Tail Lights won't work..Brakes,Blinkers,Reverse does.......HELP!

clintergalactic

Same EXACT thing happened to me and I am just getting online to try and sort it out.

About two weeks ago I was pulled over for a license plate light being out. I didn't bother replacing it right away, been busy.
A few days ago I was pulled over for tail lights being out. Breaks, flashers, turn signals all work.

So now, obviously, it's fixing time. I also do have the trailer 4-flat wiring harness, but it's only a year old and has been rarely used.

Please report back and let us know what you find. Thanks!

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
You got yanked for a plate light???? Wow!
Here's the long and short. The front running lights, tail lights and license plate lights are all fed from the same source, that being the first stage of your headlight switch. If you turn the switch on, they should all come on. If none of them come on, it's probably the switch or a fuse. If the rear is out, the culprit could be where the trailer lights t into the harness. Should be somewhere between the spare tire and bumper. If someone hacked in trailer lights, that's a strong possibility as well.
You need a digital multi meter (cheap) and a service manual (free w some looking).

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

clintergalactic

Yeah right? Just a verbal warning both times, the tail-light guy didn't even look at my DL. I live in New Hampshire but have Montana plates... I think the license plate guy was just hunting.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Turns out there was no big mystery here. Blown fuse under the hood, likely a byproduct of the license plate bulb blowing. Popped a new 10A in and we're back in business.
Hopefully the other folks having issues on here discover something equally easy to remedy.

mkroger24

IMG_2465.jpgIMG_2463.jpg
I know this is an old thread and it may be "dead", but I'm throwing this out there Bought my 06 Tacoma 2yrs ago. Tail lights out, blinker and brake lights OK. Headlights good, but no front "tail light"--1st click on the switch. Attaching 2 pics of fuse box under hood--appears to me the towing relay is missing, as is the 30 amp fuse for towing. I put a 30 amp fuse in and swapped a relay in, but still no thing. Fuse didn't blow. Have tested the tail light fuse in cab as well. Towing harness is flat 4 plug and I swear the green LED on it used to be lit up. Now I've got nothing.... Ground from the towing harness is good. Any ideas are appreciated.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal