The Back Country Camper Build, small & simple

Gunslinger1

Observer
build materials

Tent is regular canvas used for tarps. Wife sewed it on sewing machine at the two corners. It is folded over and screwed to the side of the camper at top and bottom then wood trim is screwed over it to hold it on. Makes it very easy to replace if needed. I did not paint over the screw heads so they can be removed easy. You can remove the wood trim and canvas in about 30 min and be ready to install new canvas. I have a 6000 btu new window unit in rear now and a set of camper jacks installed that come off with a pull of a pin. It ties down with four ratchet straps to the bed bolts. The outside plywood is painted with two coats of polyester boaters resin. It seals out the water then painted with oil base outdoor paint. The wood grain shows thru the paint and at first I thought I would get it painted by a auto body painter but the wood finish looks nice and everyone likes the look. Not to mention making it very easy to fix a scratch. Camper has a couch on one side and a counter top on the other for a stove and a small storage area for supplies as well as a small storage area in the cab over. I have a new set of plans drew up and am ready to start a new build.

Last edited:

pods8

Explorer
Depending on the desired longevity of your future builds you may want to think about covering/sealing the plywood edges up (more so that just some penetrating resin) to prevent wicking, lots of wood builds start having issues after a couple years there when the stuff is exposed like that. Campers with wood floor packs have that portion shielded by the truck bed and hold up better.

Gunslinger1

Observer
more pics

with the top closed

Attachments

• camp closed 1.jpg
    camp closed 1.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 49
  • camp closed 2.jpg
    camp closed 2.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 46
  • inside camp 1.jpg