The Big O JKUR build thread

MTSN

Explorer
One more quick upgrade that was unplanned. I was out wheeling a couple of weeks ago and hit my rear diff cover on a rock that caused some weeping, so I had my local shop put on an AEV cover to replace it. I know there are cheaper options out there, but I think the quality of this one makes it worth the extra coin. The fit and finish are impeccable, and it's a nice subtle look which I like. I highly doubt I'll ever have to worry about this one in the future!

IMG_6927.JPG

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Nothing subtle about the AEV and the Bull...:elk grin:

Subtle is a diff cover from RuffStuff...just put this one on my WK

e237ca3cd5b1d4a14b86d897a18071a8.jpg

minuit

I really like the AEV diff cover, first time I've seen it.

Unfortunately for me it looks like they don't make them for D30's only D44's (JKU Sport here). I couldn't stand running 2 diff covers in the front & back.

Dr.TardCakes

Enjoyed reading through this whole build.

One question, you seem to like your camping, do you just use a ground tent since you have no roof rack?

I see you are experienced, so I thought I would get your two cents on that.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Haha true, however I was comparing it with the bright red ARB diff cover which is a bit more conspicuous :D

I have the shiny black front ARB diff cover. I hit it on a rock in Moab yesterday and it started leaking opposite the hit. Leaked all the way home. Might have been installer error. The bolts seem to have loosened up a lot.

MTSN

Explorer
I have the shiny black front ARB diff cover. I hit it on a rock in Moab yesterday and it started leaking opposite the hit. Leaked all the way home. Might have been installer error. The bolts seem to have loosened up a lot.

I was very close to pulling the trigger on the ARB, and I imagine it's probably about the same quality of the AEV one. That really sucks it started leaking! Hopefully you can torque it back down again and eliminate the leak. My factory one was peeled back like an orange, so it was beyond repair when I hit mine. I'll report back if I ever have any issues with the AEV one.

MTSN

Explorer
Enjoyed reading through this whole build.

One question, you seem to like your camping, do you just use a ground tent since you have no roof rack?

I see you are experienced, so I thought I would get your two cents on that.

Truth be told, I hate sleeping on the ground in a tent :D My wife however, absolutely loves ground tents, so that's the direction we go when we camp. My goal in purchasing the Jeep in the first place was to buy the Ursa Minor J30 pop top tent, but this year had a bunch of big expenses which pushed back the priority of getting it. She basically told me I could either lift and build the Jeep, or I could leave the Jeep stock and get the J30 since the two options cost roughly the same. I chose building the Jeep first since I get to enjoy that every day versus only enjoying the J30 a few days a year. While I love the idea of a roof rack on the JKU, they're very expensive and permanently alter the top which I don't want to do if I am planning to sell it later down the road when I replace with the J30.

A project I'd like to do over the winter which is a compromise in between a ground tent and a J30 is to build a simple sleeping platform inside the Jeep, particularly for when I'm camping by myself. I figure that will give my back more comfort than the ground and good weather/animal protection as well. I plan to spend less than a grand on it too which has good wife acceptance factor!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I think your idea to build first, then get the top was a great choice! :beer:
So much easier to get through a trail when not worried about dragging over this, or banging on that.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Truth be told, I hate sleeping on the ground in a tent :D My wife however,

A project I'd like to do over the winter which is a compromise in between a ground tent and a J30 is to build a simple sleeping platform inside the Jeep, particularly for when I'm camping by myself. I figure that will give my back more comfort than the ground and good weather/animal protection as well. I plan to spend less than a grand on it too which has good wife acceptance factor!

Wife! Congratulations!

I just made a sleeping platform myself. I think you're a bit shorter than me. It should work out perfectly for you two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk