Tacoma, computer model

simple

Adventurer
Has anyone built or have access to a solid 3-D model of late Tacoma truck with long or standard bed? I have Solidworks and would like to noodle on some camper ideas. :ylsmoke:

Franco

I also have SW but no files of that nature. Not sure if anyone has taken the time to do a half decent rendering of a Tacoma...

Regardless, if you've got access to a Tacoma then it should be fairly easy to do a basic mock-up with measurements taken, especially for the bed. I'm guessing that you're checking clearances more than anything else, and would like to visualize it.

simple

Adventurer
I also have SW but no files of that nature. Not sure if anyone has taken the time to do a half decent rendering of a Tacoma...

Regardless, if you've got access to a Tacoma then it should be fairly easy to do a basic mock-up with measurements taken, especially for the bed. I'm guessing that you're checking clearances more than anything else, and would like to visualize it.

I don't own a Tacoma. Am currently building a stealth camper out of a cube van. A friend has a Taco and was asking me about campers so I took a look around and felt inspired to noodle on my own designs.

I bought the 2012 double cab version for my use. I did pay extra to have the file saved out as Iges, Step. Ect.. Its made up of surfaces but so far it has been extremely helpful with the design of my new flatbed and camper. Between designing around the model and double checking heights, measurements ect.. off of my truck its a great tool. It does not have a frame however so those types of designs will need to be taking first person or off of Toyota frame spec drawings.

simple

Adventurer
Thanks for that added info. Interesting note on the iges. Looked like most of the files types offered were graphics oriented. I was wondering how well the .stl would translate. What program are you modeling in?

I'm using Solidworks, STL. files are basically dead files they are great for 3d printing etc. but they describe only the surface geometry of a three-dimensional object without any representation of color, texture or other common CAD model attributes. so for example if you had the STL. version of the truck you would not be able to render it out piece by piece. You would not be able to select the door and change its color or material then select the tire and change its color and texture it would be all one hallow shape. Thus also makes it more difficult to design parts around which I think is why your looking for a cad model?

simple

Adventurer
Thanks for the clarification. You mentioned earlier that there wasn't any frame geometry and I figured the models were dumb solids without any detailed parts but sounds like some of the basic external stuff is there.

P2W

Observer
STL files are typically created from scanned data, laser, faro arm, ect, to collect point cloud data. The point cloud is then converted to a parametric mesh, there are various software packages that can convert the mesh to usable surfaces or solids. Surfaces have defined edges, Solids have faces, features and edges,... Ok so what does that do for me? With defined edges, faces and features and CAM software I can generate toolpath data to program any number of CNC machines.

Can I toolpath an STL? Yes, in some cases however not nearly as efficient as working with solids, surfaces, lines, arcs and splines.

Just for clarification "dumb solids" are models with no history, if you save a model out of SWorks as a step, x_t parasolid or iguess the sldprt history is gone.

DaVikes

Adventurer
I have a Humster drawing of a Tacoma DCSB that I bought a couple years ago, and it was of an '11, IIRC. One thing I noticed was that the bed did not have tapered sides, as Tacoma's do. I think they probably modeled it off of a Hilux, and were unaware of the tapered sides, as I believe the drawings are all drawn in India. Some of the more recent drawings appear to have bed sides that that are tapered, but I haven't checked too carefully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner