swingout tiregate question

sasaholic

Adventurer
after blowing a bead in 5 feet of snow yesterday its time to get the spare from out from underneith the truck and build the swingout tire carrier that i had planed on doing from the beginning. im looking at all the different hinge style. i was thinking about using a one inch bolt in double shear with a heavy sleave and poly pushings. do you think the poly bushings would be strong enough to take the weight? i will have bumps between the arm and bumper when its closed to there will be little pressure on the bushings at "rest". tell me what u guys think.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
poly bushings will not work for what you want.

im partial to two mounts in double sheer. i used two with .5" grade 8 bolts on my tire carrier, with the swing end supported when its closed.

if you choose to go with your proposed design, use delirin bushings. i found mine on ebay, fairly good quality. price was right and for something that isnt a suspension component, it was perfect.

sasaholic

Adventurer
why wont they work? just curious im thinking of going with two mounts also now that i think about my design. do you have any pics of your setup. also i was thinking about using barrel hinges, but what keeps the whole carrier from lifting up? may be a dumb question, but have never worked with them before and cant tell from pics

seanz0rz

Adventurer
poly bushings flex, which is what makes them good for suspension components, especially components that move in directions in addition to rotating around the bolt. what you dont want in a tire carrier is alot of flex at the piviots.

this page from my buildup over at ultimateyota details the tire gate:
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=8072.90

IMG_2262.jpg

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Poly bushings are not intended to be a true rotational bushing. They are designed to mostly isolate NVH and then have some minor rotational abilities.

For a hinge use a bushing intended for the job. Were it me I'd use oilite-bronze bushings from Mcmaster.com

sasaholic

Adventurer
that picture is exactly what i want to do. where would i find delrin bushings? any local chain stores like ace, fastenal, or grainger

seanz0rz

Adventurer
kartek in corona, ca sells them, but without knowing where you are located, i wouldnt know who would have them.

none of those places would have them i would think. i got mine from ebay, but many places around the web sell them. you would find them at an offroad shop/fab place. any place that does custom racers, buggies, that kind of thing

sasaholic

Adventurer
im in northern california redding specifically, i found oilite-bronze bushings on graingers webside, so hopefully i can pick up a couple pairs tomorrow at there store

151fab

Observer
im in northern california redding specifically, i found oilite-bronze bushings on graingers webside, so hopefully i can pick up a couple pairs tomorrow at there store

That is exactly what you should be using if you don't want to go through the trouble of using true bearings and seals. A set of sealed needle bearings would be my first choice down here in the desert with all the sand and abrasiveness but you should be fine with oilite solid (sleeve) bearings as long as you remember that any solid bearing, whether synthetic or metal, will wear. Get a flanged version or a set of thrust washers to protect the edges of you pivot from galling the mounts.

Buy it from www.mcmaster.com but be aware that once you go to that website you will find a million other projects you didn't know you had to do.

Other things to check out on that site:

latches, specifically "pull action toggle clamps"
drawer slides
cabinet latches
quick release pins
weld-in pins
springs
bolts

Call Luke at 4X4Labs he sells very heavy duty spindle assemblies and all the components you may need for the the swingout. He is very close to you in Grass Valley. He made our rear and front bumper and they are sweeet...

6012_115860712205_62931757205_2184180_2748564_n.jpg

6012_123821807205_62931757205_2285013_6418743_n.jpg

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I am getting less and less enamored with the trailer spindle variants all of the time. The leverage that the tire has on these is huge. The two separate pivots shown above are better so long as they are attached to something rigid. If just attached to a vertical post then may as well use the trailer spindles.

Casper

Adventurer
Not sure if you have considered this route, but I really like it. Seems very strong (had it for a year with no issues) and if one does happen to break, they are only $12. Hiems. Two on each swing out. Here are some photos.

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

Smooth swinging, very adjustable and just different and cool

Just another opinion.

Cheers,
Josh
&
Porthos
:smiley_drive:

maXTERRA

Adventurer
I'm using oilite bushings from McMaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com)
6338k439 flange sleeve bushings, grade 8 1"x6" hex bolt & LW.
DSC03176.jpg

DSC03177.jpg

DSC03178.jpg

I'm now adding a grease zerk in the hinge tube to primarily prevent rust in the sleeve & bolt (the bushings don't quite meet in the middle).
Had mine going on two years now and still very tight and smooth operating.
Latch is a Southco A2-10-501-21 from biscoindustries.com

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven