The 255/85R16 Tire Official List

Fargo

Adventurer
I don't care if it was a load range triple Z. If it came in that size, I'd buy it.

Wow that would be one stiff tire. Before you get too excited though, be aware that the tire would only measure about 33.5+/-. I believe that is what BFG is claiming for the 34x10.5R17. So its more or less the same as a typical 255/85R16. But even as a load range E, it would be a nice option to have along with the ST MAXX.

I'm curious, is your excitement because it would be a nice size tire or because you would really like the new KO2 in that size? Have you considered the KM2 or ST MAXX in a 255/85R16? I also have an LJ Rubicon, so I'd appreciate your thoughts on your current KMs in a 255 as well as the current offerings in that size. Any reason your not just getting the new KM2s. Provided you could still find some.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I run the KM2 in 255 now. If the KO2 came as a 255 I'd be very happy. I've been wanting to move to something less MT like in that same size. I've been running the KO2 for as long as they have had them and the original MT before that in a different size.

Just time to move on and I'd like it to be the KO2. I have seen them on an LJ in 285s and they look good. They may be the tallest and narrowest 285 I've ever seen.

Plus the 33.5 would be perfect. The 255 KM2 measures 33.3 so the size difference would be minimal. But, I'll take .2 none the same.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Wow that would be one stiff tire. Before you get too excited though, be aware that the tire would only measure about 33.5+/-. I believe that is what BFG is claiming for the 34x10.5R17. So its more or less the same as a typical 255/85R16. But even as a load range E, it would be a nice option to have along with the ST MAXX.

Where are you getting the 33.5" number? Have you seen specifications already or is this just a guess? If I had to guess, I'd guess 33.7", but hope for 33.8" or more (BFG's stated specs). 33.5” would be short, but it’s surely possible.

I'm curious, is your excitement because it would be a nice size tire or because you would really like the new KO2 in that size? Have you considered the KM2 or ST MAXX in a 255/85R16? I also have an LJ Rubicon, so I'd appreciate your thoughts on your current KMs in a 255 as well as the current offerings in that size. Any reason your not just getting the new KM2s. Provided you could still find some.

Back in the day, plenty of 255/85R16 tires were 33.3" and taller. The Toyo M/T is quite tall in 255/85, but the Cooper S/T MAXX is only 32.8", so there is already a marked difference IF the 34x10.50R17 is a mere 33.5" tall. If the 34” KO2 is 33.7-8" then we are talking about substantially taller tire than a 255/8x.

Fargo

Adventurer
I run the KM2 in 255 now. If the KO2 came as a 255 I'd be very happy. I've been wanting to move to something less MT like in that same size. I've been running the KO2 for as long as they have had them and the original MT before that in a different size.

Just time to move on and I'd like it to be the KO2. I have seen them on an LJ in 285s and they look good. They may be the tallest and narrowest 285 I've ever seen.

Plus the 33.5 would be perfect. The 255 KM2 measures 33.3 so the size difference would be minimal. But, I'll take .2 none the same.

I see. I currently have STTs in a 285 and I am looking for a 255. Like you I've been thinking about something a little more highway friendly. I have to drive 1000+ miles to get to the good trails in CO. I thought you had the original MTs in a 255. Is this your Jeep? I've seen these pictures before and always thought they were 255s.
P1040100.jpg

Fargo

Adventurer
Where are you getting the 33.5" number?

I thought I got it from another thread here in expeditionportal.com talking about the 34x10.5R17. But I can't say for sure where the original source was. I thought it came from a BFG spec sheet, but I don't remember if I ever saw the sheet or just the posters number. Thanks for asking though. I shouldn't be commenting if I don't have the source numbers. I hate it when people do that and I am embarrassed that I did.

EDIT:

I've been searching through the internet and I've found a couple of different people that have stated the 34x10.5 was only 33.5" tall. I also found one post from a dealer stating that size was listing on BGFs website at one time, but that page is no longer available. I think that is where I saw it, but why I can not find it any more. So I think 33.5 will be what to expect out of the 34x10.5R17. Which I would jump on if it was a 16" rim.

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
EDIT:

I've been searching through the internet and I've found a couple of different people that have stated the 34x10.5 was only 33.5" tall. I also found one post from a dealer stating that size was listing on BGFs website at one time, but that page is no longer available. I think that is where I saw it, but why I can not find it any more. So I think 33.5 will be what to expect out of the 34x10.5R17. Which I would jump on if it was a 16" rim.

http://social.bfgoodrichtires.com/BFG_KO2_Sizing+Availability.pdf

This is available online, giving the current and near future sizes. I've not found and would be very surprised if BFG was giving the detailed specs on the sizes not yet released/introduced. My guess is that the 33.5" measurement is speculation that is being repeated.

It's surely possible that the 34x10.50 is only 33.5" tall, but I remain hopefully that it will be 33.7" or more. I'd really not be surprised if it is 33.8" (mfg spec). We shall see soon.

On topic- there are plenty who would be happy to see the KO2 offered in a 255/85 16 or 255/80 17, myself included.

fireball

Explorer
Of all the places a BFG rep should be present and providing actual information, you'd think this board would be the top of the list!

Dazrin

Adventurer
It's surely possible that the 34x10.50 is only 33.5" tall, but I remain hopefully that it will be 33.7" or more. I'd really not be surprised if it is 33.8" (mfg spec). We shall see soon.

My guess as to where the 33.5" height is coming from is past experience. Aren't most BFG flotation sizes about 1/2" small? I remember that with their MTs but haven't had and AT flotation sizes.

Fargo

Adventurer
Look what I just found at SamsClub website:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/34x10-50r17d-at-ko2/prod15960065.ip
I'm sure they got their specs from BFG. So it looks like it will be 33.5" tall x 10.6. A little dissappointing as I too was kind of hoping it would be a little taller. Now if we can just get them to make this tire for a 16" rim.

Product Details
Tire Size: 34x10.50R17
Service Description: 120R
Sidewall: RWL
Material Number or MSPN: 91644
Rim Width (min. to max.): 7" - 9"
Section Width: 10.6" on 8.5"
Overall Diameter: 33.5
Tread Depth (32nds): 15
RPM: 621
Max Load (lbs.): 3085@65

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Look what I just found at SamsClub website:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/34x10-50r17d-at-ko2/prod15960065.ip
I'm sure they got their specs from BFG. So it looks like it will be 33.5" tall x 10.6. A little dissappointing as I too was kind of hoping it would be a little taller. Now if we can just get them to make this tire for a 16" rim.

Good find, and I agree the data likely came from BFG. A tire that is 'only' 33.5" tall could just as easily be called a 33, no? ;)

One positive is that if it's only 33.5" tall I'll have no more clearance issues running it than I would with a typical 255/85R16 tire, a good fit on my 4Runner.

Fargo

Adventurer
A tire that is 'only' 33.5" tall could just as easily be called a 33, no? ;)

Yeah, but then what would they call their 33x10.5R15 which is 32.7" tall?

One positive is that if it's only 33.5" tall I'll have no more clearance issues running it than I would with a typical 255/85R16 tire, a good fit on my 4Runner.

I think its best to think of this tire as a tall 255 series tire. Which is no question a welcomed addition. But if your looking for something just a little shorter and narrower than 35" tire this isn't it. But your right that this tire should fit nicely where other 255s fit.

I'm still super excited about this tire. I just hope that they eventually make it in a 16" rim.

lhsoulrebel

lhsoulrebel

No 255/85/16 part numbers are listed anymore... Everyone seems to be low or out of stock.... Are we sure they are still producing them in this size?

Just confirmed with bfg, THEY hAVe DICONTINUED 255 85 16 KM2!! This is an email they sent me

We apologize for the difficulty you have had in locating this tire, Luke. Unfortunately, the BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain KM2 in the size LT255/85R16 has been discontinued completely. Currently, BFGoodrich does not have plans to re-instate this tire. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing BFGoodrich.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-877-788-8899 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Nicholas
Consumer Care Department
Certified BFGoodrich Product Expert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven