Suspension Thoughts or Comments

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I've been running 2.75" lift up front for 80k miles, no issues. Just saying

Regarding the DB, there is no way I'd let anyone cut my frame, especially not for something that purely for aesthetics. A torn CV boot is fairly easy to deal with. Recutting and removing a DB would be a major headache.

I'm not saying lifts are a bad thing, just that it's a slippery slope.

Bigger tires = lift and gears. When you're re-gearing a diff, why not throw in a locker? Now that you've got a locker (or two) why not dual cases? Wow, look at this cool truck with gears, lockers and dual cases...with stock bumpers...I need bumpers. Gotta fill that hole in the front bumper with a winch!

A fun slope for sure, but slippery.

Thanks for the info on Front Range...I'll give them a call. Since you build off road vehicles for a living do you think that I'm correct on the point that the drop bracket lifts is a more reliable way to lift? Being that it keeps the stock angles and such.

In theory, yes.

In reality, I have not seen many drop bracket lifts that I would use on my own truck, but honestly, I have never owned a truck with a drop bracket so I can't speak from experience. My engineering mind at work tells me that there's got to be a better way.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
2.5 inch lift kit plus 2 inch body lift. Lifting the body won't increase COG as much as a bracket lift

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WillBeck

Adventurer
I would keep the body lift at 1" if you end up doing it. That will net you 3.5" of lift, which is more than adequate.

My truck has barely 1.5", maybe 2" of lift, and i have yet to come across an obstacle i couldn't conquer. I wheel with guys running lockers and 33's, and i have no problem keeping up on 32's.

Height is over rated. It generally reduces on road handling, raises the center of gravity, and as many have said, the further you get from stock, the further things snowball.

If reliability is your main goal, get some Bilstein 5100's, set them to medium, run 33's, and get a good rear leaf pack.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
He doesn't care about tire clearance. He just wants the tall look. Why not just tell him what his options are for s taller look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm not saying lifts are a bad thing, just that it's a slippery slope.

Bigger tires = lift and gears. When you're re-gearing a diff, why not throw in a locker? Now that you've got a locker (or two) why not dual cases? Wow, look at this cool truck with gears, lockers and dual cases...with stock bumpers...I need bumpers. Gotta fill that hole in the front bumper with a winch!

A fun slope for sure, but slippery.

He doesn't care about tire clearance. He just wants the tall look. Why not just tell him what his options are for s taller look.

Might as well go all the way...

hawaii1-Copy.jpg

codename607

Adventurer
Yeah that does look like something you would see in Hawaii. The only cool thing about them is that they do take them off road.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure I'd call that mess up there in #38 a suspension. I think the 80's called and wants it's truck back, along with whatever Billy Bob is obviously still stuck in them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad