The Australian Perenties latest sales

Outback

Explorer
I could pass on the 5 door version if it wasn't a real Perentie. The 2 door is the more desirable unit anyway.

newhue

Adventurer
No worries, talking about defenders isn't like hard work. I have a mate with a 110 perentie so i'm trying to recall conversations ive had with regarding the truck.

suspension is standard, so lifting it is a matter of choosing your spring and a shock to match. Their is really endless options on the net. Just be careful with Std, heavy duty, and extra heavy duty descriptions. What does that actually mean? I think the standard landy rates are 170psi/inch front, and rears are 240psi/inch. All rates are continual. But from there you can start to work out what you need.

Front diff is the Std Rover 2 pin diff. Yes you can get an ARB 24 spline locker for it, but they don't do axels. I'd recommend upgrading the axels and CV'S if you do lock it. These can be found at Ashcroft Transmisions UK. They also do a very good locker. HI tough is an Australian brand or the old Maxi Drive brand, they do both. Great Basin Rover UT will have something worthy as well.
Alternatively a Limited slip can be put in and the axels and CV's don't really require upgrading. Eaton trutrac and ashcroft ATB are two worthy LSD's

Rear diff is a salisbury. Very close to a Dana 60. ARB do a locker I think. Eaton Detroit auto locker is another option here. I can vouch they work fine and a rear locker gets you 95% of where a tourer wants to go. The winch will get you the rest. Well that has been my experience.

Turbo, Garrett is the usual fit up. I will ask the mate, he know lots about perenties.

2 door, I don't think hard tops are overly plentiful either. Most are rag tops, but thats not to say you can't get a hard top as they aren't really a popular choice down here.

I don't know what you want to do with the perentie, but when the engine and gear box both take the same oil it makes sense to me.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
To get it Into the USA it's still gonna have to comply with the 25 year old rule and you are gonna need some proof of its build date.. Regarding the suspension springs. The extra heavy duty ones are 20 mm coils and the rest are usually 18mm.. I spent months going round and round with my last build trying to get strong enough springs for the rear of my truck , old man emu call them expedition springs, anything above sustained 500 kilos of payload..from memory.

newhue

Adventurer
I think the Perentie (name of company who modified them) runs was from 86 to 89. So they all meet the 25 year requirement.

With suspension OME Old Man Emu (ARB) has a reasonable name. I had a mate who turned the yellow paint black from driving them so hard they got that hot. Still work I believe but there must have been some fading going on there.
Have heard good and bad with Terrafirma, not really the build, just the M, H, EX HD thing catching people out. Fine when it's full, terrible when it's empty or half full.

As you know each car weights are different, and at different times so it's hard to get it right for all conditions.. Plus some like a firm racy ride which bilstein will give you. I'm a plush OE Landy lover so run Koni. ARB are probably in the middle somewhere. Then standard OE shocks are also quite good for the money but only good for OE springs. Most my mates have gone to air bags on the back. It's simple like a coil, but to get the most of the articulation it takes a bit of mucking around with shock hangers. It seems to accommodate the varying weights that we carry.
Unfortunately for a Perentie it means cutting some of the top spiring mount. Not a lot but but when the chassis was adjusted to fit the spare tire the spring mount was also modified a bit. Still fits standard spring sizes, but for air bags it means trimming some of that Galvanising. May or may not be an issue.

I'd also run the truck on standard for a bit and see how you go. They have an incredible amount of clearance already so a lift often is not required. Plus all that weight goes up another 2" and the truck already has 9" of floating travel. It's a lot of weight hovering on 4 coils at 55M/h on 26psi on a good corrugated road. The parents also have the heavier 130 springs in the front, which is a common mod for any 110.

Outback

Explorer
Thank You Newhue and The Rover Shop. Ideally I would like to fly our to Australia and pick her up for a few weeks out in the bush after getting her set up. Then have it shipped back home. I would most likely use a broker for that or maybe RORO. I just do not know how difficult it would be since its an Ex Military version of the 110. Has anyone imported a Perentie into the US?

Outback

Explorer
After checking out Ashcroft, I am pretty impressed. I really like there design of an Air Locker as well.

newhue

Adventurer
Yep got a mate in US who has done exactly that. Due this month I believe. Have sent him an email but haven't heard back.

I chased up the turbo deal for an Isuzu. Apparently you need to get hold of a genuine manifold off a factory turbo 3.9. Didn't seem to hard was the impression i got. However you don't want to stick with the factory turbo as it only puts out <10 pound boost. They can run 20 happily an even up to 30 if you must. Check out the Isuzu nuts on AULRO. They have done just about every version of a turbo conversion. There are kits available for a around 3K I believe, but it did't seem like rocket science either, hence the forum.

Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
Just signed up on that forum. I started checking the forum out and found a new favorite place to get info from. From the looks of it, it will be a great help. Thanks.

Outback

Explorer
I hope JUDDY gets back on soon. Since she/he started this thread in the Perenties I would like to see what they have for sale.

Landy4x4

I have a question about LR perenties.

Do you sold in Australia 3.9l Isuzu engine/gearbox or gearbox clutch ?

We haven't a lot of Isuzu trucks or cars here, except in GB or perhaps (?) Germany. Difficult to find Isuzu engine ....

Because i'm interested to fint it in an old classic RR. We have here a lot of low prices diesel Range Rover with Italian VM (bull****) engine.

Thanks

Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
I wouldn't count on Juddy responding. I contacted another Land Rover Dealer in Australia about shipping me a Perentie and after 2 emails they just stopped responding (LANDYBITZ was the companies name) I guess asking how much for RORO to Texas was to much of a question for them to answer after they asked me container or RORO shipping. Not sure what there problem is or with JUDDY but its a sad way to run any business. I will just ship my Land Rovers myself and not bother with ignorant people or companies. Pretty sad.

newhue

Adventurer
I wouldn't count on Juddy responding. I contacted another Land Rover Dealer in Australia about shipping me a Perentie and after 2 emails they just stopped responding (LANDYBITZ was the companies name) I guess asking how much for RORO to Texas was to much of a question for them to answer after they asked me container or RORO shipping. Not sure what there problem is or with JUDDY but its a sad way to run any business. I will just ship my Land Rovers myself and not bother with ignorant people or companies. Pretty sad.

outback, to help you understand, Juddy is LANDYBITZ

newhue

Adventurer
I have a question about LR perenties.

Do you sold in Australia 3.9l Isuzu engine/gearbox or gearbox clutch ?

We haven't a lot of Isuzu trucks or cars here, except in GB or perhaps (?) Germany. Difficult to find Isuzu engine ....

Because i'm interested to fint it in an old classic RR. We have here a lot of low prices diesel Range Rover with Italian VM (bull****) engine.

Thanks

It is possible to source a Motor, engine, and Gbox. Most likely from a damaged Perentie would be the easiest way. Truck dismantlers would have something but finding correct vintage to fit into a Land Rover, and one that never had that combination may be quite an experience. I believe a Tdi300 can be retro fitted into a RRC with out much headache. Perhaps that direction may be easier to source information and parts to do so.

MarkIIa

Observer
The truck motor is common in the USA as well as reasonably common in Australia. Obviously Japan would have once had many but they seem to replace vehicles faster than any other nation!
The motor can come from a Land Rover or truck, the variant in the Perentie is an industrial rather than automotive engine but the differences are few. Best bet is to get a 4BD1T from a truck if you want decent performance on the road. The later years are a little more refined than the earlier ones. My 110 CSW has a 1984 motor versus the 1994 motor in my Perentie, the Perentie is a touch smoother and quieter.
Gearboxes used in 110s behind the 4BD1 are both the LT95 and the LT85+LT230. For the LT95 (unsure of LT85/LT230 combo), you need one with .996:1 high range, or the low-revving engine will be revving its tits off at highway speeds even with 33"+ tyres.
The bits between the engine and gearbox are the hardest part to find. The LT85 bellhousing in particular is fairly uncommon now. But all the parts do come up when you look hard enough or long enough.
There is/was a company or two in Aus making adapters to match an Isuzu 5 or 6 speed box to the LT230, which would be ideal really as even the robust LT95 suffers behind the 3.9l four pot, if laboured hard (and the engine loves to labour, bucketloads of low rpm torque...)

Outback, if you're properly stuck and still wish to import to the US, I can try and help you out, though I am slow as a wet week with that sort of thing, and am not a professional! Contact via PM on this forum (or isuzutoo-eh on AULRO) is best to start with.

I love my FFR :)
DSC_0771a_zps10c17f46.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater