Tacoma, 4Runner + LR Defender

CameraTraveler

Just curious I guess but have any of you come across a hybrid build of sorts like this:

Toyota drive train reliability (4Runner, Tacoma) + nostalgic body of the older Land Rover Defender?

Post 'em if you got 'em...

CameraTraveler

I hear you. I understand and respect brand loyalty for their well documented reasons. I guess my creative side is reaching out to see whats out there from the more obscure fabricators you have see in out there. Anyone fit that bill?

Owyhee H

Adventurer
I know some throw LC axles under Rovers to make them more reliable, but i too am interested to see this kind of hybrid.

Lentsnh

I want to see this as well. IF my head gaskets blow on my Discovery, I'll drop in a Toyota Land Cruiser Drivetrain.

I had a Toyota pickup and it was still mechanically sound when I traded it and I beat that truck UP!

RabidRover

Observer
Frankenstein???

I have been toying with the idea of dropping a 5.7L Tundra motor in my D1 if it grenades. I have never come across one and so far the 3.9L keeps purring! Plus, I don't know how to justify it to head office, she wants the kitchen redone. I hope somebody does it one day that has more talent than me to prove it can be done :Mechanic:

toyrover

Observer
Tacoma 4 cylinder motor, 1969 SWB rover,Toyota mini truck t-case/tranny, dana 44's, Cherokee rear springs, toyota rears in the front, Ford Power steering box-hydro assist.......Pretty much no fabrication needed.
roverinprocess.jpg

came out like this

005-2.jpg

Last edited:

CameraTraveler

WOW! Impressive - we'd like to learn more.

Thanks Toyrover. THAT is a beautiful thing. I echo the need for a link to more info.

By your name is sounds like it might be yours? If so what's the build cost (time/money)?

Why did you chose to source each of the systems from different manufacturers that you mentioned over another?

With all of the mix match of parts - has it been problematic or a fine tuned machine? Etc etc

Ps. AMAZING!

toyrover

Observer
The build was done by my brother in Bend Oregon, He has a fab shop there G-fab. It was a long project mainly because of my budget. It started out as something where I just wanted a pair of sliders and a bumper. Next thing you know we stripped it down to the frame and went for it. The Dana 44s were used because I sourced them for cheap with ARB and the 4.88 gears I needed. The mini truck tranny and T-case were selected because of their strong nature and ease of putting the lower gears in the t-case. The tacoma motor was chosen due to the Fuel injection, and still good horsepower. I will post a build thread in the land rover section. I have just finished it up. Still working out some bugs. ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal