Swing out tire carrier storage rack Version 2

WSS

Rock Stacker
I am in the process of redoing my rear storage rack to make it more compact, lighter and used a little different than I had intended.

I'll show a few pics of the V1 setup (less than a year old) and give a brief scenario of what I would like to accomplish.

ALL input is welcome. I went it alone last build LOL.

Here is the setup now, The build and the actual trail use.

IMG_5862_zps9i9t3k7cA_zpsye27wb6g.jpg

The layout and build:

IMG_2419_zpskgtroo7g.jpg

IMG_2412_zpsb9yrlcbs.jpg

IMG_2417_zpsnfy6dvj9.jpg

IMG_2424_zpsl5dpjzlb.jpg

IMG_2425_zpstocggdfg.jpg

WSS

Rock Stacker
As you can see it is "overloaded", I am going to use a Pelican soft case (24can) and the new ATC hanging picnic/camp kitchen case but keep the stanley 2gl water jug.

Here are some features and comparisons to the old Pelican hard case.The ATC case is a work of art and well thought out. I have many ATC products, but this one really meets the need. Well made like the other ATC bags.

side by side

IMG_4192_zpsjfigobim.jpg

IMG_4194_zpsxw3itwxd.jpg

Fits a small grill and cutting board too

IMG_4195_zpswz0lpysn.jpg

All the cooking and campfire needs

IMG_4204_zpswxduwkkk.jpg

Some mount options

IMG_4497_zpsw9fhi5gp.jpg

IMG_4494_zpst64mhage.jpg

IMG_4495_zpsh08nthoc.jpg

Easy to access

IMG_4493_zpsarjmf449.jpg

So I can shrink the rack quit a bit if I use a soft case and the ATC bag/case. The rack is bolted to the swingout frame so it will be easy to make another and use the same hole pattern.

Any hurdles I have not forseen? Any good pics or links to racks like this?

Thanks guys!

WSS

Last edited:

WSS

Rock Stacker
I found a new Pelican 24 soft cooler for $170 shipped to me. I pulled the trigger and should have it by next weekend. The footprint dimensions are 17"x10" (13" tall) and the ATC kit is 16"x12" (4" thick, but could expand if needed). Our Stanley 2gl water jug is 10" round. So based on those specs, I could go either 43"x12" or 32"x17". Either would work and I would have a little room for a small item behind or around the water jug.

The stanley water jug has a small footprint for 2gl and stays cold for days on the rack, I have been impressed with it. I have a long spout that hooks on to the spigot to make filling cups and bottles easy while on the rack.

WSS

Rock Stacker
Ok, V2 rack has been made. Not installed yet, I'll do that later tonight. I used thinner brackets and corners on this build, 14ga instead of 12ga, not mush but will be a little lighter.

IMG_4511_zpsr2dimfc8.jpg

IMG_4512_zps69dshcyh.jpg

IMG_4513_zpsyygn9n0f.jpg

Upside down to attach top rail

IMG_4515_zpsgolpbsdz.jpg

Spreaders double as tie down holders

IMG_4516_zpsyhrmf8oh.jpg

Settings seemed to play nice today

IMG_4518_zps7sddhvuh.jpg

Finished rack ready to mount

IMG_4519_zpsy1kosctt.jpg

Reactions: WVI

WSS

Rock Stacker
Well, Our trip to Calico is canceled. California just went on lock down. Boo. I was hoping to give the new rack a shake down this weekend but hotels and non-essential travel is a no go tonight.

Here are some more pics:

Getting ready for drilling

IMG_4522_zpsxsry1wlo.jpg

I also redid my rotopax mounts, they were a little too close to rear window and door and would bump once in a while. Figured better get the can moved before I break something

IMG_4525_zpsq3s8fiub.jpg

Here is rack painted and drying up on rack

IMG_4526_zpstevgbb4w.jpg

WSS

Rock Stacker
Nice. Your welding skills look to have improved drmatically.

Ya, you would never believe I manufacture Automated weld machines. The truth is I don't weld small wire much. I have practiced more lately using less than 1/16" wire. I enjoy welding but spend most of my time drawing cad and cutting cnc plasma.

WSS

Rock Stacker
Here are a few more pics showing the overall build. I did not build the bumper or spindle. The Bumper feels solid and the swing out bearing was big.I added to it and modified.

Here is one of my straps (30 footer) attached to the inner spare, I used a strap to keep in place.

IMG_4535_zpstjxipcfw.jpg

The inner portion of the swingout holds a shovel and MAX via Quickfists, the top tapers enough to use that space.

IMG_4537_zps5nmdq8f5.jpg

IMG_4538_zpsahghtmbl.jpg

While not bumper related, I did put this on today. A friend gave me 2. They are made by Milton and are made to fit any kind of pneumatic coupling/quick connect.

IMG_4544_zpsfml6i1cx.jpg

A layout table that you have to move with a forklift is a proper layout table. ?

Vast improvement on the welds as well. Very nicely done.

Reactions: WSS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle