The Buddy Expedition-Austin to Ushuaia!

jhvaron

hey: I life in santa marta. north of cartagena. If you are coming this way I will give you types to were to go.

this is my ride:
P1010005_zps532f105b.jpg

We're now in Taganga which is about 100+ miles from Cartagena. We took a small bus (Mercedes Sprinter)and our damn bus driver was still drunk from the night before and kept falling asleep at the wheel. We had to yell at him several times as we could see his eyes close and head drop down.

We landed in Santa Marta and stayed only one night because its not that great, so we took a cab to Taganga, got a sweet room at this hostel, meet a Frenchy and then took a boat ride to Tayrona National Park. Tayrona is sick, totally remote but you have a bunch of young backpackers tent camping, but still, it was kick ***.

Last night we had pizza of all things and it was damn good, and I really don't care for it! We're going on our third week here in South America and I hate to admit it, I want McDonalds! There's something about eating fish everyday that gets old and the beef here is pricey for the Argentine stuff.

Taganga's prices are half of Cartagena, so we like our $12. bottles of rum and vodka opposed to $25 in Cartagena.

It's still ************* hard to not get emotional seeing scroungy starving dogs and there's no way to even come close to feeding them. I would estimate there are half as many dogs as people, but for the most part, the dogs appear to be well fed, only about 20% appear to be starving.

The people here are nice and helpful, especially when they see gringo's trying to buy stuff from them. We have the numbers (for money) down as well as the food, it's the conversing part that's tough.

There's a ton of National Police everywhere so crime is almost non-existent unless you go of the beaten path. They all carry Sig's, I know because I asked them, and are really young, my guess is 18-23. At the roadblocks they're all carrying FAL's but still, they're very nice and are looking for dopers.

Everywhere I go I get offered drugs, I guess they see my tat's and ASSume I'm a druggy too. No one here has a full sleeve so a lot of folks want to look at them and their smile say's it all, even if I don't understand what the hell they're saying!

Oh, and I would say almost everyone has a motorcycle, usually a 100-150cc two smoke Chinese or Yamaha. They are like gnats, constantly darting around you, tooting their horn to warn you, but overall they seem like damn good riders. The sad thing is almost every bike I see has a low rear tire and loose chain in need of some PJ1!

We're in a really nice hostel called Casa Kankuamu, it's like the Hilton compared to the one we stayed at in Santa Marta. The owner is super cool, has super clean everything and nice WIFI. The one thing that is tough is putting your poo paper in a trash can and not flushing it. The water here is not safe to drink, but is ok to shower or wash dishes with. We consume about 2 liters of water per day and about a half liter of rum per night! :clap:

We're trying to make the best of it while waiting on our truck, so once we hit the road things will be better, the pictures will be better and maybe my liver can take a break from all the boozing. Yesterday we logged over 5 hours in the hammock playing our favorite music and exploring some new stuff.

Here's some of what we were listening to:

Nancy Sinatra
Kate Bush
Billie Holiday
Skylar Gray
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
John Anderson
David Allen Coe
Jerry Jeff Walker
Weezer
St Vincent with David Byrne
Any Winehouse
Led Baxter
Herb Alpert
Harvey Mandel
Gary Myrick
Joe Cocker
Inspiral Carpets
EMF
The Charlatans
The Wild Swans
ACDC
The Soup Dragons
and PIXIES

We hit the whole gamut of music, and having a link to the USA is nice, thank you WIFI!

I miss my family and friends, but as time goes on it makes the yearning part easier as we all know time heals all wounds. My grandmother fell 3 days ago (she's 92) and refuses to go to the doctor and claims she feels better. I personally think she's ready to go on and when she does, my grandfather will be lost, they've been married 71 years!

More later, hasta luego amigos!

View from our Santa Marta hostel

Santa Marta

Don't pet them, you won't be able to shake them!

TAYRONA NATIONAL PARK

OUR TRANSPORT BOAT

It's hard to put into words the things we're seeing, doing and especially the people we're meeting. The scenery keeps changing and the people are what we love most of all, they keep going put of their way to help us and one guy has already offered us his home to stay in. Our first overnight since Cartagena was awesome, we pulled in to get some gas and there was a really cool bamboo hut restaurant and a brand new hotel for $25,000COP, about $12.50 USD. Day two we were in the truck for about 10 hours and I was done, especially with my broken tailbone still hurting. The town was Rio Sucio and we loved it so much we stayed two nights at this super nice hotel called La Calera. The lady who ran the place was adorable and we met her two guard dogs and a ferocious baby cabra that we fed broccoli to.

The mountain roads are incredible, the clouds envelope the road in a thick, cool mist then disappear as quickly as they rolled in.

We are currently in staying in Salento at La Serrano, an eco-farm/hostel on LIFE REMOTELY'S advice. Like I stated earlier, I'm not a wordsmith, so it's hard to put into words what's going on.

I have a ton of pictures that I'll post shortly as for now, it's Miller time!

We've been playing a bit of TEJO latrely which is cool, you get to throw heavy metal discs at paper packets filled with gunpowder...oh, and drink a **** ton of beer!! WIN WIN!!

The weather is excellent, it's the rainy season here so lot's of moisture, overcast, fog daily with some sun for a few hours.

Last night we had the best meal ever, Tikka Masala at a local restaurant, stuff was the bomb as the food here is bland and starchy.

We've been hanging out with another couple that have a 4x4 VW Westfalia van with a Subaru engine, it's pretty damn slick and they are kick *** folks.

I finally got rid of my stomach bug after 32 days so I'm back to my regular self....sorry ladies, to us guys our bm's are very important.

OK THE WIFI HERE STINKS AND I JUST LOST ABOUT AN HOURS WORTH OF WORK...

So I'm just going to post some pics.....

Eating at Café Eliana

Coffee grinder in place of the winch

Salento

Looking out my back door

Wainiha

Explorer
Great pictures. I am afraid I may never get to travel again. Keep the updates coming. It's all I have right now.

Man you guys are moving quick...here I was gonna tell you there were TWO Mcdonalds in Santa Marta!

We've been in Salento for 11 days, then Rio Saldana for one night then Timbio one night searching for camping, then we decided to head North to Pance and we're here for at least a week, it's freaking awesome! We found a cool eco-lodge courtesy of Life Remotely and are currently in Cali enjoying free WIFI and an awesome Baileys Latte' at Ventolini Café.

Our costs per day are $88 per day while traveling and half that camping or staying in a lodge. The majority of our expenses are fuel and then alcohol! Lodging at the Reserva is $40,000COP per day, lunch is $8000COP and dinner is $16000COP....the dinners are so big we split them.

Today is our fourth day in Otavalo here at Casa La Luna Hostel and the weather is overcast and chilly, it's a nice change from steamy Colombia. We're currently at 10,000' and it's taken a few days to get acclimated but our nice friends from Holland gave me some coca leaves to brew some tea with. It definitely helps with the lethargy and headache. Looking back, I'm sure the headaches are attributed to the local rum from the night before.

The food in Ecuador is 180 degree's opposite from their neighbors from the North, Ecuadorian food is great! It's weird, how can you screw up mayo and ketchup???

We hit the art and food market and scored two huge sacks of produce for $4.00, it will go bad before we can eat it all.

Yesterday we visited Cotacachi and their leather market, it was during siesta so half the shops were closed. You hit four or five leather shops and they all start being the same.

We did do some bargaining in the square and bought our future grandson some sweet wool clothes and are dying to see him decked out like a little Ecuadorian baby!

The locals are tough, we see little old ladies and men carrying 100lb sacks of textiles on their backs with a strap around their forehead and walking hunched over. Now I know why the elders here have horrible posture.

Oh, we met a woman from Vermont today who is about to relinquish her apartment in Otavalo and we asked if we could get the landlords name so we could rent it. She will be back this evening but did mention it was kinda pricey for a two bedroom with secured parking. I asked her what "pricey" meant and she said "$180 per month....right up our alley!!!

So far, Ecuador is pretty darn good!

The couple from Holland want to sell their Mercedes 911 so they can return home after being on the road for 5 years. He wants my Landcruiser and I want his Benz....we're too far apart on monies but they are considering our offer. It's a fair offer, but it's also $5000 to ship it back to the USA. I've made contact with an agent who said no problem with importing it since it's a 1978. There's ton's of 26+ year old vehicles that are eligible for importing as long as the vehicle is over 25 yrs old it's ok.

Driving the Benz would end up being a savings since it's diesel and totally self contained. There's even a toilet, shower, stove, Waeco fridge/freezer, 4 batteries, 1800 watt solar system, water filtration system and more. We could be totally independent for weeks/months on end.

One of my favorite pics

Casa Del Rio in Mocoa

40% Deet is crap, that tard at REI that said it was all I needed...thank gawd I bought some Sawyers 98%

Finally, a real piece of carne, it was a nice change from the thin burnt meat they serve in Colombia

The Ecuador crossing was a breeze!

Looking out my restroom

Rummed up

Last edited:
This trail lead to a waterfall....down into a ravine....and then down all the way to hell....hiking at 10k' gets tiring

sketchy bridge, the penalty for failure is death, so we didn't cross and get right up on the falls

WE WANT BAD

IT DWARFS JOSEY

Market in Otavalo

******?

They follow the owner with the chicks in a cage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues