husband bought the van from ford off the showroom floor in 1969 new, sent it to turtle topper for the conversion, and then have owned it ever since. There is a book in the dash pocket documenting absolutely EVERYTHING that has been done to the van, all the way down to the oil changes from 1969 till it was finally parked in 1994. My cousins husband brought it out of the hay barn it was sitting in the work on it, but soon lost interest and let it sit, but now Im taking it over to get this sweet classic back on the road.

The plan:
I'm a big fan of the whole resto-mod ideal. I love some of the design that went into the older cars, but at the same time its always nice to get some modern comforts in the name of safety. SO the immediate list is as follows:

Get engine running with some mods to add a bit of power and get the 302 running a bit more efficient(new pertronix ignition, plugs, coils, wires, and a rebuilt and a e-fan conversion)
Mild lift and tires ( going for about 1.5" and throwing some larger tires on there)
Improve the Brakes (Manual drums don't sound like a fun time on mountain passes, so adding in a brake booster and possibly front discs from a f250)
Solar, horizontal propane tank, and fresh water tank
Insulate the inside
Rework the interior camper buildout( The inside is very old school, nothing but a simple icebox and a hand-pump faucet with no tank. Plans are to redo the cabinetry to better fit my needs and add in a cooktop, horizontal fridge/freezer, small hot water heater, and a furnace)
Eventually look into doing a 4WD conversion( Not alot of info floating around for this, mostly it takes narrowing a bronco front axle and changing around the radius arms and such)

The goal isn't necessarily to have a jeep trail ready rig, but its also not going to be something more suited to be seen on some Insta-lame "Influencer" page. Its going to be a solid basecamp for climbing, backpacking, bikes, and fly fishing all over the state.

Enjoy a quick pic of the pre-pressure washed look of the van and admire the many years of grime and mold. Seems like a good way to set the bar low to make any future progress substantial :ROFLMAO:
44321724532_5791a7b02e_z.jpg

Charles R

Adventurer
I'm trying to talk myself out of doing a similar project with a '63 Econoline. My buddy got it as a basic cargo body shell, and now it has a late model straight 6 and an AOD in it.

Wes!

Well, sorry to disappoint but its a "Dropped off at my place last weekend and I'm cramming to make it run before my landlord notices" threads currently. No 35's yet, but its a-lot cleaner. And I dunno about a LS swap, it already has a 302 in it so I can enjoy the atrocious mpg you get combining a carb'd v8 with a 3spd auto in a vehicle that has the aerodynamics of a bread loaf. Might think about a diesel swap down the road, but for now its gonna be full classic drivetrain. Gives me an excuse to rock a hula girl on the dash though

Wes!

I will throw out a bone and say that there was a heated debate between me and my dad this last weekend about putting on a set of chrome sidepipes. He is all for it, but I'm worried about having to remove the slide out step on the side, I gotta keep it easily accessible for all the drunk single moms at the Steel Panther concert...

Wes!

There will be a decent photo dump after this weekend. I'm going to be doing a bunch of engine work and some dress up paint work, and also I want to document some of the weird and interesting design choices in the van like the manual knock open foot vents.

Wes!

You know we’ll be watching.
Unfortunately it wont be quite as much progress this weekend as I had planned for originally, my DD Subaru decided it was time for the inevitable HG failure, so the money that was going to getting a set of Falken Wildpeaks mounted and insulation for the inside is going elsewhere. But currently the normal free space in my apartment that isnt taken up by bikes, climbing gear, and backpacking stuff is taken up by a stack of engine, brake and chassis parts. About the only things left that I need to order in that sense are a 1 wire conversion alternator, the bracket for the brake booster conversion, and figuring out the lift kit stuff.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I have converted serpentine belt alternators to V belt. Mine is 120 A which I a little high for a single V belt.

Wes!

I have converted serpentine belt alternators to V belt. Mine is 120 A which I a little high for a single V belt.
Good to know

Also, sorry to disappoint guys but I'm gonna be having a lack of progress for a bit. My fears kinda came true when the owners daughter came by and told me that there's a "One car per unit" rule that I was never told about, and the lady who has lived there since it was built in the 70's confirmed. So now I'm gonna be scrambling to either find a middle ground with them or move the van to a place I can still work on it

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I was looking at that, but then I would have to swap everything over to a 6 rib belt from the current vbelt setup

No, just swap alternator pulleys or buy an alternator with a V belt pulley. They're widely available.

Last edited:

Fugly

Adventurer
We need pic's or it diden't happen.....
Bugger about havin to move the van makes it harder to work on....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy