Suzuki Samurai Custom Camper Build

trackhead

Adventurer
Yep, the neighbors are going to think you finally went around the bend.

In other words it looks awesome!

Thanks for the answers to my questions, very nice indeed.

I've "talked" with everyone I can find on the internet that has a similar set up on the Samurai. Most lock the rear diff, nobody has had axle or wheel bearing issues, many have the 1.6 liter.

I've seen videos of people with open diffs that do surprisingly well in 1-2 feet of snow on mostly level, or mellow inclines.

I will probably just lock the rear and leave the front open until I somehow find a bag of cash laying around to pay for everything.

trackhead

Adventurer
Found some 1999 Vitara hubs at a pick and pull. You need these low profile hubs to keep the axle/hub locked all the time, and also the lower profile so you can fit the track over the hub. Learned this from a guy on BBS Zuwharrie.

The donor.
2011-11-02_12-32-31_590.jpg

2011-11-02_12-32-24_555.jpg

Comparison.
2011-11-02_13-34-22_937.jpg

Perfect size reduction to fit inside the 2" spacers.
2011-11-02_13-34-58_975.jpg

trackhead

Adventurer
Got three of four on. Maybe I'll get the last one on tomorrow.

Front view, showing the how the Tatou's are just a bit taller than a 31" tire.
2011-11-02_17-35-58_333.jpg

I hope it fits out of the garage;)
2011-11-02_17-36-33_526.jpg

trackhead

Adventurer
All four tracks are one. Still have to fab some anti-rotation brackets and a little track tuning, other than that, I think it's ready.

Guess the spare tire is of no use.
2011-11-03_10-30-18_617.jpg

I might put that tent trailer on skis and tow it in for a portable ski hut.
2011-11-03_10-30-29_796.jpg

My neighbors wonder about me, and my mental health.
2011-11-03_10-30-48_295.jpg

Can't exactly "burn rubber", but 10-20mph should be easy enough on packed trails.
2011-11-03_10-31-07_525.jpg

trackhead

Adventurer
Turns really easy in the snow. No need for 4-Low with the gear reduction from the tracks. 4 Low in 1st gear is about 2mph at 3,000rpm.
2011-11-05_08-01-31_686.jpg

2011-11-05_08-01-49_593.jpg

2011-11-05_08-02-15_652.jpg

airmanwilliams

looks great. great timing last night on snowing just when you got done with your tracks so you could test it out. going to be selling those manual locking hubs of yours? Thinking of taking my auto hubs off my sidekick and adding manual hubs.

trackhead

Adventurer
looks great. great timing last night on snowing just when you got done with your tracks so you could test it out. going to be selling those manual locking hubs of yours? Thinking of taking my auto hubs off my sidekick and adding manual hubs.

I think I might keep them for summer. Doesn't unlocking them make for better mpg?

airmanwilliams

well im getting around 25mpg right now with my 31" tires but from reading about the reliability of the auto locking hubs and the manual locking hubs im thinking a swap would be in order for me. Im not sure on the mpg loss but I will ask around on that as I dont want to really lose too much right now when im trying to sell this on ksl.

One thing I have been meaning to ask. How are your springs holding up on this? Another guy in sandy is thinking of doing something like this on his old tintop and was worried of some sagging.

trackhead

Adventurer
One thing I have been meaning to ask. How are your springs holding up on this? Another guy in sandy is thinking of doing something like this on his old tintop and was worried of some sagging.

I have 3" lift trail gear springs. My vehicle weighs 2480lbs with half tank of gas. I had some rear sag, so I put in some Airlift air bags and now it's perfect. Airbags are nice for variable loads in the camper.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Thanks for reminding me how much I like winter in Oregon....God I hate snow......but you truck looks really cool...enjoying seeing it from afar w/o the cold.:coffeedrink:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

What a rip off! We did not get a spec of snow! All we got was some stinking rain! Like Oregon or something! ( ;) )

Seriously though, why are you getting snow and I am not, I am really annoyed at our lack of snow in Happy Valley!

Truck looks super! Glad to see you got to go and play a touch with it, did you take it out on the roads and such? Perhaps down to the smiths? That would be fun!

bobDog

Expedition Leader
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

What a rip off! We did not get a spec of snow! All we got was some stinking rain! Like Oregon or something! ( ;) )

Seriously though, why are you getting snow and I am not, I am really annoyed at our lack of snow in Happy Valley!

Truck looks super! Glad to see you got to go and play a touch with it, did you take it out on the roads and such? Perhaps down to the smiths? That would be fun!
Like Oregon.......That's cute....I love it when someone actually gets the fun in a comment......Dude can I be your friend?
:coffeedrink:

trackhead

Adventurer

Nope, don't need another ticket on my record.

Spent the morning working on the front anti-rotation bracket. They don't have anything available from Camoplast, so you have to pretty much pull something out of your ***. The front is harder, because of the steering, so you have to make something that will accommodate the stress without destroying the knuckle. Hopefully my ghetto design will work.

I think as far as transporting this rig goes.....I'm just going to take the track set up off, throw the tracks on my mini trailer, drive to my destination, then put the tracks back on. It's just like changing tires, more or less. Plus, I like the idea of not trailering.

Going to try to finish the pop-top by December 1st, that's the goal.

Have a hut trip planned in March, and maybe a couple other over-night trips. That's probably all I'll use it, as like everyone else in the world, time is limited with kids, work, etc.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Wow, so you recon you would get a fine for driving on the road? I had no idea that it would be illegal, well I guess that shows what I know about those things...

Bobdog, Sure thing pal... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater