the easy way to sleep in a tj

bandit455

so here ya go guys, I finally figured out a way to string my standard length hammock in my tj, allowing me to sleep in it at night.

115_0699.jpg

this gave me 6 feet of hammock length which is perfect for me. I was also pleasantly surprised that I fit between my fixed back suspension seats, which prevent most other methods from working.

bandit455

5'7" and about 125, so its not meant for the large/tall, theres about 6' of usable hammock there so its not exactly a luxurious sleeping space

and the gf will sleep with me haha, it will be a good time. but most of the time its just me on the weekend trips, so this will work perfect, plus if it's nice outside, I'll probably set the hammock up out side like I typically do.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
So do you have a youtube video of getting in and out of that? Because that looks like probably the hardest part of sleeping in it. And what if you all of a sudden have to make a run for the toilet in the middle of the night after having too much tamales for dinner and you get stuck inside the TJ? That would be a funny youtube video.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Dude. Save up for a month or two.

Go to REI.com.

Next, buy yourself a nice two person all-weather tent, Big Agnes sleeping pad, and a nice 0, or 20 degree bag.

It's gonna run you about $300-500, but they are very tough and pack very small. Very well suited to the amount of usable storage in your TJ...

You could even wait for their used gear sale. We've found some GREAT stuff that was very lightly used.

And then please stop with the goofy hammock setup...:)...Nothin' like snuggling for warmth with your girl in a quality tent/bag.

cheers,
Brian

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
If you want a near new REI tent for cheap, let me know. Much better than sleeping in a hammock in your jeep. If it's tight for you now, no way will you fit your girlfriend in there either. Also, if you do make her sleep in that hammock, she might not be your girlfriend for long.

I had to buy 16x16 tri room tent to appease my girlfriend and all her stuff. A hammock? She'd just laugh...

-Sam

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Or you could buy the Easi-awn that used to be mounted on top of my TJ . . .

(see for-sale section)

Toolman

Explorer
Dude. Save up for a month or two.

Go to REI.com.

Next, buy yourself a nice two person all-weather tent, Big Agnes sleeping pad, and a nice 0, or 20 degree bag.

It's gonna run you about $300-500, but they are very tough and pack very small. Very well suited to the amount of usable storage in your TJ...

You could even wait for their used gear sale. We've found some GREAT stuff that was very lightly used.

And then please stop with the goofy hammock setup...:)...Nothin' like snuggling for warmth with your girl in a quality tent/bag.

cheers,
Brian

did you know REI donates money to the causes trying to shut 4 wheelin down ?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
did you know REI donates money to the causes trying to shut 4 wheelin down ?

Yup.

I also know that 4wheelers, left unchecked, dirtied the rubicon enough that they had to close it to clean up the truckloads of trash and fecal matter...

Remember that?

I support a balanced approach to land management and keep listening to BOTH sides, since they both make good points.

I'll continue to ignore and fight against close-minded legislation, however.

Thanks for asking, sir!

Back on topic. Love to see pics of you and your girl in your hammock OP.

K2ZJ

Explorer
I support a balanced approach to land management and keep listening to BOTH sides, since they both make good points.

I'll continue to ignore and fight against close-minded legislation, however.

By supporting REI you support ONE side, who would have you walk EVERYWHERE, let alone keep off one trail in CA. I understand balanced but who they support is surely not balanced.
/rant

Back on topic, I am 6'2" and that looks like a nightmare more than an option. Very clever for your height for sure. I don't own an XJ simply based on leg room, let alone a wrangler. They sure don't make cars for the extreme ends of the height spectrum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__