Swapping truck for a SUV - anybody done that and can share your experience? Pros and cons?

drabina

Didn't know where to post it so I picked this forum as it should have most number of truck and SUV type vehicles.

I am currently driving a 2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 truck. Handy vehicle for our camping, biking, skiing and boating (inflatable) adventures. Unfortunately, I do have a habit of replacing my cars every 2-3 years so I just came up with an idea of getting an older SUV to replace the Chevy truck. Make and model is still under research but leaning towards 90s Montero, 4Runner, Tahoe or something like that (will get a daily driver as a second car as well). Pro of such swap would be the passenger cabin volume as my kids are getting older and the mid-size Chevy is getting a bit on a smaller size. That plus a fully enclosed cabin that includes the cargo space. Some of the SUVs also have a third row seating which may come in handy. Con would be the cargo space as I can drop three bikes, inflatable boat with an engine or all the camping equipment in the truck's bed and be done with it. Packing a SUV would be more of a logistical task and would require additional equipment like bike/ski racks. One thing I know, is that I don't want to go full size as the truck wouldn't fit in my garage.

So my question to a fellow forum members is, did you replace your truck with an SUV and like the change or are you missing the versatility of a truck with bed? Let me know your thoughts and experiences.

bigdogyj

I know you said you weren't interested in full size but I downsized from this...
d658319804d138bd7349e4f21610a939.jpg

To this...
cb0d0282e20d1abb26386ad6a5d3eff7.jpg

It can still fit in most standard size garages...
9f1ce1442544827434e6d5fc55fe40ae.jpg

And it can still do work when necessary.
3fd85ad6dab6690bb79ae792de671da2.jpg

ba646330b83bfe570487ac139f0c5078.jpg

975f0c9aa9e4661a33df72e6569083a2.jpg

The only thing I miss about my truck is the tailgate. Which is not deal breaker. The benefits of seating for 8 and enclosed, dry, secure cargo area with the ability to sleep in it and still tow most trailers is a total win for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I went from a Suburban to a pick up. Personally, I wouldn't go back. Tough to bring firewood and other dirty items while also towing a holiday trailer...

Also, our holiday trailer is stored. A utility trailer would have to be for me as well.

It would be a pain to have to go get it, hook up, use it and drop it off if I want to haul something. Being able to throw something in the back of the truck is just easier for me.

drabina

So it looks like it comes down to this problem: bigger passenger space or bigger cargo space. Truck is very versatile especially if you are homeowner but since I am 6'4" and my teenage kids are most likely catching up to me shortly, even the crew cab of the Colorado is getting too small. But I am not even considering a full size truck. It won't fit in the garage. Plus as I have mentioned before, I am ready for a change. Just don't want this change to be something I will regret.

Not a ton of stuff but that's how we go camping now. I guess in a SUV the stuff would have to be packed up vertically behind the rear seat or even on the roof basket but then it is less secure from the elements than the truck's bed with a soft cover.

camping.jpg

And this is our bike situation. Not sure if I am up for mounting and removing bike rack every time we go for a ride. The three or four bike racks are usually big and heavy.

bikes.jpg

Minus of this truck is the ski hauling during our winter trips. Skis are fine in the bed (though just roaming freely) but when we travel as a family of four, the boots are not fitting in the truck so they have to be on the bed. This means they are super cold when you put them on. Also with all the winter gear, extra clothes, helmets, etc, we usually are pretty cramped in the cabin.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
So it looks like it comes down to this problem: bigger passenger space or bigger cargo space. Truck is very versatile especially if you are homeowner but since I am 6'4" and my teenage kids are most likely catching up to me shortly, even the crew cab of the Colorado is getting too small. But I am not even considering a full size truck. It won't fit in the garage. Plus as I have mentioned before, I am ready for a change. Just don't want this change to be something I will regret.

Not a ton of stuff but that's how we go camping now. I guess in a SUV the stuff would have to be packed up vertically behind the rear seat or even on the roof basket but then it is less secure from the elements than the truck's bed with a soft cover.

View attachment 624021

And this is our bike situation. Not sure if I am up for mounting and removing bike rack every time we go for a ride. The three or four bike racks are usually big and heavy.

View attachment 624022

Minus of this truck is the ski hauling during our winter trips. Skis are fine in the bed (though just roaming freely) but when we travel as a family of four, the boots are not fitting in the truck so they have to be on the bed. This means they are super cold when you put them on. Also with all the winter gear, extra clothes, helmets, etc, we usually are pretty cramped in the cabin.
I can't tell if your truck has the 5'5 bed or 6'. If it's the 6' a full size truck with the 5'5 bed probably wouldn't be too much longer.

drabina

I can't tell if your truck has the 5'5 bed or 6'. If it's the 6' a full size truck with the 5'5 bed probably wouldn't be too much longer.
I have the crew cab short bed. The problem is that the back wall of my garage has some woodworking equipment which makes the garage shorter. The Colorado fits with about 2" of space in the front and back. If I am not mistaken Montero would be something like 20" shorter than my truck. Of course some extended SUVs won't fit but I am not looking for the biggest Suburban or Excursion.

buellconvert

The biggest thing about not having a truck for me was the open bed and the ability to throw all the nasty stuff in it that you wouldn't want in a SUV cabin, so when I didn't have a truck I always had a utility trailer that I could use. They're fairly inexpensive and if you have a place to stash it when not in use, back corner of the yard or something, it doesn't ever get in the way. That's what has worked for me in the past anyway.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

bigdogyj

What about a Tahoe and forego the 3rd row for cargo space and to keep your boots warm. That should be about same length as Colorado if not shorter. You can always store the 3rd row in the garage until it's needed for additional seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

phsycle

Adventurer
I’d get a Tahoe or Suburban for sure. Midsize SUV’s won’t work with all that extra stuff you’ve got. Never mind that you’re 6’4”.

I’ve had both truck and SUV, and what works best for you will depend on your usage. I do a lot of outdoors stuff like you do and would not like messing up the interior with dirty and stinky shoes, helmets, wetsuits, fish, big game, etc. I carry mulch, fertilizer, lumber, etc. for home projects as well. Some people are just fine stuffing all that inside and deep cleaning every now and then. Not me.

Yes, you can do it with a trailer. But I personally hate towing and storing a trailer.

Either way you go, though, your “mistake” at least, won’t be long-lived.
...I do have a habit of replacing my cars every 2-3 years...

..Just don't want this change to be something I will regret.

pigsammy

I have a yukon, yukon xl and extended cab dodge 1 ton. I get the most use by far out of the suvs as far as camping or hunting. We have made multiple trips out west in them.

The yukon is set up as a dedicated camping truck, with a bed platform. The xl carries hog dogs in crates, camping gear, pulls trailer with a buggy or samurai, whatever. A 5x10 trailer is not a burden and will carry a four wheeler and dog box as well. The dodge primarily gets used when a big trailer is being pulled, like a horse trailer.
If I had to pick one to use when our kids were here, it would be the yukon xl if the space was not an issue. A trailer is not that big a hassle unless you haul large things very often. The yukon would also work well. Use a hitch carrier with a tote for more storage. Any of these would be roomier than your current ride. You'll learn a new packing program quickly. And you'll love the comfort inside.

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

Either one can be mitigated with the right trailer behind it.
However, if you want the ability to carry more people and store items in a fully enclosed, locked and more controlled temp/humidity environment and be able to sleep peacefully knowing that at any moment, you can crawl forward, hop in the driver seat and be GONE--than the SUV for you may be the better choice. I have owned both, and would never go back to a pickup if I can avoid it. So for a man like me, I wait with bated breath for a full sized Tremor/Power Wagon/Excursion class, more off-road worthy SUV with a factory winch...

YMMV.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I would go back to an SUV in a heartbeat except that I don't really like the current crop of full sized SUVs (Tahoe/Expedition.) Sadly it seems like most modern full sized SUVs have morphed into mini vans where "utility" is sacrificed for the sake of passenger comfort (seats that fold into floors using up cargo space, no flat load decks, etc.) I'm also not thrilled about the plethora of electric motors and gadgets (power folding seats, power liftgate etc) as they strike me as potential failure points down the road.

But I greatly prefer the "single cabin" of an SUV to the "divided cabin" of a pickup, even a crew cab like mine.

drabina

Thanks for all the replies and insight. I can't do a trailer since there is no place to store it on my property. I would have to get creative packing the SUV. Some of our items are dirty but I do not see a problem carrying such stuff in the back. WeatherTech sells those rubber floor liners that we could use.

The best SUV for me would be one with a bench seat in the front that can accommodate driver and two passengers. We could then fold the rear seats and have super big space in the back for our gear. Miss my 1970 Chevy Kingswood station wagon that had such layout.

phsycle

Adventurer
Thanks for all the replies and insight. I can't do a trailer since there is no place to store it on my property. I would have to get creative packing the SUV. Some of our items are dirty but I do not see a problem carrying such stuff in the back. WeatherTech sells those rubber floor liners that we could use.

The best SUV for me would be one with a bench seat in the front that can accommodate driver and two passengers. We could then fold the rear seats and have super big space in the back for our gear. Miss my 1970 Chevy Kingswood station wagon that had such layout.

I don’t know of a current SUV with a bench seat up front. Wonder if any Fleet vehicles do.

Another SUV you might consider, especially if exterior size is an issue, is a Durango. YouTube reviews show fairly large interior and available 3rd row. Nice towing numbers as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle