The Bigger Red Pig

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
looks good, as far as bedliner, we have used herculiner a few times in the past, been two years and its held up great, prep is key, and a gallon is about $100, obviusly more expensive than paint, but for the level of protection, i think it would be a fair trade, just my $.02

lstzephyr

wanderer
Front springs ordered. :wings: They will be here sometime next month. There is only one 2 in skyjacker in their warehouse in cali, so I have to wait until they get another. It made me laugh though, afterall who keeps one spring in stock?! No matter, I'm not in a grand hurry and I'm just happy to not have to pay for shipping. Plus its only 160 a spring(same price as stock replacements), so I can't complain.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
There is only one 2 in skyjacker in their warehouse in cali, so I have to wait until they get another. It made me laugh though, afterall who keeps one spring in stock?!

They probably sold a single to someone who damaged one (accident, broken leaf, etc), or their supplier either shorted a large order.

lstzephyr

wanderer
Goodtimes- Yeah that makes sense. I can't say I really thought about it very long.

Mustangwarrior-Dude, I've spent WAYYYY too much money lately, between going to colorado, classes, books, truck crap, cameras, film, lenses.... Another hundred is out of the question. I am on self imposed lockdown for a bit so I can afford to eat, live and whatnot.:elkgrin:

But I bought paint LAST week, so some more went on.

IMGP4201.jpg

Masking the wheelwells took some effort and time.

IMGP4202.jpg

Came out well though. I will probably do 4 coats again.

IMGP4203.jpg

IMGP4204.jpg

IMGP4205.jpg

After I have finished each coat of paint I usually wander off down the street to look at it from a distance. It puts it into perspective.

IMGP4206.jpg

My goal for this year is to DO more, whether that is go snowboarding, hiking, riding, fixing the truck, going to mexico, taking pictures, reading books, taking classes whatever. Do more. So far so good.

Last edited:

BCHauler

Adventurer
Great choice on the black. Looks really good. I love how you're investing a little bit of cash and a lot of elbow grease. Have you thought about doing the tailgate letters in black? Might look good as well.

I love your goal for this year. More of us should follow your lead.

lstzephyr

wanderer
I tend to debadge everything I own, I'm not entirely sure why I just prefer stuff without any extra badging. So I will leave the letters red for now, but I may photoshop them to see how I feel. Not a bad idea.

Well I took a break from homework today and got some more done on the truck. First thing to do was to install the new latches(also bought lastweek.:sombrero:) It was fairly easy but the holes did need to be drilled out. No big deal.

P1020355.jpg

P1020399.jpg

P1020381.jpg

Next up, another layer of black. It looked pretty uniform but it was still a little thin.

P1020349.jpg

Up close.

P1020353.jpg

So back in the garage and back to work. Painting this truck has been pretty relaxing as I put on some almost classical music and just take my time.

P1020380.jpg

I used a brush this time. I liked it, it took less time and was easier to cover large areas. When I touch up this truck in the future I will probably use a brush although I prefer the texture of the roller. With 6 coats underneath rolled on brushing it didn't change much of the texture.

P1020357.jpg

Spots like this are why I decided on this type of painting. I just didn't feel like messing with whatever the issue is here(filler not bonding? probably). So I just painted over it. Its not noticeable from a bit of distance.

P1020375.jpg

The paint dried faster when brushed on. I guess it was thinner. So I did a few coats today. In between coats I started messing with the interior, which is next on the list.

P1020358_stitch.jpg

You might have noticed this on the dash. I hooked it up a few days ago but had to pick up a mount.
P1020370.jpg

I mounted it right above the dash. I used a regular gauge cup.

P1020413.jpg

A bit more obvious than I would have preferred but oh well. A pillar gauges scream "modified" to me and I would have preferred to have avoided that but I couldn't come up with a better place to put it.

P1020403.jpg

I still have to figure out where to put this too.

P1020423.jpg

In between another coat I painted all the wheelwells. I haven't gotten to the frame yet but that will come soon. After all that and 3 coats of black I removed the tape.

P1020415.jpg

It looks pretty good to me. The blue tape had less residue and there was only a tiny amount of bleedthrough. I'm happy with it.

P1020417.jpg

P1020418.jpg

Of course, the view from the neighbors driveway.

P1020421.jpg

You can see the black wheelwells in this picture. I had to use a flash to get them to show up.

P1020424.jpg

Paint is almost done. I just need to do something about that front of cap bit. Also I think I will paint the doorhandles black as they got a bit of overspray(overroll?). I also need to paint little things like the windshield wipers and a few other things in some fresh black so I will do that all at the same time.

P1020362.jpg

Not too bad for a day's work. Especially considering I had three classes today.

P1020425.jpg

Last edited:

lstzephyr

wanderer
A few weeks ago I went on a little roadtrip with a few friends up to Durango Co to do some snowboarding. One of my friends was learning to ski, so I of course gave her crap for not trying snowboarding, and wandered about doing manuals and such.:victory: Good company, probably too much alcohol(although really good alcohol, Barleywine was a new one for me) and she caught on to skiing really quick. Durango is a really nice place. It was a fun 4 day trip!

P1020429.jpg

P1020436.jpg

P1020433.jpg

P1020444.jpg

P1020450.jpg

IMGP4231.jpg

IMGP4232.jpg

IMGP4236.jpg

IMGP4235.jpg

IMGP4234.jpg

IMGP4240.jpg

IMGP4225_stitch.jpg

IMGP4248.jpg

IMGP4241.jpg

IMGP4223.jpg

Good time! :wings:

IMGP4250.jpg

In mechanical news I broke my back wheel of my bike, so I started relacing, and truing that.

P1020968.jpg

I didn't do a single thing to my truck. Although I took a group picture. It cracks me up that my vehicles match as I really didn't intend it to work like that, but hey why not.

P1020941.jpg

Last edited:

lstzephyr

wanderer
I took the truck out to a weekend dirtbike event in Dragoon, Az. It was only an hour or so away and they were predicting snow so I decided to drive out and camp in the truck. My friend wanted to hitch a ride so on went her bike and a random bike from our group got a lift too. I had to borrow a trailer to get all the bikes down there but I just asked around our group and picked up a friends. Gotta love when a group comes together to make something happen.

First things first though this was not going to do it for sleeping under the cap.

IMGP4418.jpg

So I cleaned it all up and got everything out of the way. Its surprising how much space is really back there whenever I don't have a bunch of random junk in it.

IMGP4421.jpg

I picked up some material to make a headliner and some curtains. The headliner was a bit of a challenge to get installed by myself but it worked out ok. I just glued a section up at a time and pushed it up.

IMGP4422.jpg

IMGP4425.jpg

I ran out before I got the entire cap covered, and I was in a bit of a hurry so the seams weren't perfect but it served its purpose of taking down the reflections and making it look a bit nicer in there.

IMGP4428.jpg

A few weeks ago I had jumpstarted a car in a parking lot and snapped my battery cable end. I then promptly got distracted and forgot to fix it. So I rushed over to the auto parts store to grab a cable end and got that on at the last minute.

IMGP4431.jpg

Nothing like being prepared. I am about an hour late at this point. I had found out my air mattress had a major leak in it as well.

IMGP4429.jpg

But I got it all hooked up and loaded the trailer. The only problem was I loaded the bike before I put the straps on the hooks. I was really on a roll that day! My landlord came home just in time to give me a hand though, so it worked out perfect.

IMGP4434.jpg

I went and fetched the other bikes, picked up my friend, tossed a spare mattress in the back, and got myself on out there! I was really stoked to be on my way.

We woke up the next morning ultra early. It actually was really nice sleeping under the cap and I found it very comfortable. I should have done that before!

The setup for camp was awesome. I put it in first. Then I went to bed!

IMGP4435.jpg

It was a beautiful area.

IMGP4436.jpg

IMGP4437.jpg

We did lots of riding. The first day was pretty wide open desert. It was a lot of fun as we just randomly explored around. The second day was a bit rougher with lots of rocks and a never ending sand wash. The third day was a bunch of snow. Unfortunately my camera died, and I got distracted and didn't take any more pictures but I had a blast! I may add some pictures from other people later as everyone had cameras out.

I had a tough time going back to class today as I really enjoyed spending time out in the desert on the bikes with a bunch of like minded people!

IMGP4363.jpg

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
First off I would like to say that your truck looks nice with the red and black paint Alan. Also, it is so cool to follow your adventures with the pics you have posted. It makes you feel like you are right there, enjoying the whole experience. Keep those pics coming.:bowdown:

Bogie

Observer
Istzephyr
Just some sources of stuff to clean up your electrical system. I uses the Military Batt terminals which uses ring terminals to hold everything.
I get them from Wrangler NW along with any cabling (if you don't want to make your own)

thumbnail.asp

then use a power post like this from West Marine for accessory attachments. PN # (540658 for 5/16")(540666 for 3/8") Makes things much cleaner I have 3 total on my truck one under hood one in the rear of the cab and one without the accessory screws mounted mid chassis under the cab as I have cable run for a rear winch.

540658.jpg

Some Sources I use for electrical parts
Wayteck Wire - Everything Electrical

OTRATTW - Custom Switches

Wrangler NW - Dual Battery Stuff (download the catalog) lots of stuff not on web

4x4 Mods - More Custom Rocker Switches

Cole Hersee - About any type of switch, relay one could need

Maney Wire

Last edited:

jturkey69

Observer
new member here, and first off I want to say I love hearing your posts, and seeing your adventures and pics...its funny, you sound identical to a young guy who goes by the screen name Coltonis over on ClassicOldsmobile.com. Major props to you for taking the time to share everything your doing!!!

on to your rig...I have always wanted a first gen cummins, so this thread, and others will help alot in the future, although due to the number of children we have, it will have to be a crew cab, or a suv conversion. I have seen a few different ideas, and have a few of my own...just have to see if I can find a nice 4x4 thats not all rotted due to Wisconsin salt..lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues