Symmetry Trailers unable to remedy, please help…dangerous Timbren suspension issues

Teardropper

How heavy is your rig? Just curious
1325 pounds. It's a #9, 2200 pound axle down rated to 1500 pounds so it rides like a dream.

I understand that all currently manufactured U.S. Army utility trailers have Dexter torsion axles under them. Here's a friend's teardrop with a failed Timbren:

0it0HNK.jpg

Tony

dxtremist2

Finally…

According to the customer service and an engineer at Timbren, turns out the builder, “Symmetry Trailers” installed the wrong type of Timbren suspension for the build. Wasn’t the wrong size after all.

It required the Heavy Duty 5200# suspension for off road driving and what the trailer was designed for in the first place. What was installed was a road model.

They were able to identify off of the pictures I sent with the model numbers on since the builder refuses to repair. We are now working on a heavy duty straight axle to fix their mistake.

Thanks all for your advice.

Last edited:

dxtremist2

STI is independent which is better but STI mechanical design and Timbren customer service is a disaster. After 3-4 requests they let me talk to the engineer at Timberen about possible solutions. After 1 converstaion he ghosted me so I came up with my own solution.
Agree,

After dozens of back and forth emails with Timbren’s customer service and their engineer dept, by way of removing to acquire a part model number (Symmetry refused to give us this information).

It was determined by Timbren that Symmetry Trailers installed the wrong part being that it’s not the Heavy Duty version that they designed for overlanding trailers. The model we have is made for smooth highway travel.

Not sure why they would install a regular trailer suspension on a heavy duty toy hauler overlanding build?

We are in the process now of fixing ourselves. Going to a straight axle so we don’t have any more safety issues or high speed blowouts and prematurely worn down drivers side tires. Wheeew what an experience.

To anyone out there reading this. Symmetry Trailers does not offer a written warranty (we didn’t get one), and will not stand by their builds if they have complicated issues, like water incursion or suspension, once you drive off their lot.

dxtremist2

Ask them if they would like to repair it, buy it back, or hire a staff attorney to represent them in court. Seeing their name on ruled and numbered paper often helps folks make informed decisions.

Look in to federal and state RV lemon laws.
Thanks for your reply, tried all of those actually.

Small Claims Court with Symmetry Trailers is looking most logical currently. In Wyoming cases only up to $6,000.

This would cover the new suspension and what they charged for what was supposed to be warranty work. Yep that’s right, once I lawyered up against them, came their bogus $3000 repair bill. With no repair :(

Litigation fees on a case like this are way more than the trailer is worth unfortunately, over $20,000. It’s nuts.

Also, was very difficult to find an attorney.

For anyone else having issues with a builder out there, I’d try exploring the route of Consumer Protection/Goods under the Magnuson Moss Act. Keep in mind a travel trailer is not covered under lemon laws like an RV.

jchasse

Thanks for your reply, tried all of those actually.

Small Claims Court with Symmetry Trailers is looking most logical currently. In Wyoming cases only up to $6,000.

This would cover the new suspension and what they charged for what was supposed to be warranty work. Yep that’s right, once I lawyered up against them, came their bogus $3000 repair bill. With no repair :(

Litigation fees on a case like this are way more than the trailer is worth unfortunately, over $20,000. It’s nuts.

Also, was very difficult to find an attorney.

For anyone else having issues with a builder out there, I’d try exploring the route of Consumer Protection/Goods under the Magnuson Moss Act. Keep in mind a travel trailer is not covered under lemon laws like an RV.
Wow, symmetry really sounds like a bunch of crooks. Hope this works out in the best way possible for you.

Alloy

It was determined by Timbren that Symmetry Trailers installed the wrong part being that it’s not the Heavy Duty version that they designed for overlanding trailers. The model we have is made for smooth highway travel.

I'm not sure Symmetry is 100% at fault because I don't see anything on Timbren's website showing a standard or heavy duty version. In fact this is what Timbren say for each axle capacity.

Not only can this suspension handle tough loads, it also lasts under tough conditions. From the heat of the Australian Outback to the hard winters of Canada, the Silent Ride trailer suspension proves its durability.

dxtremist2

I'm not sure Symmetry is 100% at fault because I don't see anything on Timbren's website showing a standard or heavy duty version. In fact this is what Timbren say for each axle capacity.

Not only can this suspension handle tough loads, it also lasts under tough conditions. From the heat of the Australian Outback to the hard winters of Canada, the Silent Ride trailer suspension proves its durability.

Attachments

• IMG_1827.jpeg
    IMG_1827.jpeg
    634.5 KB · Views: 16

dxtremist2

This is what they emailed me. If Symmetry Trailers would have just given me a copy of the component build receipts (I have none, not for anything on trailer), would’ve saved me weeks of back and forth with Timbren.

Madweld

It looks to me like the builder should have fabricated some inboard extensions on the frame where the axles sit. Did they bolt a lower cross member from axle to axle? I can’t tell from the pictures.

dxtremist2

It looks to me like the builder should have fabricated some inboard extensions on the frame where the axles sit. Did they bolt a lower cross member from axle to axle? I can’t tell from the pictures.

They did not, see attached photo

Attachments

• IMG_9689.jpeg
    IMG_9689.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13

Alloy

They did not, see attached photo

I found (right under my nose) the 5200HD. The bushing is 1" wider (isn't much) vs. the standard version. What doesn't make any is according to the dimension the standard 5200 and standard 7000 are identical.

There are 2 ways to install. One is with an inboard extension and the other (better) is adding a cross member side to side. It looks like this is what Symmetry did but it doesn't look like it's welded on the inboard side.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The Timbren has a grease fitting at the swing arm that needs to be serviced before each trip. Just something to add. Some installers don't lube that fitting up .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk