Tex's 2019 GX460 build

SoTxAg06

I got tagged by a "non-citizen" yesterday leaving the gas station, 120% his fault. He tried to leave the scene and act as if he didn't speak english, my threatening to call the cops in both english and spanish as I snapped pics of his license plate and his face with my phone was enough to get him to reconsider fleeing, not surprised as this is typical behavior. Sadly this is more than likely going to be a claim on my uninsured drivers policy, it's lovely dealing with these types and they receive no consequences for their actions and lack of responsibility. I'm not looking forward to my increased premiums. Luckily the damage wasn't severe and was localized to the front bumper alone so hopefully I can parley this into a winch bumper instead of replacing the factory plastic piece.

That sucks. I’ve seen it quite a bit in Corpus. One time I saw two people run from each other . Neither must have been insured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Bumper is in but we are still fighting with insurance. We don't have a final number on repairs yet so we can't move forward with anything at the moment, this has been extremely frustrating. I hope to have a final quote and approval to move forward with repairs by sometime early next week. I want this over so I can have my vehicle back.

syyf2by.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I got fed up with waiting on the insurance companies to get their crap together and I have decided to go ahead and do the bumper install myself. Luckily after removing the front bumper facia and inspecting the clips I discovered that it can be reused after trimming so that's a big win there. I will likely use the insurance money for a few other accessories with my shop once it's all worked out and the insurance pays up in the next few weeks.

I will say that the instructions included with this bumper are down right atrocious. They are more like vague suggestions, the few pictures included are dark and don't show detailed aspects of how and where to mount the support brackets. There are no illustrations, the hardware isn't marked or separated, they don't mention which hardware goes where or in what orientation, it's about as bad as you can get with this. The tolerances are extremely tight for the winch cradle support brackets and I had to use a dead blow and a pry bar to make things fit where they needed to go.

After looking at a few pics online from others who have recently done the install and simply by a process of elimination, I got it all worked out and the winch cradle is finally in, this is about 1/3 of the overall work. I plan to tackle installing the parking sensors and BD lights in the bumper tomorrow and hopefully if I have enough time I will get around to trimming the plastic facia as well (this will likely be the most time consuming step).

If all goes well and my schedule accommodates, I should have the bumper hung and all buttoned up by Tuesday evening. I plan to install the winch in the coming weeks after I have finished my dual battery install.

24dnQz2.jpg

Q7gT4oa.jpg

slZQsQz.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I want to thank @BMRisko for posting a pic of his homemade brackets for adapting the Baja Designs Squadrons to the Ironman bumper fog light brackets, it made my life a lot easier. I bent some up tonight and I am very happy with how they turned out and all for only $4 in aluminum and some hardware. And thanks to all of you who suggested the o-rings and rubber washers for the parking sensors.

E7P8gEg.jpg

mLLnUCg.jpg

Zv7YpMm.jpg

BYVFgVn.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Well the bumper is installed and everything fits and works as it should. Overall I am very happy with this bumper, for under $1100 shipped how can I complain?! I ended up going with the new Gen 3 Smittybuilt XRC 9.5 Comp winch, it has some really neat features, a fast and quiet 7HP motor and a very good warranty. I couldn't justify more than double for the Warn Zeon when the warranties are the same. I ordered the Factor 55 offset fairlead, Flatlink E and rope guard for it as well which should clean up the front end a bit. I don't like how the front license plate is currently mounted so I am going to explore there options there but at least I am legal for now. Stupid Texas front plate law.

We were able to mount the control box offset of center and still keep it hidden within the bumper, the only catch was the need for an easier access to the plug for the winch remote. Curling your arm up, in and around through the cutout on the top of the bumper wasn't ideal and somewhat uncomfortable so I opted to cut a hole through the top of the engine/radiator cowling. This way I can still route the remote cable through the top of the bumper while guiding it into the plug with my other hand from above. I cleaned up the cut with some smaller edge trim, I did the radiator cap as well.

The fogs are running off of the factory switch and the DRL's are a nice touch that I wasn't expecting. The parking sensors worked out well after shimming the openings with rubber washers and neoprene o-rings, they function properly with no alignment issues. Eventually I will mount a pair of Baja Designs LP6's on top of the bumper and in front of the grille. I need to figure out whether or not I need to use an in-line resistor for the signals or if I can use an all new flasher relay because now that the front is LED the flash rate is too fast.

The factory bumper bits removed weigh 67 lbs, the winch only weighs 66 lbs so that's a wash. The bumper itself is 134 lbs so I added roughly 133 lbs up front. The performance springs are rated at +110 lbs so I am only 20-ish pounds over their rating and so far I don't think that the heavy +200 lb springs will be needed. The front end dropped about 1/2" after adding everything which I can live with, but if it settles much more than that I will have to consider heavier springs or possibly a spacer.

I have a RCI skid plate on order and I am still looking into the different tow hook options out there for this vehicle. Roof rack is next and I think it'll tie in nicely with the bar work on the bumper, I've just gotta decide on which one to get and pull the trigger.

oM623us.jpg

r3A2jfb.jpg

C2SIO80.jpg

5yvSrH2.jpg

cY9z2oO.jpg

PM5af18.jpg

HzkBnqO.jpg

JslSZy1.jpg

ITTOG

The bumper looks great and the lines appear to match well. For me I would want the bars removed. I would only put them on when on the trail. I just don't like bull bars. But good job and I am sure you will love it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The bumper looks great and the lines appear to match well. For me I would want the bars removed. I would only put them on when on the trail. I just don't like bull bars. But good job and I am sure you will love it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I'm meh on the bars but I appreciate the protection they provide for frontal impacts especially with wildlife. The chunkiness I think helps to break up the steep lines of the front end of this truck and gives a glimpse of masculinity lol. So few options out there for these 460's so I am content with this choice amongst what's available.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
If you swap those amber lenses for the pure wide cornering ones rather than the combos you will be able to aim them so you can run them as actual fogs with no issues blinding oncoming traffic. I had that setup on my 2014 Ram and they lit up the road and ditches incredibly.

Otherwise, looking awesome and carry on. (y)

Tex68w

Beach Bum
If you swap those amber lenses for the pure wide cornering ones rather than the combos you will be able to aim them so you can run them as actual fogs with no issues blinding oncoming traffic. I had that setup on my 2014 Ram and they lit up the road and ditches incredibly.

Otherwise, looking awesome and carry on. (y)

Yea I've run that lens as well, had both the combo driving and the wide angle on the Power Wagon. I have the wide angle in amber lying around somewhere, but for now I am happy with the pattern of these combos.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
We took a short drive up the coast to Sargent, TX this morning for some fish tacos and a stroll along the beach. It was nice to get outside after all of the storms we've been having this past week. The bumper is growing on me but I am pretty certain I am going to move up to a heavier rate spring up front to gain back some lift, it's a little too stink bug looking for my taste. I have a few new creaks and rattles I need to track down now as well, that stuff eats at me like nails on a chalk board lol.

LZDBLeg.jpg

5ikEeGo.jpg

PikS1zm.jpg

H9xuD6I.jpg

yjtDYZk.jpg

mNJ3CcQ.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I went ahead and ordered the +110-220 lb springs and coils. The LRA 33 gallon auxiliary fuel tank will be installed in a few weeks so I figured I might as well go ahead and upgrade the rear at the same time. They will definitely be needed when I finally get a rear bumper on and the extra weight with the added fuel will have an impact as well.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Nice, I like the look of the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's growing on me. My hang up isn't so much the bumper, it's long nose on these 460's, I just wish it were more abbreviated and didn't have such an extreme pointed overhang. The bumper is fantastic, one of the worst installs ever, but a quality piece.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal