The Belafonte - aka "Poor man's EarthRoamer" Ambulance Build

CLynn85

Explorer
On the hatch/vent installation, I decided that becuase I was mounting mine pretty far aft, that I could sacrafice one beam in the ceiling. I did run "L" channel from the beam to beam to support the new opening. It has worked out well. I was just on my roof yesterday to wash it (man was it dirty) and it all seems to be holding up well. It does not flex at all, so I guess adding the channels really helped. It did feel funny cutting a hole in the top of my truck. These things are built like tanks!

Dodger

I posted pics of my vent installation in my "Productive Weekend" topic

Thanks. That's actually [sort of] the same route I took. One side was already braced from the factory, the other I plan to run either a piece of angle or box tube underneath to shore it up, but we'll get to that after this weekend's camp trip.

CLynn85

Explorer
In effort to get us camping in WV this weekend I'm trying to blow through some of our upgrades. To that end I notched out the structure and threw the fan in yesterday/today. Need to re-route some legacy wiring still and finish the ceiling, but that can wait til after this weekend.

OMGHOLEINTHEROOF!
IMG_20130730_182026_646 [50%].jpg

Old Star of Life remnants
IMG_20130730_182031_185 [50%].jpg

Installed Exterior
IMG_20130730_191613_726 [50%].jpg

"Installed" Interior
IMG_20130730_194106_614 [50%].jpg

Hope this thing was worth the effort!

CLynn85

Explorer
Looks nice from the outside. How did you seal it?

Used DICOR 501 as recommended by Maxxair, worked really well. Wish I had used that when I re-sealed the roof on our last camper!

Why such a large cutout in the ceiling panel?

See Post 97. Main reason was a complete lack of knowledge of what was on the other side of the ceiling. Couldn't really get a feel for it just by removing some covers/lights and it would've been a HUGE leap of faith to just go up on the roof and start cutting downward from that side. Figured best approach was to remove a moderate section of the ceiling and make a plan from there. I intend to reinstall the section I removed and trim out the cut lines with aluminum flat stock.

Baloo

"The Bear Necessities"
Looks like it is time to clean that roof! It took over an hour to clean mine last weekend. Darn trees...

CLynn85

Explorer
So just an update. We wrapped up our preparations for Monongahela with a quick aux-battery install. Just dropped in a Walmart special group 24 and tied it in with a blue-sea battery combiner switch to have power to run our fridge/lights/fan for the weekend with no starting issues.

IMG_20130801_165347_021.jpg

IMG_20130801_165438_445.jpg

And what's a camper without some stickers??

IMG_20130801_200132_976 [50%].jpg

Then we headed off to Monongahela with the A.R.S.E.S. for a great weekend. No real issues to speak of other than the ambulance complaining over some of the steeper mountain passes. The size of this thing really does make itself apparent on single lane dirt roads, especially the vertical clearance. Makes me often wish we had gone with a truck-based chassis.

Full trip report here with input from Jay and Mark also: http://americanadventurist.com/Forum/showthread.php?689-ARSES-attack-Monongahela-National-Forest

IMG_20130803_150941_707.jpg

IMG_20130803_191351_769.jpg

envelope.jpg

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Awesome Picts Carl! Very glad to see you out on getting that bad boy dirty! Keep up the great work and you better let me know when you take a road trip to CA! :sombrero:

CLynn85

Explorer
Sadly, no. We only got to use it one more time after the Monongahela Trip, and it was just a State Park overnighter for the Belle Isle Seafood fest.

Sure Stands out in a parking lot - lots of comments on that.
Bell Isle Ambo.jpg

MMMM... Seafood.
Belle Isle Seafood.jpg

CLynn85

Explorer
We're actually considering selling the Ambo.

We built it with the intention of doing longer road trips with a more comfortable platform than our previous campers and with the thought that we'd convert it to 4WD to gain back the lost mobility.

After having it for a year and a half we've stayed in it a total of 8 nights, for a number of reasons, but one significant one is the limiting size of the rig, and the fact that we have to break down camp every day. For that reason we're considering a jump back to a trailer. We're debating on selling the ambo as-is, or stripping the RV amenities out and selling it as a utility vehicle.

theburtseoni

Observer
Bummer- I mean selling it will be somewhat of a bummer! I was looking forward to your 4X4 conversion, but I can appreciate your logic! It is a pain to have to 'break camp' for day trips, or other excursions. But- you could just add a tow-along dingy for those day trips, or off road adventures and come back to the big 'A' camper at the end of the day? Maby something small like a Suzuki Samurai?

CLynn85

Explorer
Bummer- I mean selling it will be somewhat of a bummer! I was looking forward to your 4X4 conversion, but I can appreciate your logic! It is a pain to have to 'break camp' for day trips, or other excursions. But- you could just add a tow-along dingy for those day trips, or off road adventures and come back to the big 'A' camper at the end of the day? Maby something small like a Suzuki Samurai?

We've considered it, but a big part of it too is that it's already one extra vehicle to maintain, adding a dingy would just be another vehicle on top of that, and would kind of duplicate the capabilities I have with my Tacoma. Initially we thought we'd haul the KLR on the back, but the wife doesn't ride at all, and we could never really make the logistics work.

I'd love to do a HUGE truck like you have, and this was kind of testing the waters in that direction, but I just can't figure out how to make that work here on the east coast.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Good luck with the decision. The rig has lots of great points and some of those negative ones you mentioned.... one thing James and I have discussed a bunch is, there is no ONE perfect set-up. Made even tougher when you add multiple "hobbies" - solo trips, biking, kayaks, family trips, lots of highway driving vs lots of east coast trails, etc. I know we talked once and you said (if I remember right) the FWC was your favorite, my question is other than size, how is breaking down camp from a FWC different from Ambo? I have done several solo and just me and my daughter trips this fall using the Flippac, and even as simple as that is, I have wondered if a hard side set-up would be nice - LC set up as camper, Ambo or van.... again no ONE solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven