The ExPo Mountain Bike Photo Thread

Man, I started mountain biking on BMX's, and after a few years hiatus, a BMX got me back into the woods. I used to get strange looks waaaay back on the more hardcore MTB trails. Happy childhood memories of stripped-down freestyle bikes with MX tires and just the rear brake, going back on the ATV and game trails, having campfires, finding abandoned things, exploring and getting dirty. Camping with BMX's is fun, as well. Never know what's around to ride.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Snow level 8000' my ***

Attachments

• IMG_20150130_095124_152.jpg
    IMG_20150130_095124_152.jpg
    591.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Snow level 8000' my ***
Ya, whatta rip off! Then again, today I rode in short sleeves and shorts and believe it or not...broke a sweat. This is a bizarre year. I'm headed to the BCT next week to ride and even mid Feb think it might be...."hot." What the hell?

Glenn C

Observer
Broke my ankle in November been off the giant since, today did a small 6km loop of a local park, first proper ride and I really enjoyed it

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Snow!

Took me 1200 miles of road tripping to find it but it was sweet:ylsmoke:

Attachments

• IMG_1333 2.jpg
    IMG_1333 2.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 29

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Steamboat singletrack

I'm trying the reverse snowbird this year...winter'ing in CO...returning to AZ in the spring:coffeedrink:

The slapped together 1x10 was kicking my butt with all the climbing...running a 32x36 low and need that wolftooth mega cog in 40 or 42...:bike_rider:

Attachments

• IMG_20150207_084945_321.jpg
    IMG_20150207_084945_321.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20150209_094324_135.jpg
    IMG_20150209_094324_135.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20150209_094402_166.jpg
    IMG_20150209_094402_166.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 24

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
NICE ^^^^^ have fun out in Rabbit Ear Pass!!!!

BTW:
I have different feelings on the giant cog after using it for over a year. I have never had a front derailleur on my bike. I went from single speed (28x18) to dingle speed (28 x 21 or 23) to 1x10 (32x 12-42).

The progression of the 1x10 went with an XT long cage rear mech shadow without the + and an XTR shifter. This worked well for me but the higher gears (small cogs) shifting suffered as the chain wrap was not ideal with the b screw turned in all the way to clear the giant cog in the low gear. The shifting was working great in the lower gears.

I just put a saint shadow + with the one up Radr cage on with the XTR shifter and a new chain (KMC x10SL) and the shifting in all gears is crisp and smooth. The Saint with the Radr did not require the b-screw to be maxed out. It sits up high and out of the way also. Now here is how I really feel. Building my bike up from a frame I purchased the XT cassette, Wolftooth giant cog, XTR shifter, XT derailleur, Saint derailleur, 2 KMC x10sl chains and a One Up Radr cage.

I was close to spending what a SRAM 1x10 costs. I have never used SRAM but I've heard peps like the stuff.

I'll post up my one picture of the Homer Big Fat Bike Fest before my camara battery froze.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Good to know thanks...

I just put the 1x11 on my trail bike and am loving it...

I did the 1x10 "swap" on my Beargrease a couple weeks back after a long muddy ride fouled my FD...race face narrow wide ring and a KMC chain and 15 minutes later...1x

For most of my riding here in Flagstaff it works fine. Long grinds are still ok...it is the .5km steep stuff that I could use a bit more gear especially in the snow where I find my tires have problems hooking up (temps were well into the 40s in CO)...will probably go with a 30t front ring first since it is cheaper:)

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I run a 30T Wolf front and 40T GC Wolf with XT cranks, cassette and RD. Not sure I would do so on a heavier trail bike but I run a steel hardtail 29'er and it's fine. No experience with a fat bike so not sure if that would be a knee buster or not.

A couple of bike photos from my trip though the Barrancas del Cobre in Chihuahua, Mexico.

An absolutely beautiful place with a bone jarring multi-hour decent to the bottom and a grueling multi-day climb back to the top.

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
Finally got myself a bike. Raced bmx for years but never got into the mtn bike thing. Picked up this mint Kona five-O this week and couldn't be happier. This will be my do everything rig

IMG_20150218_201524581_zpsa1z9l0rk.jpg

Two-Wheeled Explorer

Proceeding on...
Iconic Minnesota scene: Cogburn CB4 and Split Rock Lighthouse on the North Shore of Lake Superior. Took a few days off last weekend to get away, ride the fat bike and snowshoe where there is actually MinneSNOWta snow this year. When it starts warming up, the Cogburn will transform into a mighty overlander bike for an expedition across the western Adirondack Mountains where I grew to love the backcountry. Stay tuned!

SplitRockCB4.jpg

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Iconic Minnesota scene: Cogburn CB4 and Split Rock Lighthouse on the North Shore of Lake Superior. Took a few days off last weekend to get away, ride the fat bike and snowshoe where there is actually MinneSNOWta snow this year. When it starts warming up, the Cogburn will transform into a mighty overlander bike for an expedition across the western Adirondack Mountains where I grew to love the backcountry. Stay tuned!

View attachment 273114
More please!!!! Many great days were spent up on the north shore of Gitche Gumee when I was young.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater