The Big O JKUR build thread

MTSN

Explorer
I received a PM about the horizontal headlight adjustment screw I added, so I figured I'd post it in here even though there is a writeup or two out there somewhere. Head to your dealer or order part number 55078114 which I think was around $2 each. You'll want to order 2 so you have 1 for each side.

You first pop off the grill with the plastic pop rivets (I snapped one so it's nice to have a spare) and remove the headlights from their buckets which requires a Torx / T-15 driver. I bought one that looks like a thin screwdriver to make headlight adjustment easier since the ring is held on by the same type of bolts as the adjustment screws. After you remove the headlights, you'll see the vertical adjustment screw in the upper left corner and the fixed post bolt in the diagonal corner below:

IMG_5684.JPG

Use a 15mm crescent to reach behind the bucket and loosen it until it comes out. It takes a little bit to work it out since you have a small range to work with.

IMG_5686.JPG

This is what the bolt looks like once it's removed. You can see the rim/crown of the bolt at the end where the bucket snaps into place over top of it.

IMG_5687.JPG

This is what the replacement screw looks like:

55078114aa.jpg

Simply replace the fixed bolt with the new one. Although the threads are different, the new adjuster screw goes in without any issue.

IMG_5688.JPG

Repeat the same on the other side, and be sure to aim them on a flat surface in the dark. I'd suggest keeping the Torx driver in the Jeep with you for a while until you get the aiming fine tuned. Fortunately because Euro Jeeps have the horizontal adjusters, the grill already has the cutout for you to put the driver in without having to remove the grill. I would HIGHLY recommend if not flat out say it's a necessity to add this adjustment to any LED or HID aftermarket headlights. You're not only not getting the proper light down the road, you could very well be blinding other drivers without full adjustment. It takes a bit to dial in properly, but it's absolutely worth the time and very minimal cost.

MTSN

Explorer
I also finally installed the MORE dead pedal which was very simple and straightforward. It fits great and the powdercoating job makes it look totally factory too!

IMG_6108.JPG

MTSN

Explorer
I also just hit 40k on the Jeep, so I decided to switch over to Mobil 1 synthetic oil which I have used on most of my vehicles in the past with great success. I have used 5k, 7.5k and 10k intervals in the past to change the oil depending on the vehicle and usage, so I'm going to change it in 5k and send a sample to Blackstone to see how it looks. My guess is 7.5k will be where I end up, but I'd like to have objective data to back that up. It will also be interesting to see if the oil condition/maintenance minder light appears on the Jeep in between oil changes.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
How was I not subscribed to this thread? So many good pictures.

I also just hit 40k on the Jeep, so I decided to switch over to Mobil 1 synthetic oil which I have used on most of my vehicles in the past with great success. I have used 5k, 7.5k and 10k intervals in the past to change the oil depending on the vehicle and usage, so I'm going to change it in 5k and send a sample to Blackstone to see how it looks. My guess is 7.5k will be where I end up, but I'd like to have objective data to back that up. It will also be interesting to see if the oil condition/maintenance minder light appears on the Jeep in between oil changes.

Post back your results. I just waited 7k between changes of non synthetic, which made me a bit nervous. Some data to support that interval would be great.

MTSN

Explorer
Will do. I intend to send a sample from my first oil change with synthetic along with the conventional I just pulled out to Blackstone to see what the results are. So far I haven't noticed any real difference or leaks or anything, but getting an objective report will be nice.

dstock

Explorer
Nice build!!

I need to do the headlight adjuster fix, just tricky with the ARB bumper with hoop and winch. Guess I'm just being lazy!!!

MTSN

Explorer
Nice build!!

I need to do the headlight adjuster fix, just tricky with the ARB bumper with hoop and winch. Guess I'm just being lazy!!!

Thank you! My ARB doesn't have the hoop which makes it much easier to pull the grill. The mod is definitely worth it though, so grab a couple of your favorite beverages and take a stab at it when you have time! :sombrero:

MTSN

Explorer
It's been a while since I added anything to the Jeep which has made my better half quite happy :D I have been looking forward to the new JW Speaker 279 J tail lights however, and they finally started shipping about a week ago. I picked up a pair from my favorite local retailer High Country 4x4 and installed them this weekend.

A couple of observations.

Pros: They look very cool and are extremely bright and vivid. The light blades look great up in close and has a lot of definition which is what makes these lights stand out. It certainly gives the Jeep a clean, high tech look, and combined with the JW Speaker headlights and fog lights makes the Jeep appear quite modern.

Cons: The quality isn't quite up to what I would expect from JW Speaker. The seams on the plastic housing do not line have the super tight tolerances I would have expected, and there is certainly a gap between the housing and the internal parts you can see air through (hard to describe - pics below). Also, even though the kit comes with all the parts you need to put the set together, it would have been nice for the resistor to already have been mounted to the metal plate and the hooks installed to attach it to the sheet metal. My guess is that it's easier to package the way they send it, but I'm sure it could fit fully assembled if they wanted it to. The last complaint I have is that it doesn't actually say anywhere on the housing that it's built in the USA, but the resistor very clearly says it's made in Mexico. I think most people who buy their products want to know for certain they're buying a USA made product and pay a premium for it.

The install was straightforward and took about 10 minutes, and as mentioned you need to attach the resistor to an angled metal plate which then clips onto sheet metal inside the Jeep wheel well cavity to keep the resistor away from anything that could be damaged by the heat it puts off. There were zero issues with fitment, and they worked perfectly upon install. Overall I would say I'm happy enough, however I think at this price point I would expect a little better quality. My guess would be a version 2 iteration will address these issues, but it's slightly disappointing to have to wait for a future product to address simple issues. One other small complaint is there is a cheesy looking DOT sticker inside the housing which I can only assume is there for legal reasons, but it looks very cheap and is annoying to look at. Here are some pics:

Out of the box:

IMG_6834.JPG

Wiring is a little on the messy side. Not a huge deal.
IMG_6838.JPG

Cheesy DOT sticker.
IMG_6839.JPG

Epoxy looks a little sloppy - again not a huge deal as long as it does the job.
IMG_6845.JPG

The only "made in" marking on the lights is the resistor saying made in Mexico.
IMG_6843.JPG

Installed.
IMG_6847.JPG

Closer.
IMG_6848.JPG

Close up (not showing the air gap from this angle).
IMG_6850.JPG

Running lights on.
IMG_6851.JPG

Close up running lights on.
IMG_6853.JPG

Air gap.
IMG_6859.JPG

Air gap closer.
IMG_6860.JPG

Air gap from other side plus lame DOT sticker.
IMG_6861.JPG

Tolerances a bit off, but still look to be solid enough to not let air or dirt in.
IMG_6863.JPG

Tolerances on the other light.
IMG_6864.JPG

Now I have JW Speaker front and rear (with LEDs in the turn signals, side markers, and license plate light too).
IMG_5757.JPG

As I mentioned, I still like the lights, but I think I was expecting a little better quality since my other products from them are top notch. My guess would be a version 2 will address the small issues pointed out, and time will tell if this one is solid enough in the long haul. They have a great warranty behind them, so I'm not too worried about it. They certainly achieve the goals I was looking for - modernizing the rear end, increasing the visibility in traffic, and eliminating the rest of the non-LED exterior lights.

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
They look good overall. I'd be concerned running through mud, snow (and salted roads), sand, etc with that gap there. All kinds of stuff gets flung up. Wonder if you're going to get a bunch of moisture in there, which would suck...guess time will tell.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
It's been a while since I added anything to the Jeep which has made my better half quite happy :D I have been looking forward to the new JW Speaker 279 J tail lights however, and they finally started shipping about a week ago. I picked up a pair from my favorite local retailer High Country 4x4 and installed them this weekend.

A couple of observations.

Pros: They look very cool and are extremely bright and vivid. The light blades look great up in close and has a lot of definition which is what makes these lights stand out. It certainly gives the Jeep a clean, high tech look, and combined with the JW Speaker headlights and fog lights makes the Jeep appear quite modern.

Cons: The quality isn't quite up to what I would expect from JW Speaker. The seams on the plastic housing do not line have the super tight tolerances I would have expected, and there is certainly a gap between the housing and the internal parts you can see air through (hard to describe - pics below). Also, even though the kit comes with all the parts you need to put the set together, it would have been nice for the resistor to already have been mounted to the metal plate and the hooks installed to attach it to the sheet metal. My guess is that it's easier to package the way they send it, but I'm sure it could fit fully assembled if they wanted it to. The last complaint I have is that it doesn't actually say anywhere on the housing that it's built in the USA, but the resistor very clearly says it's made in Mexico. I think most people who buy their products want to know for certain they're buying a USA made product and pay a premium for it.

The install was straightforward and took about 10 minutes, and as mentioned you need to attach the resistor to an angled metal plate which then clips onto sheet metal inside the Jeep wheel well cavity to keep the resistor away from anything that could be damaged by the heat it puts off. There were zero issues with fitment, and they worked perfectly upon install. Overall I would say I'm happy enough, however I think at this price point I would expect a little better quality. My guess would be a version 2 iteration will address these issues, but it's slightly disappointing to have to wait for a future product to address simple issues. One other small complaint is there is a cheesy looking DOT sticker inside the housing which I can only assume is there for legal reasons, but it looks very cheap and is annoying to look at. Here are some pics:

Out of the box:

IMG_6834.JPG

Wiring is a little on the messy side. Not a huge deal.
IMG_6838.JPG

Cheesy DOT sticker.
IMG_6839.JPG

Epoxy looks a little sloppy - again not a huge deal as long as it does the job.
IMG_6845.JPG

The only "made in" marking on the lights is the resistor saying made in Mexico.
IMG_6843.JPG

Installed.
IMG_6847.JPG

Closer.
IMG_6848.JPG

Close up (not showing the air gap from this angle).
IMG_6850.JPG

Running lights on.
IMG_6851.JPG

Close up running lights on.
IMG_6853.JPG

Air gap.
IMG_6859.JPG

Air gap closer.
IMG_6860.JPG

Air gap from other side plus lame DOT sticker.
IMG_6861.JPG

Tolerances a bit off, but still look to be solid enough to not let air or dirt in.
IMG_6863.JPG

Tolerances on the other light.
IMG_6864.JPG

Now I have JW Speaker front and rear (with LEDs in the turn signals, side markers, and license plate light too).
IMG_5757.JPG

As I mentioned, I still like the lights, but I think I was expecting a little better quality since my other products from them are top notch. My guess would be a version 2 will address the small issues pointed out, and time will tell if this one is solid enough in the long haul. They have a great warranty behind them, so I'm not too worried about it. They certainly achieve the goals I was looking for - modernizing the rear end, increasing the visibility in traffic, and eliminating the rest of the non-LED exterior lights.

The do look very cool.
How do you like the output at night?

MTSN

Explorer
The do look very cool.
How do you like the output at night?

To be honest I'm not sure yet - I put them on yesterday afternoon and then I watched football all night :D I'll try to grab a night shot tonight and post up a picture. In the dark garage they appeared extremely bright, and they are very conspicuous which will be good for the kind of drivers we have around here.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
To be honest I'm not sure yet - I put them on yesterday afternoon and then I watched football all night :D I'll try to grab a night shot tonight and post up a picture. In the dark garage they appeared extremely bright, and they are very conspicuous which will be good for the kind of drivers we have around here.

That's what I was hoping you would think. That extra brightness in the reverse lights will be nice too.
To me, it seems well worth the money, and a great install.
Thanks for the awesome job of being open with both pros and cons. That kind of unbiased review information is priceless! :beer:

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Email JW Speaker and get them to send you a replacement. If they're charging premium prices, they should have premium customer service also. I had a similar experience with TruckLite and they took care of it.

IPA

Observer
I've tried to build this Jeep into something that could pass for a factory vehicle to the uninitiated and tried to keep things looking as stock as possible. I also wanted to give it some updates to look and function more modern as well. I intend to daily drive the Jeep, do annual trips to Moab, and the occasional weekend wheeling runs to trails ranking on the 5-7 rating (scale of 10). We'll also likely be using it as a ski vehicle in the winter too. So far I'm extremely pleased with how cohesive the Jeep is, and I'm beyond excited with how well it performs dd duties compared to the other Jeeps I've had with 35s. The interior is remarkably quiet and comfortable, the power is more than adequate, and mpg has not been bad at all at ~15-18 mpg almost all city

That is almost exactly my planned use and approach to modifying the (2015, Tank green - but the orange has really grown on me, too) JKUR that I just bought. My very first "mod" was a set of Quadratec floor liners and a hitch, and in the next year or so I plan a small AEV or OME lift, 35" tires on AEV or the stock wheels, an ARB or similar front and rear bumpers with a winch, and a handful of other minor upgrades. I am very pleased with the stock performance and appearance and want to do mild, high quality improvements rather than make any major changes.

Anyway, yours looks great. Great job.

MTSN

Explorer
That's what I was hoping you would think. That extra brightness in the reverse lights will be nice too.
To me, it seems well worth the money, and a great install.
Thanks for the awesome job of being open with both pros and cons. That kind of unbiased review information is priceless! :beer:

Thanks Scott! I feel they're a nice upgrade even though there is room for improvement on version 2. Here are some night shots that don't really do it justice since it's hard to photograph (especially with an iphone).

IMG_6881.JPG

IMG_6884.JPG

IMG_6887.JPG

IMG_6890.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk