The Bigger Red Pig

lstzephyr

wanderer
I did not know that about the height. I'm leaning away from recentered h1 wheels because there are 16.5 wheels everywhere around here. I found a few sets(16.5 x 10 nice aftermarket) on craigslist with crap tires for 200 or so. The local guy has 90% 37 radial tires for 350. The thing I'm debating about is that I could just get some treadwrights in a 315/75/16 that is a 34.8 or something tire. Which would be the same height as the h1 tires, and about the same price total(120 a wheel/tire). I may try my luck mounting them with tire irons, I have gotten pretty good with them, even on low pro sportbike tires. Afterall I can always pay someone else if I can't.

The main reason I want the height is gearing. I really want about 10mph higher gearing. 4 inches of tire should be something like that, if its more than 10mph thats even better. I know that 16.5 tires will only be getting more difficult to get as well, and it seems a bit silly to change to a less common rim. I've also thought about getting two used 245/75/16s locally for 30 a piece and running them until all four are trashed as the front tires are still decent(50-60% but goofy wear patterns) and only a 18 months old. Doing the used rears and then getting four larger makes the most sense financially, but that just isn't any fun! Decisions decisions.

This kinda stuff is why there are 10 different used tires for my bike bouncing around in the back of the truck and why I own two sets of wheels for it. I can change tires/wheels for conditions and how I'm feeling that week. :elkgrin: I have multiple gear sets for it as well come to think of it. Chain drive is brilliant as far as gearing goes. I have one set of wheels geared low, and one set geared high, with extra sprockets hanging about to do either the other way too. Fun fun.

Local spring shop said its 300 to rebuild my busted old springs, and that somebody had yanked a leaf out to try to soften the ride. Bastards! No wonder its sitting on the frame, these trucks are notorious for wearing them out anyway, and this truck has less spring rate. Brilliant. Anyway Alcan qouted me 235 for each front spring with a 2" lift. Stock leafs are 109 a piece. Skyjackers are the same as alcans if I remember right.

Springs, tires, u-joints, ball joints, and a steering shaft will happen! That should make this truck act much newer.

I did say this would be slow at the start ha.

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
When looking at wheels -- keep in mind that the 16.5" wheels won't hold the bead as well as the 16" (or 17") wheels will. This isn't a problem at normal street pressures, but as you start reducing pressure to smooth out the road, it can become a problem.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
For the least amount of work and most gain...just do the 315/75r16's. I ran those on my Dodge when I first got it ( with 3.54s ). Mine did just fine. I got my best mileage with that setup....24.5 at 63mph. Your running 4.10s aren't you....can't remember?

The 315s are also really easy to fit, with just a slight trim in front you should be just fine.

Might want to think about building/buying an adjustable drag-link to help center the wheel after the 2" front springs. My steering wheel is off a lot more than I would want with my leveling springs. If you got the time just do a crossover conversion! The stock style steering sucks. You can also get about 40 degrees of steering with crossover before the tires hit the frame....even with my 39s. The factory mounted steering box gets in the way turning right though. Also, the factory steering box mount bracket will fail, mounting the box directly to the frame seems to help a lot.

Don't give up the old girl. She will serve you right.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
I just gotta say Im envious of your life. You really seem to know how to get out there and do it.

I can only dream of being able to enjoy freedom of a beater truck, kick *** bike and all the travelling you do.

Maybe one day :victory:

UHAULER

Explorer
Have you looked into swapping your springs and hangers for something a little newer ? My friend had a 1991, about the same truck as yours and it was one of the worst riding trucks I have ever been in. I tried to get him to swap springs from another truck but he ended up selling it.

I would look into junkyard springs, maybe late model Chevy or Ford rear and possibly ford superduty front.

Last edited:

Bogie

Observer
Aftermarket direct replacement Dodge springs can ride well the go to upgrade it to use 52" Chevy rear springs up front but requires the front mount to be extended.

lstzephyr

wanderer
Have you looked into swapping your springs and hangers for something a little newer ? My friend had a 1991, about the same truck as yours and it was one of the worst riding trucks I have ever been in. I tried to get him to swap springs from another truck but he ended up selling it.

I would look into junkyard springs, maybe late model Chevy or Ford rear and possibly ford superduty front.

I've thought about it. In between writing a presentation on Balantidiasis I have been searching pirate4x4 for info on leafs. One thing I have thought about is a "bastard" pack. Stock main leaf, and a pack of whatever from something else under it.

Aftermarket direct replacement Dodge springs can ride well the go to upgrade it to use 52" Chevy rear springs up front but requires the front mount to be extended.

Extending the front hangers would be completely doable as far as my skills. I am not sure I can bum all the tools from locals to try and get that done though, but I have considered it. Really its only a couple cuts, and a little welding. I think using dodge rear leafs actually might make sense, as they are 24 x 28. The stock fronts are 24 x 24. So I would only have to move the rear shackle back a bit. The stock front are a 1900 pound spring(!) and a lot of rear springs are close to that. Maybe. I really don't want to do this again any time soon so getting a solid spring that will last is the main priority, whether that is a new one, or a crazy collection of junkyard leafs, doesn't really matter as long as its strong enough.

I've started sanding the truck and cap for some paint. That is slow going with a block, it may be time for the da to come out. The wheels are really corroded, and they look a ton better even with only about 30 minutes of sanding.

Bogie

Observer
While Pirate is a good resource check our Ramcharger Central Here is a good discussion on spring packs, there are quite a few guys doing Chevy spring swaps.

SChandler

Adventurer
Before going crazy with swapping springs, I would take a look and see how much suspension uptravel you have. On my 92, the front springs have sagged some and I have about 2" of uptravel. If I could afford replacement springs, I would have swapped some on and smoothed out the ride, just by getting the front axle away from the bumpstop. I have a 2wd truck that I rebuilt the front suspension on a couple of years ago, and new front springs on it raised the front end about 2" over what the sagged/broken old coils had. The improvement in ride was very impressive, even using the HD coils instead of the standard rate.

My plan for my 92 is to find a way to lift the front 2" or get a set of stock replacement springs on it. I think you'll find that if you do something of that order, the ride will get much better.

lstzephyr

wanderer
The truck only has about a 1/4 inch uptravel. Its basically on the bumpstops. Its bad enough I've begun to be concerned about un-neccessary weight and stress on the d60.

I'm just exploring all options. If I could get a reliable report on how these trucks were when new, and with new front springs I would be confident buying stock replacements. I just don't want to get into something that is a minor improvement. I don't think of 2 inches of travel as good enough. I think it needs more like 4-6. But I don't want to lift it. I may not get the choice though.

SChandler

Adventurer
I agree that 2" of uptravel isn't enough. I think that's why the 2.5" Skyjacker springs are so popular for these trucks. I think that should get the front of the truck to about 4" of uptravel. That's just a guess. I think my truck might have closer to 1" currently. I know the springs on mine have sagged some.

A side note on the Skyjackers: they get close to leveling the truck front to back (if that's important to you) with the stock rear springs, but from what I've read, they don't always have the right spring bushings if you have the 5/8" spring eye bolts vs. the 1/2" or 9/16" bolts.

lstzephyr

wanderer
That sounds like it would be good, having the skyjackers and 4 inches. I have heard of people putting in add a leafs on stock springs and getting about the same. That would be an option with stock replacement leafs if they weren't high enough.

I actually kinda like the rake. I wouldn't mind it leveled, but its not a grand concern.

I don't like not knowing what I'm doing, so I generally research the crap out of stuff before ordering/buying. Sometimes I have more general info than the people working in the shops as its somewhat specialized to my application.

I just gotta say Im envious of your life. You really seem to know how to get out there and do it.

I can only dream of being able to enjoy freedom of a beater truck, kick *** bike and all the travelling you do.

Maybe one day :victory:

I was thinking about this last night(while riding my bike offroad on my way to a new bar's opening day with a couple chicks, it seemed fitting lol) and really what it comes down to for me is simple. I never know how much time I will have, and whether I will ever have the chance again. So I go do stuff when I get the oppurtunity. Whether I can afford it, or pull it off doesn't really matter, if I can make it work I do it.

I think that I only have the time when I make time, so if not now when? If something is important to me I try to go after it. All of my trips this year were with little to no money, and a couple I skipped class and did my homework in internet cafes in mexico. I just go, and figure out the details when they become important. That and having supportive friends that want to do the same sort of stuff is great, I never turn down anyone when they ask if I want to go with them somewhere. There hasn't ever been a time I didn't do something that I wanted to do that I considered it the right decision.

Live like you will die tomorrow, dream like you will live forever.

I went to sedona, Az two weekends ago on a whim. We decided to go about 10 minutes before we left. It was a fun weekend hiking and whatnot. That was the catalyst for fixing the truck, we couldn't take it because of its issues even though it would have made camping alot better. My truck needs to get its act together so it can be used on a whim!

R1-08512-018A.jpg

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Don't do the add-a-leaf. That is basically what the previous owner did to mine. YUCK! I really need to ditch mine for some Alcans. Right now I am on a tire search....my big balloons are getting a little worn down.

I do enjoy being able to jump in the truck any time any day and drive it 1000 miles if I have to. No big deal. Its not perfect, but its darn reliable. Its also mostly one color now :)

lstzephyr

wanderer
How about you get some alcans and I give you something for your springs. I just want this damn thing off the bumpstops. It will probably get alcans, I will just have to cringe and run around screaming after laying down the money.

So I started screwing around with it. It has a transfer case leak I'm working on, so I degreased it. And I decided to do some sanding. I'm considering adding some paint of some sort, and I may go with the rustoleum route. I figure I may be able to just sand off the flaking clear coat, but if I decide to paint it, I still have to sand off the clearcoat. So not really a loss anyway, besides its not like it will make it uglier.

Step one was to wash it, and get the grease off the transfer case.

Before.

IMGP4048.jpg

During

IMGP4050.jpg

No after yet as I haven't crawled back under it yet, but here are some pics of sanding.

IMGP4053.jpg

If I could get it to look like the drivers side of the bed I would be happy. I like the flat look andway, I just want the flaking clearcoat gone.

IMGP4052.jpg

Overview

IMGP4054.jpg

And some photoshops, I want to bedline/flat black the lower body line. I'm debating about painting it all the way up to the second body line in some color or redoing it in red. Or some other color.

IMGP4054-1.jpg

IMGP40542.jpg

Maybe Black wheels?

IMGP40541.jpg

Maybe some other color(probably not white, but I had no clue what to mock it up with, maybe silver)

IMGP40543.jpg

I probably would paint the hood black, maybe with bedliner since I like to stand on it to take pictures.

I saw this truck that I really like the color scheme on.

_IGP5410.jpg

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
I like the last photoshop...red on top and tan/sand on bottom would look good. cummins beige would be very fitting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach