Supercharger or regear?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Just got her back today with the 4:88s in. I was told that with the 33 inch tires those gears would bring her back to stock rpms. Now since I don't remember what stock rpms were I'm not sure if this is right or not. So after break in I drove home and at 75 mph ( by GPS ) it ran 2900 rpms. This was pretty steady when going up hills and on flat, didn't jump around like it use to. Now what I was expecting was running a lower rpm. My old gears on the flat would run 2200 rpm until a slight hill or some wind would hit her then it would jump to 3500 rpms and it would kick up and down all the while. So the question is IS is this right with the steady 2900 rpms? Also when I'm going 75 mph on gps my speedo is saying 93 mph. Can that be fixed?

I'm using a superlift speed calibrator, skits digital also make one. Mine is spot on until you get to the higher speeds.

A

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Okay, I'm subscribing to this thread.

I also have a small lift, 2 1/2" total maybe via OME, BJ spacers and new rear leafs, running 33x10.50x15 BFG A/T's on my 94 Extra-cab truck with the 22RE. I have noticed a small decrease in mpg's (from 21 hwy down to 18-19 hwy) since the 33's were installed and I want them back! Gas ain't cheap ya know. I was/am hoping that installing 4.88's will bring me back to close to stock mpg's, rpm's and other acronyms. More precise gearing would be 4.83 or 4.84 according to my math, but I've never seen those for sale and some used 4.88's are closer to my price range.

Anyhow, I can cruise on the flats at 65-70 in fifth gear and I'm right at 2900-3000 rpm's. I'm hoping this drops when the 4.88's are installed. Don't even ask about hills....S.L.O.W.

What motor do you have? Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?...I guess auto by your description. Let me know what you figure out with the GPS discrepancy. I just bought a GPS and need to learn to use it so I can check mph on my truck as well.

The OP has the 5vzfe or 3.4L v6, you'll have to do some homework to see is optimal for the 22re, I'm guessing 5:29 because of the smaller power plant (though I could be wrong). There are plenty of engine mods available through lC engineering.

A

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Okay, I'm subscribing to this thread.

I also have a small lift, 2 1/2" total maybe via OME, BJ spacers and new rear leafs, running 33x10.50x15 BFG A/T's on my 94 Extra-cab truck with the 22RE. I have noticed a small decrease in mpg's (from 21 hwy down to 18-19 hwy) since the 33's were installed and I want them back! Gas ain't cheap ya know. I was/am hoping that installing 4.88's will bring me back to close to stock mpg's, rpm's and other acronyms. More precise gearing would be 4.83 or 4.84 according to my math, but I've never seen those for sale and some used 4.88's are closer to my price range.

Anyhow, I can cruise on the flats at 65-70 in fifth gear and I'm right at 2900-3000 rpm's. I'm hoping this drops when the 4.88's are installed. Don't even ask about hills....S.L.O.W.

What motor do you have? Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?...I guess auto by your description. Let me know what you figure out with the GPS discrepancy. I just bought a GPS and need to learn to use it so I can check mph on my truck as well.

uh..........your mph vs. rpm is waaaay off. Is this corrected speed for the oversized tires? If not, you are going much faster than 65 at 2900 rpm. Going to 4.88's will increase your highway rpm but will put your speedo closer to stock. You should be running around 25-2900 rpm on the hwy with 4.88's and 33's. You are correct in finding that 4.88's are a little off from "ideal" but the 4.88's are easy to find and drop right in.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
uh..........your mph vs. rpm is waaaay off. Is this corrected speed for the oversized tires? If not, you are going much faster than 65 at 2900 rpm. Going to 4.88's will increase your highway rpm but will put your speedo closer to stock. You should be running around 25-2900 rpm on the hwy with 4.88's and 33's. You are correct in finding that 4.88's are a little off from "ideal" but the 4.88's are easy to find and drop right in.

Hmmm....good to know. What I wrote is not corrected. As it stands, I am running the 33's with stock 4.10 gears and at 65-70 the tach reads ~2900-3000rpm's. I didn't think I was more than 5-10mph off as I run along in traffic with everyone else, usually a little slower. How much off can I really be?

And yes, 4.88's are easy to find. I'm saving to find some used 4.88's right now. Probably out of an early 90's 4Runner as that is what is common around here. I really hope the swap will get me back my mpg's too....I'm hurting right now.

austintaco

Explorer
Update on 4.88's and 255/85 tires

I had my truck regeared from 4.10's to 4.88's with the same tires (255/85/16) Coopers. While driving to the shop to drop off the truck, I ran 2150 RPM's at 70 MPH per the GPS. After the regear, I ran about 2500 RPM at 70 MPH per GPS. My speedometer is now about 10% off, reading higher than actual speed.

The truck ran significantly better, but there is not a kick in the pants feel that you would probably get with a supercharger. My engine and tranny temps were much better (I did a coolant flush and fill as well though), and my truck didn't have to search for gears on the mountains and rolling hills as much. I still turned off Overdrive if going up a steep hill or pass.

Was it worth it? I say yes. My truck ran at a better temp, I think I picked up 1 mpg, without having to baby the skinny pedal, but most of all, my transmission didn't have to jump around as much.

This was my real world experience on my 03 DC with auto 3.4, fully loaded with camping gear for a week, my wife, two dogs, flippac, bikes and armor.

AxleIke

Adventurer
This is an old thread, but worth a post anyway.

Regearing for the tire size you want is key. That is the best way to do things.

However, the SC is a GREAT modification after that. And drivetrain reliability concerns are bogus on the 3.4L IMO. In my family we have 4 SC'd 3.4L trucks ranging from 120 k to 270 k. No issues whatsoever. And the power increase is very worth the money. The truck drives like it has some response to it, and is able to tow very nicely.

In fact, I just used my SC'd 99 (with 220k) to haul a complete 2nd gen runner on a flatbed through the mountains of Colorado. While it towed like crap (WAAYYY over the towing capacity of that truck) it had plenty of power to pull it with.

And, we bolted on two of the sc's at over 210k (214 on mine, and 235 on my old mans. He has 270 now and still going strong).

Anyway, IMO, the only downside to the SC is the cost, as it is pricey. But it is one of the better mods you can do. If you follow through and get all the URD stuff, it is even better, but the stock fuel system is still plenty fun.

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
I already have 4.30s on my rig...I doubt i'll ever spend the money on the regear. Straight to SC for me. I've driven a regeared rig and it was still painfully slow

AxleIke

Adventurer
5.29s, auto, and 255/85r16s and I still NEED a S/C.:ylsmoke:

My truck is still unable to hold third on the passes...

You'll like the SC then. I never had an issue holding third, but now, if the speed limit is over 55, I can generally do them in 5th empty. If I"m loaded, I have to go to 4th, but I can accelerate going uphill in 4th.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I have been kicking this around for a while now and actually had the SC sitting in the garage ready to be installed when I got a wild hair to list it on ebay for 2x what I paid for it. It sold I shipped it to Australia and that ended the story. I was talking it over with my brother and drooling over a 2uz swap on T4R http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...n.html http://youtu.be/qIccmTAfrHA.....4.7 L 240 hp (179 kW) V8 (2001-04), 4.7 L 282 hp (210 kW) V8 with VVT-i (2005), 4.7 L 273 hp (204 kW) V8 with VVT-i (2006-07). Great power out of a reliable motor and about the same price as a SC. Well after a few adult beverages we decided for the money and time a SC with URD management system and 7th injector or the other thing. Taking that into consideration the SC is back in the running. I have 295's (33.3" OD) with 4.88's and it's good but nothing compared to the 4.0L in my brothers Tacoma, dads 4Runner, or the 4.7L in my wifes Sequoia. I need more power and I want it now.

http://youtu.be/qIccmTAfrHA

Aaron

Last edited:

AxleIke

Adventurer
I have been kicking this around for a while now and actually had the SC sitting in the garage ready to be installed when I got a wild hair to list it on ebay for 2x what I paid for it. It sold I shipped it to Australia and that ended the story. I was talking it over with my brother and drooling over a 2uz swap on T4R http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...n.html http://youtu.be/qIccmTAfrHA.....4.7 L 240 hp (179 kW) V8 (2001-04), 4.7 L 282 hp (210 kW) V8 with VVT-i (2005), 4.7 L 273 hp (204 kW) V8 with VVT-i (2006-07). Great power out of a reliable motor and about the same price as a SC. Well after a few adult beverages we decided for the money and time a SC with URD management system and 7th injector or the other thing. Taking that into consideration the SC is back in the running. I have 295's (33.3" OD) with 4.88's and it's good but nothing compared to the 4.0L in my brothers Tacoma, dads 4Runner, or the 4.7L in my wifes Sequoia. I need more power and I want it now.

http://youtu.be/qIccmTAfrHA

Aaron

Dude. 4.7, AND a supercharger. That would be the bomb. Actually, if you could figure out some way to stuff a giant 5.7 in there and supercharge that, a 500 horse 4runner would be something to see.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Dude. 4.7, AND a supercharger. That would be the bomb. Actually, if you could figure out some way to stuff a giant 5.7 in there and supercharge that, a 500 horse 4runner would be something to see.

No, No I meant instead of the 4.7 just SC the 3.4, cost is about the same but the SC'd 3.4 with URD management and 7th or other injector setup would be easier. Mind you the tranny and t-case will likely have to be used from the 4.7. I kept on my brother with wouldn't it be cool if..... but for the economical and just plain time involved I feel the SC with goodies would be better than an all out power plant swap.

Side note: the 4.0 from the Lexus SC400 line is good but only adds a minimal amount of power compared to the 3.4 + SC with goodies. Thus is why it was a popular swap into the 3.0 equipped 4Runners and trucks. Now the current 4.0 might be a good idea tooo...........

A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3