The dieimma of purchasing a new Toyota

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
You're right about the Tacoma's hood, it is out there for sure. I wish that I had a camera in the grill. I think I saw a video somewhere that showed a new Land Cruiser with a camera in front, must be nice. The smaller size of this truck is what I think that I like the most. My full size was great, but getting around on these trails is sooooo much easier now. Get the Taco, you won't be disappointed.
im sure there is a bump for the crew cab. Still the crew cab is less than a tocama crew cab. Funny on the F150 you are sitting up a little higher in relation to the hood so the truck doesnt seem as big as it is. The Tacoma you are sitting low and the hood feels tall, makes the truck seem bigger than it is. I'm 6'1". You sugestion of the F150 has certinally hit home with me. I may end up with one. I did like the post from MojaveJohn. There are no TRD off road 2015 in denver and the 2016 units are around $36 to $38K.

Clutch

<---Pass
im sure there is a bump for the crew cab. Still the crew cab is less than a tocama crew cab. Funny on the F150 you are sitting up a little higher in relation to the hood so the truck doesnt seem as big as it is. The Tacoma you are sitting low and the hood feels tall, makes the truck seem bigger than it is. I'm 6'1". You sugestion of the F150 has certinally hit home with me. I may end up with one. I did like the post from MojaveJohn. There are no TRD off road 2015 in denver and the 2016 units are around $36 to $38K.

If you look at the specs, they really aren't that much bigger than a Tacoma...sure in super tight places the Taco will be a bit better, but overall, especially if you're doing a lot of highway miles...think the F150 is the better buy. Will it be as reliable as a Toyota? Time will tell.

Stumbled on this thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/149785-New-2015-F150?highlight=2015+f150

Both the Tacoma and F150 are great trucks, tough decision for sure.

Last edited:

Badin

My fishing and hunting area is eastern Nevada and southern Utah on public - as in federal- land. No off roading is legal, but some of the legal roads can be difficult to the point of trashing a nice new truck. A full size stocker will get me 80% of the places I need to go, I have a beater 88 sc sb 4x4 Toyota as a dedicated hunting fishing rig for the other 20%. I do not like the sound of paint being scraped on a new 30-40 thousand dollar truck.

Clutch

<---Pass
My fishing and hunting area is eastern Nevada and southern Utah on public - as in federal- land. No off roading is legal, but some of the legal roads can be difficult to the point of trashing a nice new truck. A full size stocker will get me 80% of the places I need to go, I have a beater 88 sc sb 4x4 Toyota as a dedicated hunting fishing rig for the other 20%. I do not like the sound of paint being scraped on a new 30-40 thousand dollar truck.

There is that too...not sure if I would have the heart to go beat on a brand new truck. I have one vehicle that won't even see a gravel road...then old the Tacoma gets beat on, where the Taco can't go...I take a dirt bike. Seems like the majority of the people I know...are replacing their old Jeeps and Toyotas with SideXSides, then buying a fullsize for tow duties. I see more ATV's, SideXSides, and TW200 style motorbikes waaay in the back country, than I do pickups. Just easier and faster than any pickup.

Last edited:

BentBomber

www.bomberproducts.com
Another Front Ranger (kind of recently) here. I just had to upgrade my 02 DC Taco that was reasonably well built to do the things I like to do. I ended up buying a 2012 TRD Off Road Taco with 28k for around 25. It will need all of the things, like a cap, a bumper, and a lift, but the 10k I saved will definitely go a long ways towards upgrading it to be what my 1st gen was, only newer. They say the best value in vehicles is 3 years old with less than 30k on it. It has already depreciated enough to save you some money, but still has a huge amount of life left especially if well maintained. I'm also a hunter, and have two labs used for a bit of hunting. For me the truck is just the way to go because I don't like having dogs in the cab with me.

Additionally, if you ever need someone to fish or hunt with, I'm looking for people in the Denver area.

benji5280

up date

thanks for all the comments. This is how this shook out, at least for now. Not too long after I let this thread die, the long suffering girl friend had a freak accadent in her Accura MDX. She is ok but the car was totaled. Front control arm broke in half and she lost control, ended up taking out a few fence posts, one the size of a rail road tie. Car was totaled. Insurance company was very fair. So, I took her to just look at a 4 runner. She loved it in every way and we bought the first and only one we looked at or drove. Dark gray, trail, premimum, 2016. I am selling the jeep so in a weird way we really ended up with a brand new 4 runner for not much out of pocket, got rid of two cars, one I hated and one that was getting long in the tooth.

Right now I cant see that it really needs anything in the way of mods or up grades. We are going to stick some sliders from Slee on it as their new design makes a little step that will be helpful and serve some purpose other than being a step. The Toyota running boards are kind of cheap looking and I'm sure would get damaged right out of the gate.

After much thought I am going to revise my hunting and fishing truck deal to a used half ton pick. With the 4 runner in the drive I am in no hurry to get out looking for that. I will use the 4 runner and if it works out I may never get a truck, if not there are about a million, half ton trucks in the used market on any given day.

One of the things that long suffering girl friend has brought to my attention is that we are two people, and we have 4 cars. She is kind of sick of having them around and she pointed out they all need insurance, tags, taxes, service, etc. She has a point there, I think I can trim that down to just two in the next year or two. I am kind of sick of always having a car "isssue". Seems like one of the 4 needs something at any given time and that means money and I'm tired of that endless loop. I really like cars and I have had some of the great ones, still have a great one or two, but at some point they are just a pain in the *** and cost too much money.

So, I am happy that she wasnt hurt, happy that she has some steel around her in what feels like a very safe rig to me, I have a very nice truck to take hunting and fishing. I am kind of bummed I will have to wash and clean this truck at the end of my trips, give it back to her in reasonable condition but I take care of my cars and gear so thats no big deal. If she gets sick of it, I'll take it and we can get her something else. The real fear is that she is in love with the 4 runner and tells me to keep my mitts off it.

I can work on plan B if that happens, but she's not like that so its all good.

Thanks guys. Mark

camodog

Adventurer
Toyota has accomplished something that I thought was near impossible, they have created a vehicle that my wife and I both enjoy albeit for different reasons. We also downsized 2 vehicles into one. I sold both my Truck and Jeep and purchased a '15 Trail Premium.
If Toyota would have put all the creature comforts of a limited into the Trail 4wd system, we would have bought that instead. So Toyota still has a little more work to do in my book. :) Hopefully the Gen 6 will be even better than my Gen 5. fingers crossed

benji5280

up date

Well, to those that mentioned the lack of smarts of using a brand new truck for the missions I mentioned, you are so right. One week into its life with us I managed to back into a fence post. The truck now has a dent and a scrape on the back hatch.. Long suffering GF said she was worried about putting the first scrach on it. She doesn't have to worry any more. It's been done. I will have it fixed but I do feel stupid.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Well, to those that mentioned the lack of smarts of using a brand new truck for the missions I mentioned, you are so right. One week into its life with us I managed to back into a fence post. The truck now has a dent and a scrape on the back hatch.. Long suffering GF said she was worried about putting the first scrach on it. She doesn't have to worry any more. It's been done. I will have it fixed but I do feel stupid.
If it makes you feel any better, I had my 2016 Trail Premium 4Runner for less than 10 days and someone swiped the back corner and tool some paint off, and I got a nice rock chip in the windshield, all within the first 2 weeks of owning the first brand new car I've owned in a long, long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad