The 255/85R16 Tire Official List

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
As alternate tall & skinny (AKA Pizza cutters) options, check out Interco.

Truxus are made in 255/85/16 and are very quiet considering their off road performance, very daily drivable. For more of an off roading requirement, TLS radials are hard to beat (at least in east coast mud), their 33x10.5x16 is a good option.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
This is so strange... I understand that 255/85 is a bit of an obscure size, but 285/75 has got to be one of the most prolific Jeep and pickup truck tire sizes out there. Makes zero sense to discontinue... Maybe we are seeing the beginning of a transition to a "KM3"?

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Thanks for your help Adam... I got one of the last sets in US. :p And its shipping to CR next week

(don't know why its loading rotated 90 degrees...)

IMG_0749.jpg

marathonracer

Adventurer
02/03/2015

Hello Eric,

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking for some clarification on a rumor that is floating around the internet specifically on several of the Toyota forums. It is rumored that the KM2 will be discontinued in 255/85 16. Several people are saying its flat out done others say it is just a change in model number. This tire has quite the cult following in Toyota circles and would be greatly missed. If this tire was discontinued I'm sure there would be a lot of support for a 34 10.5 16 (not 17) ko2... We Toyota guys like our tall skinny 16" tires!
Thanks for producing such a great product

We apologize the LT255/85R16 Mud Terrain T/A KM2 tires have been discontinued and stock is not available for retailers to order. Eric, I am showing the tires will go back into production around the second week of May. I will make sure the Marketing Department receive the information concerning the 34x10.50R16 as a replacement tire size.

Thank you for choosing BFGoodrich.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-877-788-8899 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Evelyn
Consumer Care Department
Certified BFGoodrich Product Expert

▶ Show quoted text

fireball

Explorer
There are a few places that still have them. I was able to order a set of 5 online today. Hopefully BFG will start making them again in a few months in case I need a replacement!

swashbuckler

Hooligan
I was told May too.

Dear Mr. Puppy Slayer,

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
I heard you were discontinuing the 255/85r16 KM2, and I considered taking a puppy hostage until you changed your mind, because I must have another set when my current tires wear out, these are just that awesome. Now I hear that the size is not being discontinued, but rather "relaunched", and I must thank you on behalf of relieved puppies everywhere.

However, I am overcome with a new concern, and the puppies are not out of the woods yet. What does "relaunch" mean? Are we talking a KM3 here? New tread pattern/different rubber composition/what? WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY TIRES???

Answer carefully. The fate of every puppy in my neighborhood hinges upon your answer.

Best,
Kevin The Puppyslayer

In the interest of the helpless neighborhood puppies, I am writing you with Great News. Kevin, we are relaunching the size the tires should be available in early May. This is not a Mud Terrain T/A KM3! We are never told exactly what the changes are in the tires, However sometimes the older molds are changed because of markings needed to be used in other countries. When this occur we have to discontinue the size and relaunch it with a different part number. I hope this is a good plea for the puppies!

FREE THE PUPPIES! FREE THE PUPPIES! FREE THE PUPPIES!

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing BFGoodrich.

Fargo

Adventurer
I like your letter. It was made even better since the Rep at BFG saw the humor in it and not only replied to your question but also continued the humor. That makes sense that the molds might have to be changed if they needed to change something that was printed on the tires. So it sounds like good news. I just wish they made the KO2 in that size.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Ah, the sky is not falling just as I thought. Now, the other piece of information that I was given about this re-launch is that they are going to be cheaper (at least wholesale) when they become available again. We will see if that comes true as well.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I like your letter. It was made even better since the Rep at BFG saw the humor in it and not only replied to your question but also continued the humor. That makes sense that the molds might have to be changed if they needed to change something that was printed on the tires. So it sounds like good news. I just wish they made the KO2 in that size.

Isn't a 34x10.50r17 close enough to a 255/85r16? Should be within a few mm in height and rotation of each other.

Fargo

Adventurer
Isn't a 34x10.50r17 close enough to a 255/85r16? Should be within a few mm in height and rotation of each other.

Yes that is a fantastic size and one that I am considering. The problem is that I am a big believer in hub centric rims. Since there are no hub centric 17" rims available for my Jeep, a 17" tire is not really an option. I would love to put that tire on my Jeep if I could find the right rims. Provided the price isn't too out of line with comparable 16" tires.

Right now I am waiting patiently to see if the new ******** Cepek Extreme Country will really be offered in a 255/85R16 as mentioned here somewhere. Although I'd rather have a tire that is mountain/snowflake rated, I will be very interested in the Extreme Country.

Fargo

Adventurer

Yes that is a fantastic size and one that I am considering. The problem is that I am a big believer in hub centric rims. Since there are no hub centric 17" rims available for my Jeep, a 17" tire is not really an option. I would love to put that tire on my Jeep if I could find the right rims. Provided the price isn't too out of line with comparable 16" tires.

Right now I am waiting patiently to see if the new ******** Cepek Extreme Country will really be offered in a 255/85R16 as mentioned here somewhere. Although I'd rather have a tire that is mountain/snowflake rated, I will be very interested in the Extreme Country.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader

Aren't there a few factory 17" wheels that are hub centric? I have beat on many wheels that are non hub centric without worry so that has never been a concern.

Fargo

Adventurer
Aren't there a few factory 17" wheels that are hub centric? I have beat on many wheels that are non hub centric without worry so that has never been a concern.

The newer JKs have 16",17" & 18" wheels the older TJ/LJs are only 15 & 16". They have different bolt patterns so they don't work. I think the argument about if hub centric is necessary or not gets done over and over again. Lots of people use LUG-centric rims with no trouble. I just prefer to have hub centric. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I figure if every factory vehicle comes with hub centric rims their must be a good reason. Besides just making it easier to get a wheel on the hub. So I'll stick with hub centric. I believe they are safer and will perform better. Thanks for the thoughts though.

Erik N

Adventurer
The newer JKs have 16",17" & 18" wheels the older TJ/LJs are only 15 & 16". They have different bolt patterns so they don't work. I think the argument about if hub centric is necessary or not gets done over and over again. Lots of people use LUG-centric rims with no trouble. I just prefer to have hub centric. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I figure if every factory vehicle comes with hub centric rims their must be a good reason. Besides just making it easier to get a wheel on the hub. So I'll stick with hub centric. I believe they are safer and will perform better. Thanks for the thoughts though.

I agree a hubcentric design is necessary on a performance car with high speed capabilities.

But we are talking about giant sidewall tires in this thread. Come on... you are comparing apples to oranges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven