The Bigger Red Pig

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:It is really cool to see all the pics of the places you have been like Mexico and the mountainous regions of the US. Remember that later in life when you get married, have kids, and a good paying job you will think back about all your adventures and wish you could bring back the good old days! Your Dodge is a solid rig, and it looks like you are mechanically inclined enough to keep that beast going for the next 100 years. Do NOT sell it! Just keep me and everybody else on this forum happy by posting pics so we can remember the good old days!:smiley_drive:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Thanks guys. Twin sticking and a camper may happen eventually but lately I've been leaning softtopper, or throwing away the cap completely and just make the thing be a normal-ish truck. I'm getting tired of the horrible ride, crap steering, saggy stock bench seat, and associated crap. So I could sell it, and build/buy something else, but with my budget I would be in the same place. So I've started re-wiring it, fixing the stereo, and my clutch switch that failed a few months ago(I've been reaching under the dash and using it manually, probably looks like I'm stealing it!).

There is a ton of info on diesel truck resource. So far I'm thinking, newer bench from the junkyard, new alcan springs up front, some interior shelves and drawers, and something done about that steering shaft. A new set of tires and a damn speedo gear would be good too. Wish me luck.

I've resorted to safety-wiring the crap out of my bike to keep it going under my normal abuse, and I think now its time to step it up on the truck to make it live with what I do.

Any other (used) vehicle you buy will have the same problems -- so you may as well just fix the one you have. Fix it right, fix it once, be done with it. FYI -- that doesn't mean you have to buy the billion $$ upgrades that folks like Carli are selling -- even the OEM stuff is pretty damn durable on the 1st and 2nd generation Dodges.

I'm going through the same crap with my '99. Drivers seat foam is gone (common issue), lower ball joints were trash, heater core leaked, drag link and tie-rod ends are worn out, shocks puked all the oil out, blah blah blah . . .

It's still a whole lot cheaper than a payment on a new one.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
There is a steering joint (U-joint style) from a Chrysler FWD car that will fit on the steering box end of the steering shaft with minimal mods. Then just replace the rag joint and call it good. Pick and Pull parts are always more fun.

Terrainist

Explorer
Yep, you are better off keeping the truck and fixing things when and if you feel like it. You can do a ton worse than the one you've got now, don't risk it.

lstzephyr

wanderer
There is a steering joint (U-joint style) from a Chrysler FWD car that will fit on the steering box end of the steering shaft with minimal mods. Then just replace the rag joint and call it good. Pick and Pull parts are always more fun.

I ordered a 3/4 36 u joint the other day. It should be here soon. I will just weld it to the stock shaft if its long enough, if not I think a 2wd shaft should be longer. I will have to measure once I see it.

Thanks for the encouragement everybody. I guess I just needed to vent a little. I'm not really planning on selling it, I like the engine too much. I do think about throwing away the dodge bit sometimes.

Anyway I took the dash out yesterday and have been driving around without it. I will find my wiring issues! I hot-wired the clutch switch(never did like them), and fixed the stereo.. now it starts with just pushing a key(no more poking wires stupidity) which is a big mental boost. I just need to fix that suspension. I put a new airfilter in too, which made it drive much more normal, the old one was disgusting, I should have changed it sooner. It is fast(er) now and can keep up or outrun traffic. Maintenance, who knew?

Front springs are scheduled to get done in January. 2" front lift alcans hopefully, if not it will be skyjacker.

At one point I got tired of my bike's issues. This was the result.

IMGP2640.jpg

R1-08444-004A.jpg

My bike is now very reliable and acts much newer than its ten years, the work was worth it. I seriously doubt I will go that far with my truck, but its definetly time to stop being annoyed with it and to actually fix it.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The Honda XR 600R or 650R are my favorite bikes ever. I had a 96 600R with a big(ger) bore kit, Ti parts, White Bros pipe and partial Baja Designs street kit. It was a blast. Your Dodge is the same kind of torque monster, and if you chip away at it, will also give you years and years of smiles! It will also allow you to keep traveling, which is KEY to a happy life!

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
I've had a 2nd and 3rd gen Cummins but the 1st Gen body style has always appealed to me. Always like seein' them on this forum!:)

lstzephyr

wanderer
Love the black frame on the XRR :drool:

I'm 90% sure I'm going with black frame on my CR500.

Thanks! I just used some duplicolor wheel paint, and a ton of prep. It has lasted through all sorts of abuse, and that bike has been through some hell believe me! Do it to your CR!

It looked cool all blacked out, but was sketchy at night in traffic. So it became red with BIG lights.

IMGP2884.jpg

Fun in the rain.

IMGP2893.jpg

I truly adore my bike. It just works for me. I'm sure you all know that by now.:elkgrin:

IMGP4009.jpg

On the truck: I do have a 366 spring in my pump, and a few other pump tweaks. Its a good balance between horsepower and mileage right now. I think cutting open the heater box will happen this week. I'm planning on putting led's and new gears in the speedo, its always been wonky.

I really like the body style of this truck, the regular cab and the wing windows!

I still think I want to get some h1 37s, but I think I may try to just find some stock 16.5 8 lug steel wheels from something(dodge/chevy 80s truck) and slap them on. I found a local vendor with some, I'm going to go see what he wants for them tomorrow. The pass-side rear tire is dead, its got almost no tread and the others aren't far behind so its time. It won't happen this month but January hopefully I can pull together some springs and tires. That would fix the two major things that eat at me about this truck.

Thanks again for the encouragement. I just have to keep chipping away at it.

The Honda XR 600R or 650R are my favorite bikes ever. I had a 96 600R with a big(ger) bore kit, Ti parts, White Bros pipe and partial Baja Designs street kit. It was a blast. Your Dodge is the same kind of torque monster, and if you chip away at it, will also give you years and years of smiles! It will also allow you to keep traveling, which is KEY to a happy life!

I love the xr600r as well, I had one a few years back and I really enjoyed it even though it was pretty beat up. I want to try a good condition 600 someday.

I do like torquey engines. I had a turbo 2.0 4 once, and I know the other side. I prefer torque.

Traveling is definetly the plan! Thats good advice.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The H1 wheels ( 12-bolt version ) would really cool. You can get the pressed centers for those for about $45 each now. I think that would be the way to go. 3.5" backspacing would be about right. Most of those centers are designed to bottom out at the measurement. You might even be able to recenter at home.
If not, come up here and we can chuck them up in the lathe.

The 37" military tires are pretty short. They are about 35-34" with weight on them. They are dirt cheap and easy to find though. I would get a full size spare also, the sidewalls are not know for being the ultimate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk