The "Az Crew" Thread

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Tork, 3K is pretty reasonable for a decent used vehicle with those capabilities. Toasty is downright cutthroat brutal when it comes to valuing Monteros, however. While the price on THAT particular Montero may not be very flexible, I believe what he may be implying is that you could get an even better one (newer, lower mileage, better service history) for the same or similar pricing. Maybe he'll get back on here to explain more.

John B.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
JBFP is spot on, you can get a nicer, newer, better equipped rig for that price. Maybe if it's solid and runs good and you can get it closer to 2k you could do some maintenence and make it nice again. 3.8 powered Gen 3's start in the 3k range, they won't be great but for the same investment in time and money you can have more truck.

Rontopia

hi all,

im a Tucson Montero owner. I currently have 2. I have a 97 SR with 190k on the clock. I also just bought a 2002 gen3 limited. the 97 i have had for several years. I put lots of work into it to get it up and running and its still running well. however my wife wanted me to get something that didnt have missing door panels and didn't "smell funny".

so i got a 2002 which is really different. its in almost new condition, had lots of service records and has just over 116k miles. it really does drive like new. Leather inside is perfect and so is all the trim, glass, carpet and the radio.. man it sounds great. im also surprised that i got 20mpg on my 2nd tank. not bad really.

anyway

its really nice, but.. it does need tires. right now its running 265/75r/16's on stock suspension. what i am wondering is can i get away with slightly larger? or i should say taller? 285/75/16 is a common size.

also dont know if any of you have ever tried https://www.treadwright.com/? if so what is your impressions?

also..

the skid plate that gos over the oil pan is missing. I cant seem to find that online any where. if any of you know where i can get the stock plate? or a aftermarket one?

thanks

Last edited:

Rontopia

Do you have a mechanic that knows what he is doing and knows monteros that is willing to do a pre-purchase inspection? If so could you pm me his number? Btw does anyone know anything about this? https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/5920782706.html

sorry I just saw this. dont know if your still looking. but any decent mechanic will be able to check for leaks, wear on the suspension, belts and timing belts..

I used midas. they have a free inspection if your buying a car, or you can pay 70 or 79 dollars for a full inspection.

dealers like to pressure wash things to make it harder for you to spot issues unless you take the time to put the truck on a lift. Midas has done a good job for me in the past at spotting problems.

Senor Carey

Observer
Did I see a certain blue Monty heading down Oak Creek Canyon, yesterday, early afternoon? I can't imagine many others looking like your's, Toasty. I was in my UZJ100, so I'm sure you missed me...

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
thanks Toasty, I sent them an email. the website doesn't have much in the way of information.

It's a brand new part. And that's IS Toasty, and IncorpoRatedX. Agree that a picture would be nice, but it's the same part that used to be on the vehicle, except made from real metal instead of plastic. Everything they've made so far is really tough stuff.

I'm getting ready for the homecoming of my '87 Raider. Since it still needs the proper flex plate, it hasn't been tested, but that day will come THIS YEAR! (Safe to say since it's only January 2nd). I was able to find a seller of the plate on Facebook, but he still has to pull and inspect it.

Since I'm swapping out that part, I ordered a new rear main seal set (Timken). I don't believe I changed that when I originally got the engine, so there's my silver lining. I'll tell myself it would have probably leaked if left unchanged.

Also ordered a new turbo mounting gasket set since I'm changing the downpipe and the $5 set is the only way to get that triangular gasket for the turbo-to-downpipe seal. I also ordered all five brake soft lines, a couple more Wix oil filters and a couple of front hub bearing seals.

I have a box full of LED exterior light bulbs for everything (including a compatible flasher unit) except the headlights. I'll wait on those for now ($360/pair from superbrightleds.com). I'm also planning to swap every interior bulb to LED's in the future. The aforementioned site has the little wedge base bulbs that fit in the holders in the idiot light cluster and instrument panel as well as every other control area. I already have a couple of different festoon light bulb selections for the dome light, one of them just stupid bright.

I'll install the stereo I used to have in my '86. It rocks.

John B.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Did I see a certain blue Monty heading down Oak Creek Canyon, yesterday, early afternoon? I can't imagine many others looking like your's, Toasty. I was in my UZJ100, so I'm sure you missed me...

Not mine, there is one the same color on 33's rolling around. Could be that guy

thanks Toasty, I sent them an email. the website doesn't have much in the way of information.

Yeah, we're noobs at web design but not so much new to Montero stuff.

HUM469

Working... and working...
Any of you more fabrication types... it's not directly related to Monteros, but I have a project I am about to start on and I need some feedback/info if not full on help. Please call, text or PM me for details, but there could be free kayak and camping gear rentals, tours, or even full classes in trade available to those able to help out, in addition to any appropriate compensation. I don't want to fill up the thread with it though since as stated, it doesn't directly apply to our trucks...

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Any of you more fabrication types... it's not directly related to Monteros, but I have a project I am about to start on and I need some feedback/info if not full on help. Please call, text or PM me for details, but there could be free kayak and camping gear rentals, tours, or even full classes in trade available to those able to help out, in addition to any appropriate compensation. I don't want to fill up the thread with it though since as stated, it doesn't directly apply to our trucks...

How about money? Cold hard cash speaks louder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach