Swing-out tire carrier for 2" receiver Hitch

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Came accross this product in the latest 4Wheelparts Magazine. This swing-out tire carrier plugs into the 2" receiver. I really dig the idea, for my taste however, it sticks out too far back.

What do you think?
main.php

main.php

main.php

http://www.tiregate.com/

PS I hoped the pics would show up :(

rjcj-8

Adventurer
Interesting idea, I'd be curious as to how much extra play it adds to the hitch when pulling a trailer.

Swiss,
A little off subject but we're neighbors. I'm in Rome as well. So Howdy neighbor.
If you work for the Automotive OEM Supplier that comes to mind I work a few roads over at a tax software company.
We should meet up some time and compare rigs, I've lifted my Carry on trailer and setup a Overland on it.

erin

Explorer
Its a cool idea, and the design necessitates it sit further back, but I would think for a few hundred more, you could have a complete bumper/swing gate. They seem to make good products, but there pricing seems alittle high to me.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
erin said:
Its a cool idea, and the design necessitates it sit further back, but I would think for a few hundred more, you could have a complete bumper/swing gate. They seem to make good products, but there pricing seems alittle high to me.
Pricing in the article at 4wheelparts was around $350.00; not sure if that's a typo though (as so often)

TheRoadie

Explorer
The Swiss said:
Pricing in the article at 4wheelparts was around $350.00; not sure if that's a typo though (as so often)
It was indeed a typo. List is $690. I called them the day the magazine came out, and they coughed a bit and gave me a one-time deal in the low $500's. I've got a custom bumper being designed for my build in progress, but this is cool for now, and then I'l sell it to one of my local Trailblazer or Envoy friends. They have a trick mount inside the receiver called a "wedge lock" where you line up the pin holes, then use a 3/4" socket on a 12" extension to pull on a wedge that absolutely locks the unit against wiggling. My 250 pounds jumping on the far edge of the hitch-gate cannot move it 1/8". The HiLift mounts between the tire and the truck, and the manufacturer has a prototype Blitz can holder they'll announce next week.

hg1.jpg

hg6.jpg

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Big question is on the overall quality of it. Also, it will wiggle around a little bit due to the nature of movement in 2" receivers. What I would do with it? If it is of quality, I would use it to build a real bumper using the parts to save time on labor...

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

For that kind of money and then the real question of how big a tire can you actually carry on it. I would thing a 33x12.5 might go but a 35 or better and that is going to come apart especially if your on rough trails to any amount. I would rather pay another $300-400 bucks and get something that would hold up, hold the bigger tire and fit closer to your vehicle.....just my 2 cents.

P.S. It's a great idea for those vehicles that have no aftermarket support or no local fabrication shops around.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
pete.wilson said:
P.S. It's a great idea for those vehicles that have no aftermarket support or no local fabrication shops around.

I would imagine the other advantage would be the fact that you could take it off when you don't need it (like for driving to work.) The resultant loss of weight could save some $$ at the gas pump.

I'm constantly amazed at the number of things you can plug into a 2" receiver. My Taco is the first vehicle I've ever owned to be equipped with one and the possibilities are tantalizing...:)

However, as for the spare tire - I'd be a little worried. Any serious off-roading includes a lot of bumpy, up and down driving and I'd be worried about the carrier flexing into the tailgate, or some weakness in the welds causing it to break. A big spare tire can weigh 70-100lbs, and if the mounting point is 15-16" from the place where it attaches to the carrier, you're talking about a HUGE amount of leverage being applied to that one point. And if it's made robustly enough to resist that, It would have to weigh a ton. It just seems to me that sooner or later you reach the point of diminishing returns with it. I like the idea of carrying the spare on the back of the truck, gives you more clearance underneath and makes the spare more accessible, but I think if I was going to go that route I'd look at one of the nice custom bumpers made by the company formerly known as Stout Engineering (can't remember what they're called now.)

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
FYI most swing out bumpers are $1800 bare minimum. A lot of time and labor to build one. It would be probably a last resort for me to use that (versus the labor) but that setup, if its quality, might help someone out or some sort of setup. Cut off the hitch part and make into a FJ40 rear bumper with swing out. At $690 that is a hell of a deal...

I am helping a friend install a 4x4 labs bumper onto a FZJ80 as we speak. It is the best setup on the market. The kit alone (fab yourself) was nearly $1500 before shipping. We are at least a dozen hours into it (admittedly a little slow) and have not even started the swingout aspect of it. It is about $3000 installed I think...

Hope it helps,
Andre

TheRoadie

Explorer
Martinjmpr said:
I'm constantly amazed at the number of things you can plug into a 2" receiver. My Taco is the first vehicle I've ever owned to be equipped with one and the possibilities are tantalizing...:)
...So, I assume you've all seen and laughed over this before this newbie discovered EP?

Bdiia.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk