The 255/85R16 Tire Official List

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
Just became the newest member of the 255 club. These replaced a worn set of Mickey Thompson 285 Baja MTZ. First impressions I love the skinnier tire as it provides better handling. Also got a new set of Bilstein shocks so the Jeep is riding very nice.

IMG_0725.jpg

Fargo

Adventurer
Very nice. My LJ might end up with a set of these yet. Keep us informed how you like them on your LJ.

hamr26

Observer
I put 255s on my LJ a couple years ago and have never regretted the decision. ST Maxx would be next set for me.

Attachments

• IMG_1051.jpg
    IMG_1051.jpg
    579.2 KB · Views: 60

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Anyone out there sporting a set of 255/85/16 Interco Truxus?

If so could you check diameter for me please? I'm hear and reading of a wide variety of measurements 32.25" to 33.5" (Not unlike most Interco products....)

Thnx

Hotch

FWIW, I put Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 255/85R16 on my '98 Dodge 3500 dually and they DO NEED spacers. I searched the forums for information on this tire size before buying the tires and the general consensus was the 255 fits without spacers. This info is not correct for the Cooper Discoverer Maxx tire with an aftermarket aluminum wheel (-134 offset) and stock steel inner wheel. Without spacers the tires touch all the way around. Needless to say I was a little annoyed. Besides that, they look great. I hope this info will be useful to someone else considering going with this set up.

Attachments

• Dodge.jpg
    Dodge.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Fargo

Adventurer
Hey, check this out guys... We finally get to add a new tire to the list. The new ******** Cepek Extreme country comes in 255/85R16.
http://www.dickcepek.com/tires.php?item=ExtremeCountry

That's the good news. The bad news is the specs look like they are the same tire as the ST MAXX but in a 2 ply sidewall instead of 3ply. I'm not sure why I would pick a 2 ply over a 3 ply when everything else is the same. If they wanted a 2 ply they could have at least made it a load range C so it was a better riding tire on Jeeps and small trucks. Maybe there is some advantage here I don't see. But hey, its still another option at least.

Fargo

Adventurer
Has anyone seen the new DC Extreme Country. Redline where you at. This should be right up your alley. The only thing keeping me from really considering this tire is the 2 ply sidewall. Their marketing makes it sounds like some new technolgy in a 2 ply but I'd really like to know more.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Depends what you want to use it for of course...for a significant weight savings I might consider a 2-ply sidewall.

Fargo

Adventurer
Depends what you want to use it for of course...for a significant weight savings I might consider a 2-ply sidewall.

If the weight savings is significant it might be worth it. I wish we had accurate specs on the tire to know what the weights are. Looking at the specs on DC website they show the 255/85R16 weighting more than the wider 285/75R16 at 55lbs and 58lbs. Even if we assume they flipped the numbers on the two tires it still weighs more than the comparable 255/855 STMAXX at 53lbs on Treaddepots website. It seems to me the Xtreme Country would have to be right around 50lbs in a 255/85 to be worth considering.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm not hung-up on 3-ply sidewalls vs. 2-ply, both or either can be good (I just posted something similar on my blog the other day...because I'd managed to uknowingly puncture one of the most rugged 3-ply sidewalls under 'normal use' conditions, it can and does happen to all tires...)

http://roadtraveler.net/toyo-mt-25585r16-part-5/

I remember being told at SEMA last year that the 2-ply would generate less heat. Could be lighter or heavier, tire weight varies. I've measured plenty of 255/85 that were in the 55-58# range.

Buying new 255s to play with is not on my radar at the moment, been playing with bigger tires. ;)

skibum315

Explorer
Buying new 255s to play with is not on my radar at the moment, been playing with bigger tires.
img-3345618-1-oh-really-now-please-tell-me-more.jpg

... no but seriously, is this another new 255x85r16 option? I've heard rumblings that there are one or two more that should get added to the list ... the Cooper ST-Maxx was the first, and is obviously on the market now; the other one that someone mentioned the other day, was the ******** Cepek Extreme Country (with apologies, if I've just missed discussion of the latter). A quick glance at the DC website confirms that they list the size, but that it may err on the smaller end of the spectrum of 255x85s that are out there.

https://www.dickcepek.com/tires.php?item=ExtremeCountry

Fargo

Adventurer
I'm not hung-up on 3-ply sidewalls vs. 2-ply, both or either can be good (I just posted something similar on my blog the other day...because I'd managed to uknowingly puncture one of the most rugged 3-ply sidewalls under 'normal use' conditions, it can and does happen to all tires...)

http://roadtraveler.net/toyo-mt-25585r16-part-5/

I remember being told at SEMA last year that the 2-ply would generate less heat. Could be lighter or heavier, tire weight varies. I've measured plenty of 255/85 that were in the 55-58# range.

Buying new 255s to play with is not on my radar at the moment, been playing with bigger tires. ;)

Thanks for the input. Ever since getting my Rubicon with the factory load range E MTRs vs the load range B tire my previous TJ had, I've been sold on the strength of a 3 ply sidewall. Although I hate load range E, I always felt I could drive over anything with my MTRs or my current STTs. Reading your blog is enlightening. Maybe I shouldn't have so much confidence in my tires. Your Toyos are highly regarded as one of the toughest tires available. If they can get a hole, anything can. I was actually a little surprised at how high up on the sidewall the leak was. It looks like it is almost up to the tread. Not what I would think of as a weak part of the tires.

With that in mind maybe it doesn't make much difference in a 2ply vs 3 ply. I'm sure a 3 ply will be tougher, but either way I better be a little more cautious of where my tires are. It would seem a two ply generating less heat could be run at a lower pressure on the highway and not damage the tire. This could be an advantage for a light vehicle like my LJ.

Thanks for your input. I won't rule out the xtreme country due to the 2 ply constuction.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Heh, a couple of years ago I had some sharp shale slice through the 3-ply sidewall of a nearly new BFG KM2 like a knife, the cut was at least 3" long. As above, any tire can get holes.

Fargo

Adventurer
I sent an email to ******** Cepek asking about the Specs on the 255/85R16 Extreme Country. Their reply was:

"The Specs on the website are correct the 255/85/16 is a little heavier than the 285/75/16."

Thats all they said. I can only assume the 255 must have more rubber than the 285 to make it heavier. I like the more aggresive design of the DC tire but I'm not sure I would choose this tire over the ST MAXX. The aggressive tread is the only advantage it has. The Maxx is lighter and 3 ply side wall.

EDIT: Does it surprise anyone else that the original ST is still offered in this size? Its actually still a tempting tire. Its taller, and lighter than the new STMAXX. But it is pretty narrow and a bit dated. I'm still hoping to see the new STT Pro in this size.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz