Tesla Cybertruck: The Future?

Silverado08

Observer
Let's start by being quite absolutely clear that there is no existing range of the Tesla truck, this is a marketing stunt from a man with an inarguable history of conducting bogus marketing stunts and outright lies. If one day the Tesla car company produces a vehicle based around this marketing stunt it will bear as much resemblance to the concept as clothes in Kohls resemble fashion show concepts. We can't talk about the existing range of the Tesla truck because there is no existing Tesla truck and the guy could say literally any number he wants when talking about what it might someday do.

The reason fueling time matters is because the behavior of actual people in the real world differs slightly from what you might ask an idealized servant to do and when you scale numbers up small differences can turn scary really fast.

Take for example supply chains like Ford's F-series - they sold a million of those last year which means that if some failure to deliver a part cost them eight hours they would have a production back-up of 1000 vehicles which means all the parts suppliers delivering all the other parts toward the assembly lines would need to find a place to store 1000 vehicles worth of that part, all the way back up the supply chain.

So if you look at the supply chain of the I-70 highway across the Rockies they get approximately 22000 vehicles per day headed up the hill (that's just based on cutting the reported average of 44k in half) and if we make 10% of those electric (isn't the goal here 100% though?) and we say that 90% of everyone arriving there somehow managed to have plenty of battery capacity to go up the hill and regen all the way back down to Denver (and all of them have the discipline to not "top up" before the climb) ... so only 10% need to fill up in Grand Junction that's still 220 vehicles per day that need a fill up, which - if they're kind enough to arrive at evenly spaced intervals around the clock is still 9 vehicles per hour that need a pretty significant charge. Can they get their ~500kWh charge in an hour by delivering 500kW (!) to 9 vehicles at a time, around the clock? That's 4.5 megaWatts even if we generously forget that thermodynamics takes its share. Or if we can't deliver 500kW per vehicle because that's some "one point twenty one jiggawatts!!!" madness then the vehicles are going to stack up... and since they don't stop coming they're going to stack up a lot. A lot a lot. How many of them are going to get stuck in the traffic jam with their heat or a/c running and use up all their battery and also need an unplanned charge? Then what do we go send a whole bunch of very-diesel-powered earthworks machines to dig up half of Colorado clearing wilderness habitats to make solar farms and refine millions of miles of steel and copper to make high tension poles and cables to deliver all this power? Is that how you save the environment?

As before, I'm not opposed to electric vehicles in principle. I'm prone to do a little napkin math now and then to determine how far outside the ballpark something is.
Well I guess you know better then Musk about what his trucks can deliver and how far
So I wont argue about it
How many electric cars have you built btw?

Silverado08

Observer
It is important to distinguish that musk, tesla, and ev's at large are three separate topics and criticising a conman is not trolling. Musk is not ev's. There are ev's that are not tesla. Last i heard the best selling ev in the world is a nissan unless that has changed recently.

I have not at any point criticised ev's apart from indicating a plug in hybrid offers effectively identical benefit for approximately the same retail cost and without the most obvious limitation.

It is also not trolling to point out that tesla's own departed battery chief stated something to the effect that we already know how the periodic table works and should not expect order of magnitude advances in storage capacity. It is not trolling to observe that electric motors are already over 90% efficient so you can't meaningfully improve their efficiency for reasons that i hope are mathematically quite clear. For anyone who needs help that means you can't equal or exceed 100% efficiency so if the technology is already greater than 90% efficient it can never get much better, kind of like a wheel can't get much rounder.

It's not trolling to suggest that in practice rural america will likelier see diesel powered charging stations than high tension service upgrades from the grid, at which point no problem will have been addressed by the EV.
Fwiw
Nisan doesnt come anywhere close to Tesla in eficiency,range reliablity and number of pure fully Electric cars
Do carry on

Silverado08

Observer
So what's everyone's thoughts on the stainless unibody. As opposed to body-on-frame

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Well lets see buletproof dent and rust resistant
Livin in a rust belt that makes it perfect sense,and after forty years driving Chevys
Tesla wil be my next truck
Only wish they built it sooner

Silverado08

Observer
So where is the Elon musk hate coming from?

It seems like every internet site is full of trolls hating on Elon musk?

Is it some kind of foreign troll thing?

Too many folks on info wars?

does he want to implement agenda 21 and turn all the ok boomers into soylent green or something?
Jealousy most likely

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Why
The safety of cars come from strong body so the driver pasengers dont get mangled in an acident

Main reason Nascar racers have steel cages as do all other racers
Yes, that's why cars of before the late 1960s/early 1970s were safer than modern cars :rolleyes:

Goodwin also questioned the thick steel “exoskeleton”, which Elon Musk says makes it tough and resistant to dents, something demonstrated by attacking the concept car with a sledge hammer, something that left no marks.

“We would expect that a vehicle should be able to absorb some (crash) energy because if it doesn’t absorb some energy … it will be the people inside the vehicle who bear the brunt.”

luthj

Engineer In Residence
FYI energy absorption is just as important as preventing the body from impinging on the passengers. The G forces during deceleration can kill just as easily as crushed limbs. We don't need to rehash the questions about the design, but I have some confidence that Tesla can make the design safe.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
FYI energy absorption is just as important as preventing the body from impinging on the passengers. The G forces during deceleration can kill just as easily as crushed limbs.

Yup. That's why there are both crumple zones and a safety cell further in in modern cars. One dissipates/absorbs the energy, and one protects against intrusions.

@Silverado08

Mike W.

Thats too bad
EV cost way less money to drive and have less maintainance too but
Ludites will be ludites I guess
The average American doesn't have $1000 cash on hand much less the ability to have a charging system installed. That is if they live where one can be installed. Not everyone lives in a city or near a heavily populated area.

Tesla didn't have repair parts available for a friends car for 7 months. They still may be waiting for parts he traded it in at a huge loss so he could have a vehicle to drive

EVs have a cult like following and if they fit your needs that's great..My point is twofold most of us just don't care or have no practical use for one. The rest can't afford the baggage that goes along with owning one at this time..

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Seriously ? I dont pay attention to others financial. Suppose being that broke is one of Amerikas freedoms, but thats downright weird.
Whats so hard about a charging system ? Teslas come with one as standard equipment.
Its not pre-1930s anymore. Virtually everywhere an average American lives is electricified.

If you need a supercharger or even a level 2 charger, it will cost a lot of money in the US.

Level 3 is 480v at 300 amps (!!!)
Level 2 is 240v and "up to" 80 amps,
Level 1 is 120v and 15-20 amps.

Now, that's not actually worth much on its own, but when Teslas are so heavy (one of the reasons I want my electric car to be a small lightweight one and thus needing a smaller battery to go the same miles as a bigger vehicle), it makes a whole lot of difference to the charging.
For fully charging a Model S or X 100D from empty takes:

Level 3 (the 300 amp/480v) = 30 minutes to 170 miles range (not really fullly charged)

Level 2 (the 240v/80A) = 6-30 hours

Level 1 (120v/15-30A) = 4 days.

It's scary how long it can take due to the size of the battery pack needed to get the big and heavy Teslas going. It will be even worse with the "Cybertruck".

From here:

L123-diagrams-Tesla-v5-768x978.jpg
Tesla-charge-times-1024x448.jpg

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I am pretty sure Telsa offers most of their vehicles with a 25 miles per hour home charger? Its something like 500$, though you need a 40A 240V circuit to plug it into.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
I am pretty sure Telsa offers most of their vehicles with a 25 miles per hour home charger? Its something like 500$, though you need a 40A 240V circuit to plug it into.

That would fall in the middle of the"level 2" charger above, with 9.6kW, which makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven