The Belafonte - aka "Poor man's EarthRoamer" Ambulance Build

jronwood

Adventurer
Thanks on the reply.

It is soo good you have ALL the mechanicals still in place. There is thousands of dollars in that stuff, not to mention all the "pre plumbed" wiring you have in that frame of that thing. Mine was "robbed" by the maintaince dept for the Pitts EMS service incase they needed parts for another. Mine was a "light roll", slid about 2' once it was over. Everything still works (doors and such). I dunno how many year it will take before it get some attention.

Yours looks awesome!

Jronwood

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Check out these guys for the sofa.

We had them make a sofa for us. Fairly reasonable (I think about $800 delivered to Phoenix) but the best part was they made it to our length to maximize the space available and it is comfortable. I did have to hack the base to fit it where the oxygen bottles used to be.

http://www.discountvantruck.com/

Also keep in mind the likes of Maaco for the paint work. They did a full color change on ours for $1680 out the door. Not a show quality job but very passable.

Anyway keep up the good work with the build report. Here another photo to keep you focused :)

Ambo and EarthRoamer.jpg

Baloo

"The Bear Necessities"
Your build makes me wanna go out in the driveway right now and work on mine. I have owned mine for over 6 years now, no regrets. Just have to find time to put the ambulance box on my big truck. I will get some up to date pics up of mine. Good luck, looks great!

SLO_F-250

Explorer
CARL!!! Build is looking great! Keep up the good work! I like the blacked out cabinet doors. Very clean. Did you just paint them?

Cant wait to see pictures of the first trip. Also how is that 4x4 conversion coming. I see that it might be a bit sooner rather than later...... :drool:

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
Really detailed build. Now i'm torn between an Ambo and an E350 passenger. The only downside with the Ambo, is the two kids in hte back not being able to sight see trips. If I could add windows and "temporary" forward facing seating for the driving portions.

Anxiously waiting updates.

CLynn85

Explorer
Thanks for the comments guys. The ambo hasn't gotten a lot of attention this month with lots of racing and LONG work hours, but I have been able to get a few things buttoned up and mocked up, it's getting closer to where I'd like it on the interior. Will post more details later but here's a few pics of it today.

IMG_0988 [1024x768].JPG

IMG_0989 [1024x768].JPG

IMG_0990 [1024x768].JPG

IMG_0997 [1024x768].JPG

El Heffe

Thanks for the comments guys. The ambo hasn't gotten a lot of attention this month with lots of racing and LONG work hours, but I have been able to get a few things buttoned up and mocked up, it's getting closer to where I'd like it on the interior. Will post more details later but here's a few pics of it today.

View attachment 122248

View attachment 122249

View attachment 122250

View attachment 122251

I dont suppose you have an email address your willing to share so I can talk to you about how you made that fold out bed? I am struggling with how to do mine and you seem to have solved the problem.

CLynn85

Explorer
Not a whole lot to update, my real job has been dominating my life lately, looking forward to some weekend trips in this thing to decompress if I could ever finish some things. Lot of little stuff that's not photo-worthy, like collecting everything I need to finish the plumbing, worked on the fridge slide a little more but need to re-evaluate my latching mech, etc. I also continued my month-long quest to mount a hitch. Spent a significant amount of time turning electricity into noise and Lennox sawz-all blades (the expensive ones...) into dust, but not much else...

One note-worthy thing I did get done was to mount a set of new 235/85/16 Coopers. Gave me 1.5"+ more clearance throughout, huge improvement.

new tires.jpg

AFSOC

Explorer
CLynn85, your work is very impressive. The results rival many coach builders. I love this project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven