TDeSanto's Montero Mod Thread

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Monstero said:
Speaking from experience its a great reassurance to hear a big rock hit underneath now that you have all those done. Instead of cringing and then stopping to look what it damaged. And you will DEFINATELY find yourself tackling harder spots cause your not worried about damage underneath.....

Every time I hit a rock or land on something underneath I just smile. They look great...and thanks for the pics as well.

Thanks, Phil.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to scratching them up :smiley_drive:

Glad I could help you out with the pics. Lemme know if you end up having any further questions.

Also, keep us apprised of the sub-frame drop/body lift, if you ever get around to it.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
vengeful said:
Truck looks fantastic man. Nice job on the interior stuff, too.

Thank you.

Let us all know when you get some stuff done on your Pathfinder website. I'm interested in seeing more.

I know a guy here in the DFW area that has completely modded his R50. Dual alternators, onboard belt-driven air compressor, dual batts, built his own bumpers front and rear, built his own skids and sliders, dropped the subframe on the IFS a few inches for more lift in the front. It's a sweet setup.

Cheers,

TD

vengeful

Explorer
I know Keith. Wheeled with him on the AZ Run in 2006. Crazy guy he is! He's incredibly smart, though and can build damn near anything!

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
vengeful said:
I know Keith. Wheeled with him on the AZ Run in 2006. Crazy guy he is! He's incredibly smart, though and can build damn near anything!

Damn, dude, that's just too funny. I describe some great mods to a vehicle and the general area where the owner lives and you already knew the guy...too funny.

Yes, I was only too impressed, to say the least, when I saw that he built everything himself. Rather creative.

Big Daddy Chia

Adventurer
Looks good. You know suprisingly my first introduction to the offroad world was a 2000 Montero that I had rented for a weekend while my truck was down.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Big Daddy Chia said:
Looks good. You know suprisingly my first introduction to the offroad world was a 2000 Montero that I had rented for a weekend while my truck was down.

The GenII's were a great truck. I had a '94 which actually wasn't much different than the 2000's. I loved it.

Solid axle in the rear, rain gutters for a great roof rack, good drivetrain, rear locking diff, not as heavy as the GenIII's, plenty of cargo space, good approach/departure angles for a vehicle of it's size, etc, etc, etc.

Big Daddy Chia

Adventurer
tdesanto said:
The GenII's were a great truck. I had a '94 which actually wasn't much different than the 2000's. I loved it.

Solid axle in the rear, rain gutters for a great roof rack, good drivetrain, rear locking diff, not as heavy as the GenIII's, plenty of cargo space, good approach/departure angles for a vehicle of it's size, etc, etc, etc.

The 2000 I drove looked like yours. Had IRS too.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Big Daddy Chia said:
The 2000 I drove looked like yours. Had IRS too.

Thanks for the correction. I must have misunderstood. I had thought that they weren't available in the US until late 2000 as the 2001 year model.

Incusus

Adventurer
Do my eyes deceive me, or is that a set of sliders from a server rack on that custom fridge "drawer"?

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Incusus said:
Do my eyes deceive me, or is that a set of sliders from a server rack on that custom fridge "drawer"?

Very similar. These are rated at 100lbs. If I had to do it all over again, I would have purchased server rails rated at 250lbs.

These seem stable enough, but since the fully loaded fridge is probably pushing 80-90 lbs, I'd rather have a buffer for such an expensive and important item.

Actually, I'm quite surprised how well the whole build has held up over the last serveral months. Washboard roads at 40mph and lots of twisting and turning on trails between 5-20mph and still no trouble with the setup.

Incusus

Adventurer
tdesanto said:
Very similar. These are rated at 100lbs. If I had to do it all over again, I would have purchased server rails rated at 250lbs..

Interesting idea! I would have never thought of sliding fridge rails... we actually have several sliders from unused IBM rack kits laying around work that wont fit our new equipment. I may have to see if I can take a pair home and do some experimenting once I get to the point where I'm (finally) able to work on storage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater