Suspension Thoughts or Comments

WillBeck

Adventurer
The new OME BP-51 series is entirely different from my post. They are more in the league of the OEM Raptor shocks with internal bypass, etc.

I'd say it depends on how much ground you want to cover per hour. The great part about "race" type shocks, is you can valve them to your liking, from Cadillac soft to rattle your teeth out stiff, all for about $20 in shims.

Don't forget the oil and nitrogen. And if you don't have a nitrogen bottle or regulator, that's another hit.

It's not free to be able to tune your own shocks.

codename607

Adventurer
So while I've been researching this topic I have come up with a different outlook on a lift kit. My guess is that most of you all will disagree but I think I'm going to go with a drop bracket kit. Most likely the one that RCD makes which is a 4.5 inch lift kit. After talking to a lot of people and a few suspension shops it seems that if I want to keep my rig reliable I should either stay under 2.5 inches of lift or go with a drop bracket kit. Since the angles are usually what causes all of the problems with bearings, cv axles and some other issues the drop bracket keeps all of this to stock settings.

Of course with this kind of lift you limit your down and up travel. Typically it's closer to the stock settings with this also. I'm never going to go rock crawling or do any crazy off roading. I've also been told that the ride quality of some of these drop bracket lifts are better that some cheap 3inch lift options.

What are your thoughts on this? Make any sense or am I going in the wrong direction?

MJCake1

After watching hours of video (you tube) of guys spending days in the Australian Outback, having to drive for hours on rough "roads" or going down long trails to get to the next campsite, or even anything resembling a town, I determined that OME is probably the safest way to go for a suspension upgrade for over landing. I believe most, if not all, of the "utes" driven had the OME system. It's not made for desert racing, but that's not what I define as Over Landing. ICON, FOX, and KING also make great systems, but they are more geared for the high speed crowd. Don't misunderstand me, I'd love to have any of those three under my truck, but I cant afford the $3-4,000 for a full suspension kit. If I was doing a LT kit, I'd definitely go with one of them. Bilstien 6112s are new and look promising, but I haven't seen much research on them. What ever you go with, I recommend replacing the UCAs. After I installed my OME kit, I waited about 6 months for the UCAs. I bought ICONs tubular UCAs, and I can tell you, it makes a huge difference.
Tell me more about the UCA differences please. I often wondered. ..

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MJCake1

I'm going to x2 this. I have Kings on all four corners, and the ride is unmatched, even by my bosses fancy new Land Rover.

OME, although very very good, is still old twin tube technology. They will not be able to take a sustained beating like Bilstein 5160's, 6112's or a Fox 2.0" kit.

For example, I'd like to see an OME kit do this...

[video]https://youtu.be/-_yjShdbUMI[/video]
Please

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

deadbeat son

Explorer
So while I've been researching this topic I have come up with a different outlook on a lift kit. My guess is that most of you all will disagree but I think I'm going to go with a drop bracket kit. Most likely the one that RCD makes which is a 4.5 inch lift kit. After talking to a lot of people and a few suspension shops it seems that if I want to keep my rig reliable I should either stay under 2.5 inches of lift or go with a drop bracket kit. Since the angles are usually what causes all of the problems with bearings, cv axles and some other issues the drop bracket keeps all of this to stock settings.

Of course with this kind of lift you limit your down and up travel. Typically it's closer to the stock settings with this also. I'm never going to go rock crawling or do any crazy off roading. I've also been told that the ride quality of some of these drop bracket lifts are better that some cheap 3inch lift options.

What are your thoughts on this? Make any sense or am I going in the wrong direction?

I'm confused. Why is it you need 4.5" of lift if you're not going to "go rock crawling or do any crazy off roading?" A 2" lift will clear 33" tires without any serious issues. Stock suspension has no trouble accommodating 32" tires. What are your objectives?

forty2

Adventurer
I'm confused. Why is it you need 4.5" of lift if you're not going to "go rock crawling or do any crazy off roading?" A 2" lift will clear 33" tires without any serious issues. Stock suspension has no trouble accommodating 32" tires. What are your objectives?

I have all these same questions for OP. What are you hoping to achieve with your lift? Drop bracket just unnecessarily raises CG with little to no benefit that I can see. If overlanding/mild off road is your intended use you'd be far better served with true suspension mods geared toward performance and loading. Even if you're just hitting pavement and parking lots I still don't know that I'd support the silliness of taking a torch to the crossmember for looks alone, but you were expecting disagreement so whatever.

tgreening

Expedition Leader

Come on man. Have you SEEN the condition of the parking lots at the malls these days? You can't be Rollin stock there and expect to come away unscarred. ;)

codename607

Adventurer
The main reason is because I want a lift and I don't want to decrease the reliability of my truck. Let me provide more info...

When I first picked up my tacoma I planned on keeping the suspension stock for the first couple of years until I was able to pay it off. After driving it for a few months now I really dislike not having a lifted truck, almost to the point of disliking the truck in all. This is my first vehicle that I've driven stock in a very long time.

So in the last few weeks I have been looking at adding a lift kit and 33s. I started researching common issues that Tacomas have after adding a lift and I came up with a long list of reasons I should stay stock. Then I wondered if the reasons these issues started coming up was due to the quality and type of lifts. Turns out that the reason for the issues is the angles and geometry changes that are added because of the lifts.

Then I started asking questions about suspension options that allow you to add a lift while keeping the angles and geometry similar to the stock settings.

Everything points to a 2inch lift or a drop bracket lift. Since a 2inch isn't what I'm looking for the drop bracket kit seems like the best option. Of course I will have downsides to this lift but I am more likely to have issues by adding the typical 3inch lift and that's not what I want to end up with.

deadbeat son

Explorer
The main reason is because I want a lift and I don't want to decrease the reliability of my truck. Let me provide more info...So in the last few weeks I have been looking at adding a lift kit and 33s...Everything points to a 2inch lift or a drop bracket lift. Since a 2inch isn't what I'm looking for...

What's wrong with a 2" lift? That will clear the 33" tires you want to run. It seems looks/style are your primary concern; 33" tires will probably look a little funny on a 4.5" drop bracket lift.

codename607

Adventurer
What's wrong with a 2" lift? That will clear the 33" tires you want to run. It seems looks/style are your primary concern; 33" tires will probably look a little funny on a 4.5" drop bracket lift.

Yes, you are correct. Looks and style are playing a huge roll in this decision. 2" doesn't look any different than stock from my eyes.

Here is a pic of 33s on a 4.5 RCD kit. Looks pretty good to me.
image-jpeg.791588

deadbeat son

Explorer
Yes, you are correct. Looks and style are playing a huge roll in this decision. 2" doesn't look any different than stock from my eyes.

I understand, just remember this is a site where form often follows function so you'll probably get a lot of push back or rolled eyes.

Regardless, the only thing I would caution you about is resale. Many people would likely be hesitant to buy a used truck with its crossmember cut out to install a DB lift. If you trade cars regularly, that could be a concern.

I understand, just remember this is a site where form often follows function so you'll probably get a lot of push back or rolled eyes.

Form follows function period. Not just here on ExPo.

I build off-road vehicles for a living and I would never lift anything that didn't need it, ie- my Dodge 2500 tow rig. I would also never lift a trail rig any more than is required to get the job done.

Beauty comes in the form of a well thought out, well executed build, not something built with looks in mind.

On a side note, I don't know where they're at in the development process, but Front Range Offroad is working on a bolt-on IFS system for Tacomas that is completely equally on and off road. Give them a call for details.

codename607

Adventurer
Regardless, the only thing I would caution you about is resale. Many people would likely be hesitant to buy a used truck with its crossmember cut out to install a DB lift. If you trade cars regularly, that could be a concern.

Ah resale...great point. I do plan on keeping this truck for a while but at some point I am sure I will trade it in. This is something I should consider. Thanks!

On a side note, I don't know where they're at in the development process, but Front Range Offroad is working on a bolt-on IFS system for Tacomas that is completely equally on and off road. Give them a call for details.

Thanks for the info on Front Range...I'll give them a call. Since you build off road vehicles for a living do you think that I'm correct on the point that the drop bracket lifts is a more reliable way to lift? Being that it keeps the stock angles and such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl