The Dirt Sherpa Build

GCecchetto

Adventurer
My family is from Revelstoke but I was actually born down here in the states. I wish it made financial sense for me to retire in BC, but I don't think it does. I'd like to be close though, maybe Port Angeles so I could hop on the ferry to Vancouver Island.

Scoutman

Explorer
What material did you use to skin the roof? I tried to go back in the thread and saw where you referenced Crane composites but never caught the actual material.

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Nice build!!! . . . It looks great and you did a great job! :)

Question:

Where did you buy the windows ??

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words. The only window I had to buy was the front window against the cab, which I bought off Ebay. I called several suppliers and the prices for that tiny window ranged from $365 to $575. I would have to be a complete dumba$$ to spend that kind of money on a window that size. I paid $40 for the window (new) on ebay. The other two windows are the only part left from the original FWC.

CaveRun_KY

Thanks for the kind words. The only window I had to buy was the front window against the cab, which I bought off Ebay. I called several suppliers and the prices for that tiny window ranged from $365 to $575. I would have to be a complete dumba$$ to spend that kind of money on a window that size. I paid $40 for the window (new) on ebay. The other two windows are the only part left from the original FWC.
Thanks for the reply back!

WOW! . . . That much for a small window!

I'll check eBay and see what I can find!

Thanks again!

Nilton J

Adventurer
GCecchetto
KJ6KZH,

Lots of congrats ! Just outstanding & exceptional & phenomenal !!

I am just about to begin a similar build down here in Brazil in a medium size crew cab new S10 2014 chevy truck.

Pls I kindly ask you:

1. why did you use two different materials for insulation (posts 114 and 187)

2. are both fire-resistant?

3. are they regular styrofoam isopor or what?

4. any further details on this "insulation issue" will be appreciated.

73!

Nilton J
PU2NBU

GCecchetto

Adventurer
GCecchetto
KJ6KZH,

Lots of congrats ! Just outstanding & exceptional & phenomenal !!

I am just about to begin a similar build down here in Brazil in a medium size crew cab new S10 2014 chevy truck.

Pls I kindly ask you:

1. why did you use two different materials for insulation (posts 114 and 187)

2. are both fire-resistant?

3. are they regular styrofoam isopor or what?

4. any further details on this "insulation issue" will be appreciated.

73!

Nilton J
PU2NBU

Hi Nilton;

Thanks for the kind words! Well, to tell you the truth, I used the insulation you see in the walls because Crane used it to protect the siding when it was shipped to me and it seemed crazy to just throw it away. It's a fine insulation (or I would not have used it), although the insulation used in the roof is, on paper, superior. The insulation in the roof was selected after some research for it's superior R value and lighter weight, but more importantly in this case, because it was more flexible and thus worked better with the curvature of the roof. Both insulations meet the flame spread requirements for use in residential applications, but neither is technically fire proof. It's very late at night at the present and I can't remember what each product is at the moment so I will have to look in to the makeup of the products for you at a later date. The way I remember it, the pink insulation used in the walls is a formaldehyde free glass fiber product, while the insulation in the roof is a styrofoam product with a reflective foil facing. If I were going out to buy insulation for a new build and didn't have anything around to repurpose as I did with the walls, I would without a second thought use the product I used in the roof.

73's

KJ6KZH

Nilton J

Adventurer
Hi Nilton;

Thanks for the kind words! Well, to tell you the truth, I used the insulation you see in the walls because Crane used it to protect the siding when it was shipped to me and it seemed crazy to just throw it away. It's a fine insulation (or I would not have used it), although the insulation used in the roof is, on paper, superior. The insulation in the roof was selected after some research for it's superior R value and lighter weight, but more importantly in this case, because it was more flexible and thus worked better with the curvature of the roof. Both insulations meet the flame spread requirements for use in residential applications, but neither is technically fire proof. It's very late at night at the present and I can't remember what each product is at the moment so I will have to look in to the makeup of the products for you at a later date. The way I remember it, the pink insulation used in the walls is a formaldehyde free glass fiber product, while the insulation in the roof is a styrofoam product with a reflective foil facing. If I were going out to buy insulation for a new build and didn't have anything around to repurpose as I did with the walls, I would without a second thought use the product I used in the roof.

73's

KJ6KZH

Message well understood. Have a nice weekend up there!!

73's

PU2NBU

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Where did you get all of the LED lights from ??

Those look nice!

Thanks!

Page 22 does have the info on the running lights but not the porch light, but the porch light info is likely in the thread somewhere. I don't remember off the top of my head where I got the porch light but I found it doing a google search for LED RV lighting. It was available amber lens and white frosted lens. I'll look when I have some time, heading out the door to a house concert at the moment.

CaveRun_KY

I asked the same question. See page 22 of this thread.
Thanks!:)
Page 22 does have the info on the running lights but not the porch light, but the porch light info is likely in the thread somewhere. I don't remember off the top of my head where I got the porch light but I found it doing a google search for LED RV lighting. It was available amber lens and white frosted lens. I'll look when I have some time, heading out the door to a house concert at the moment.
Thanks!:)

I went back and found it.

I'll do a Google search and see what I can find.

Thanks again for your time! . . . And I really enjoyed reading your thread! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism