Teardrop Camper Layout Design

kwill

Observer
Mine is not really a kitchen but it is a long drawer that would be easy to turn into one. I'm fine using it like this.
s7jKx8G.jpg

kwill

Observer
The picture above is not actually mine but showed the setup better than any pictures I had handy. I also built a removable table on the side that is a convenient place to cook.
lcaFW8z.jpg

(This one is mine.)

billiebob

My grandpa had one of those he’d tow with his early ‘90s diesel Jetta. I’d like to fix an old one up but they hold their value like crazy.
Trillium, Boler are the same but lighter. We had a Trillium. I think you can still buy them new in Calgary, AB.

motas

Adventurer
Mine is not really a kitchen but it is a long drawer that would be easy to turn into one. I'm fine using it like this.
s7jKx8G.jpg
I had seen those VRV trailers! They look pretty good, but I can't find any info on them. Have they gone out of business or something?

They're pretty close to what I have in mind, and if they were available here I'd probably consider buying one.

Do you use the sofa function? I kind of like it but feel like unmaking and remaking the bed would put me off. Any other thoughts on that kind of layout? The side table looks good too.

Cheers.

kwill

Observer
They have gone out of business. I bought one of the last ones and talked quite a bit to the guy that ran the shop building them. The owner/designer just put too much into them for the price point--all welded aluminum frame, cabinet grade plywood cabinetry, etc. In an industry that is all sticks and staples he couldn't compete. We do use the sofa function a lot, although once I add an ARB awning and room then we will probably keep it in bed mode more often. The original design requires you to flip a big piece of plywood over to make it into a bed but I removed the piano hinge and attached a couple of nylon straps so that the plywood can just slide over. That lets you keep the cushions in place and works much better. The side table is solid and very handy but also easy to remove. I have quite a few mods planned but the basic layout works really well for us.

motas

Adventurer
They have gone out of business. I bought one of the last ones and talked quite a bit to the guy that ran the shop building them. The owner/designer just put too much into them for the price point--all welded aluminum frame, cabinet grade plywood cabinetry, etc. In an industry that is all sticks and staples he couldn't compete. We do use the sofa function a lot, although once I add an ARB awning and room then we will probably keep it in bed mode more often. The original design requires you to flip a big piece of plywood over to make it into a bed but I removed the piano hinge and attached a couple of nylon straps so that the plywood can just slide over. That lets you keep the cushions in place and works much better. The side table is solid and very handy but also easy to remove. I have quite a few mods planned but the basic layout works really well for us.
I'm honestly surprised that more campers aren't molded, especially the smaller teardrop style ones. The tooling is definitely a big cost, but nothing crazy especially at the smaller end of the spectrum. It seems like the labor to build each body would be very high, especially TIG welded like this one. Even for a one off I'm thinking my labor to build the mold isn't going to be that much more than the labor to build the body by hand, and then I get the advantages of a one piece body.

I watched a review video that had the owner in it, and even he looked awkward trying to flip the plywood over, I was thinking sliding it under would be heaps easier. I think I'm thinking a long the same lines as you though that it is easier to have a table that needs setting up elsewhere, than it is to pack up and unpack the bed every night. I do have one idea, which is to roll the bed up towards the rear, and then the front two panels of the bed slide into a seat shape, but I think it's probably too complicated and not worth the trouble, plus it only works when the under bed storage is empty.

Does anyone have a kitchen that doubles as a table? I'm thinking even just a small slide out breakfast bar style would be sufficient. Obviously can't use it while using the kitchen, but for two people this isn't really much of a problem.

I have found one other somewhat similar camper which is the TAXA Tigermoth. Has some decent ideas but it looks a bit gimicky in my opinion.
TigerMoth-Camper-Trailer.jpg

motas

Adventurer
I've expanded the body to 1900mm wide (same as a Jeep Wrangler) and 2750mm long. This has given me two 300mm deep storage areas at the head of the bed, and one side of the bed. Plus theres still room for storage above the foot of the bed.

The problem with my layout was that the kitchen and fridge both had to fit between the wheel arches, so there was a heap of wasted space behind the wheels and the width of the kitchen was limited. To get around this instead of having a slide out kitchen I can have a drop down kitchen, which means the kitchen can be much further to the side. This has other advantages that I don't need to figure out how to assemble it inside the camper under the bed, I can use a hinge instead of a drawer slide, I can legally keep the gas bottle in the kitchen, I've gained more storage underneath the bed, and I can fit a drop down table on the opposite side.

The table as it sits is only 300mm wide, and there is only just enough space to sit between the kitchen and the table, but I will try to make it wider and in nice weather you'd sit on the other side anyway. The box with the kitchen will hold pots, pans and cooking utensils. The table box will make a good pantry.
Camper.PNG

I've also added a ~170L tank between the wheel wells, and there is room for electrical and plumbing behind the wheel wells under the bed. Not super easy to access, I'd have to lift the bed base up, but it's a nice spot for it anyway.

Last edited:

Teardropper

How high is the bottom of the door?

With a classic teardrop, you sit in the doorway in the same spot you sit on the edge of your bed. The average bed is about 25" high. My doorway is at about 23" and it's comfortable to get in and out of.

VLX8ac9.jpg

Something to consider.

T

Teardropper

Here's what my fourth-gen galley looks like:

SiPFaz7.jpg

Plenty of storage, a hard-plumbed propane stove and running water. Oh, and cold beer.

T

motas

Adventurer
I keep getting almost-offended by this thread's title 8-D

Sorry, I'm a bit anal about getting designs right :oops:

How high is the bottom of the door?

With a classic teardrop, you sit in the doorway in the same spot you sit on the edge of your bed. The average bed is about 25" high. My doorway is at about 23" and it's comfortable to get in and out of.

VLX8ac9.jpg

Something to consider.

T

The doors will be high, a step will definitely be needed. The tyre shown is ~32", so with a couple inches of travel will be 35"+ to the bed. I may or may not put some fancy height adjustable suspension on though, but it'll still be too high.

I've also realized that the fold out kitchen and table storage boxes can be integrated into the main mold, but I haven't drawn it in yet. We're swagging it for the next week with a Suby packed to the roof full of gear so no CAD!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Maybe this was already suggested and I missed it, but have you considered offsetting the door to one side, allowing a solid kitchen space that nobody has to walk through the center of while you are trying to cook?

Teardropper

allowing a solid kitchen space that nobody has to walk through the center of while you are trying to cook?

I've been teardropping since 2004 and am missing the usefulness and purpose of the third door. It certainly eats up the galley area and storage inside the cabin.

Take a look at my profile and note the shelves. They hold all sorts of stuff.

B1AyiqN.png

Tony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design