The DrewMobile Wheelchair Van

DjDrewDigital

Observer
I wired the video out from my Droid to a 7" LCD for GPS. I'm running TrekBuddy on my phone for offline topo maps and satellite imagery. That's Silverwood Lake in the background. Combined with Google Maps Navigation it's the ultimate GPS system!

74071_451403929101_698089101_5525587_1232021_n.jpg

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Very cool shots!! I never run over 30 when wheeling anywhere, if I am going to be in sand all day I would drop to about 10 or so in my van.
Derek

Lichen

Explorer
I'd be hesitant with 2WD on some of Baja's beaches. I spent 10 days in the San Quintin area with a 2WD Astro and was constantly getting stuck in deep sand.

picture.php

Last edited:

DjDrewDigital

Observer
Yikes! Yeah I'm going to test the van some more in the soft sand before I go to Baja. I'm going to Anza Borrego soon so I'll see how it does then.

loren85022

Explorer
I rode up and down my vangator to a height of 34" this week at the shop. Still some minor adjustments but it's a slick modification to an existing gator lift. I'll post pics this week.

loren85022

Explorer
I had hoped to be beta-testing the van this week-end but we had to get a new chip (circuit board) from Braun last week for the wheelchair lift. Apparently there's a difference in how the lift is programmed if you dont have the dropped-floor. But the new chip is in an the lift and doors worked really slick at the shop today.

Below is a Vangator lift going up to 34" floor. Not a BFD to most everyone on the planet, but a few of us out there know that the mfg's dont make a unit that will lift over 30", and those next 4" aint to easy to reach with a single-post consumer-grade (ie semi-affordable) van lift. I'll detail the modifications on a new post when it's all said and done.

The passenger seat swivel base is also installed, so I can now be the passenger on any long hauls we do. And the electric-powered sofa-bed is bolted down and ready for the siesta-testing.:sombrero:

IMG_1573.JPG

DjDrewDigital

Observer
I had hoped to be beta-testing the van this week-end but we had to get a new chip (circuit board) from Braun last week for the wheelchair lift. Apparently there's a difference in how the lift is programmed if you dont have the dropped-floor. But the new chip is in an the lift and doors worked really slick at the shop today.

Below is a Vangator lift going up to 34" floor. Not a BFD to most everyone on the planet, but a few of us out there know that the mfg's dont make a unit that will lift over 30", and those next 4" aint to easy to reach with a single-post consumer-grade (ie semi-affordable) van lift. I'll detail the modifications on a new post when it's all said and done.

The passenger seat swivel base is also installed, so I can now be the passenger on any long hauls we do. And the electric-powered sofa-bed is bolted down and ready for the siesta-testing.:sombrero:

View attachment 49865

Nice setup! So does your van have a lowered floor? Did you cut down the pedestal the lift was on?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Nice looking rig.

Cleghorn! Woot! Nice job! Next stop, Deep Creek and Crab Flats!

http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Deep_Creek_Trail

I've done Deep Creek (Dishpan) in 2WD, but I don't know anyone else who's pulled it off. Maybe you'll be the next one to do it. :D (j/k - Don't even think about it until you get 4WD and some more inches on that van. I did it in a Bronco with 35s and a 4" lift and still got high-centered.)

loren85022

Explorer
Nice setup! So does your van have a lowered floor? Did you cut down the pedestal the lift was on?

No, the floor remains factory intact. The lift was bought used, and we learned you must have the shorter of the two platforms. The longer one hits the ceiling when upright. And we learned that the lift electronics isnt one-size-fits all. The original van had a drop-floor, which requires certain circuit board. If you have no drop floor, you need a different board. That certainly seems odd, but the 2nd board definitely makes the lift behave properly.

The lift is done and waiting to roll. I had hoped to place my existing 6-way seat frame in the van too, but nope. Its the same dealeo. It comes from a dropped-floor van and wont work. Had to fork-up another $2,500k for the proper Ford model.

Life rolls on.

loren85022

Explorer
Quigley with Vangator II Wheelchair Lift

Finally !!!! :victory:

I will elaborate on the build and whats involved in getting the Vangator II single-post wheelchair lift to work on a van than requires 34" of lift on a separate post, but here's she is. After 3-months of work, mucho dollars and listening to many 'lift experts' say it cant be done, she's done.

The 2 main reasons I wanted the Gator II was that by having the single post at rear of the dual-doors, I retained swivel and recline function in the passenger seat. The lift also curls up once it reaches the top. This allows people and dogs to use the forward barn door for access. Both of these 'features' I consider all but essential for family road trips. Especially since I come from a mini-van with 2 power side doors.

Already I see some minor downsides to this setup, and the durability of this lift at 34" extension remains to be seen. But she's ready to hit the trails.

Attachments

• Ford Van Mods-0002.jpg
    Ford Van Mods-0002.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 31

DjDrewDigital

Observer
Finally !!!! :victory:

I will elaborate on the build and whats involved in getting the Vangator II single-post wheelchair lift to work on a van than requires 34" of lift on a separate post, but here's she is. After 3-months of work, mucho dollars and listening to many 'lift experts' say it cant be done, she's done.

The 2 main reasons I wanted the Gator II was that by having the single post at rear of the dual-doors, I retained swivel and recline function in the passenger seat. The lift also curls up once it reaches the top. This allows people and dogs to use the forward barn door for access. Both of these 'features' I consider all but essential for family road trips. Especially since I come from a mini-van with 2 power side doors.

Already I see some minor downsides to this setup, and the durability of this lift at 34" extension remains to be seen. But she's ready to hit the trails.

Sweet ride! Awesome job. Yeah the fact that the Gator folds makes a big difference.

I set my lift to not fold for faster deploying/stowing and plus more usable floor space in the middle. I have a toggle switch that folds it when needed.

We should meet up sometime and go wheeling or camping!

loren85022

Explorer
Sweet ride! Awesome job. Yeah the fact that the Gator folds makes a big difference.

I set my lift to not fold for faster deploying/stowing and plus more usable floor space in the middle. I have a toggle switch that folds it when needed.

We should meet up sometime and go wheeling or camping!

Thats very interesting you mention the non-fold option. I definitely want to explore that for the exact reason you mention about usable space.

That would be great to meet up. Perhaps your coming to the
http://www.overlandexpo.com​
??

DjDrewDigital

Observer
Thats very interesting you mention the non-fold option. I definitely want to explore that for the exact reason you mention about usable space.

That would be great to meet up. Perhaps your coming to the
http://www.overlandexpo.com​
??

There's a switch on the mainboard that toggles the fold/unfold function. Take a look at page 11 of this manual: http://handifloor.com/Downloads/VangaterOperator.pdf

Then there's some pins that a toggle switch can be plugged into to manually fold the lift. I can check my lift and see what pins and let you know if you want.

That Overland Expo looks fun! But not sure if I can make it out then. I want to do the White Rim trail in April or May...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad