The Family Daily Driver ExPo Rig Thread!

Best Daily Driver and Family ExPo Rig

• Small Truck (Tacoma)

Votes: 39 9.0%
  • Big Truck (full size)

Votes: 75 17.4%
  • Small SUV (Jeep/FJ)

Votes: 47 10.9%
  • Mid-size SUV (Land Cruiser/Land Rover/4Runner)

Votes: 185 42.9%
  • Massive SUV (Suburban/Camper Van)

Votes: 55 12.8%
  • Minivan (kill me now!)

Votes: 18 4.2%
  • A car and good hiking and camping gear. Don't be a wuss!

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • OTHER

Votes: 7 1.6%

• Total voters

1sweetvan

Adventurer
Ford E350. 12 or 15 passenger, It does just about everything very well. A true SUV and they depreciate like crazy so they are an excellent value when bought a few years old . Gas or Diesel, they will go 100's of 1000's of miles needing very little.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
we are quite partial to the Lexus GX470. The mileage is good when you don't have MT's on it. it seats 7 comfortably (or 6 with the fridge in). Tows a good deal of weight and is quite comfortable for DD work.

We have an ARB Sahara bar on the way for it as well as a winch and suspension. it should really wake it up.

They can be had for a decent price used especially now that there is a new model.

Toyotero

Explorer
I voted Tacoma because of the doublecab... it's all the specs of the extended cab (wheelbase, bumpertobumper length, ~fuel economy, etc) but with 4 doors.

Regarding it being best for a fam, my opinion is theoretical since currently the mrs and I are still just the 2 of us... but I feel that the honey moon may be over soon...

P3230164.JPG

PWP

GX gets this newbie's vote as well. In fact, we'll start a little mini-expedition tomorrow that should include some time on the beach at Ft. Fisher.

I also have a Tacoma Double Cab (for sale), but it comes nowhere close to the GX for a family "expo" vehicle. . .

TerryD

Adventurer
We just bought a 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500 in January. Seats 9 with plenty of cargo space. It has the 5.7L/Auto and the "Automatic" 4wd transfer case.

Pros:
Leather everything
Power everything
Full Class III towing capacity
LWB make it stable on slippery roads and with a trailer behind it
Seats 9 with 3rd row
Take out 3rd row and you have a crew cab short bed truck
Lay down 2nd row and you almost have a standard cab long bed truck
Lots of aftermarket support for parts/upgrades
Ours has factory dual battery setup
Factory external transmission cooler
Barn doors for easy access and no need to replace gas-supports on hatch
A/C that will freeze you
Heat that will melt you

Cons:
Leather everything
Power everything
Not the easiest thing I've ever had in a parking lot
16MPG

Overall: We love it. Driving home I was asking myself why we didn't have 2 of them! Being a 99 it needs some work, shocks and the like, but I'm fine with working on one vs paying 3-4 times what we paid for ours for a newer one. It handles very good and with the rear sway-bar is stable on the highway. I've yet to pull a trailer with it, but that's mainly due to not having tires on it rated for any kind of load and not as of yet putting the trailer lights and brake controller on it. The kids love it because they can see out of it better than the 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee it replaced (lost in an accident).

We've taken a trip to Gatlinburg, Tn in it with the kids (2 till August, then the 3rd will finally be here) and it got over 16mpg and used less than one tank of fuel (42 us-gal tank). That was about a 4hr trip to get there. It also hauled our family + mom, dad, and granny on a day trip to Greensboro, NC (2 hr one way) and no one complained about being cramped, even my 60 y/o Dad riding in the 3rd row with my 55 y/o Mom and my 4 y/o Daughter in her car seat said it was comfortable. :Wow1:

We've used the 4wd a few times exploring potential property purchases as we are currently house hunting for a place closer to where I work. Another nice thing about a 12y/o vehicle is not being very worried about minor scratches and scuffs from branches/brush. On snowy-two-tracks it's always been a tank (weight helps!) and never even slipped a tire. With a little bit of torsion bar cranking, a 3/4 ton spring "weaving", a SF 14 bolt rear axle from a light duty K2500, and some 285/75R16 A/Ts I think it'll be perfect for a weekend warrior and DD for the old lady.

Sorry for being long winded, but I just wanted to be thorough with my vote.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Why is a midsized 4 door truck not an option on the poll? Like a Dodge Dakota or Toyota Tundra. They would both be good vehicles.

fifthcircle

Adventurer
Why is a midsized 4 door truck not an option on the poll? Like a Dodge Dakota or Toyota Tundra. They would both be good vehicles.

Dakota is a "small truck", Tundra is a "big truck".
A Dakota is not any bigger than a Tacoma.....
The older Tundra is a bit smaller than a full size, as is the T-100....
I had to draw the line somewhere on the poll. ;)

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

jim65wagon

Yeah, but since you can lay a 4x8 sheet of drywall down between the wheelwells the Tundra qualifies as a fullsize......

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Oh trust me we've gone through many vehicles trying to find one that matches our lifestyle and our family. Think we finally found it. :)

IMG_4776.jpg

fifthcircle

Adventurer
Oh trust me we've gone through many vehicles trying to find one that matches our lifestyle and our family. Think we finally found it. :)

IMG_4776.jpg

80 series, NICE!!! I am in love with those, but still shy on actually pulling the trigger. Maybe someday :)

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

ACFaulk

SE Expedition Society
I'm a jeep guy (04 TJ) but my Bro - In - Law has an 80 and I love it. It pulls like a tractor. For an expedition rig that 80 is awesome. I love my Jeep but storage will always be its downfall, not to mention having the ability to sleep in the truck if you have too...having that ability would be nice when the weather is really bad. (besides the driver seat that is :)

BPMOU

Observer
I chose the the large SUV from the options. I have had an 80 series, sold it a couple of years back (wish I still had it). It worked well, but know that I have two little girls, 3.5 and 2 weeks old, I don't know if I would have been any better with an 80 than I am in our family car, which is to small for the four of us.

I really like the 80 series, but I am 6'2", and with two carseats and the driver seat back all the way it's a tight fit.

I am now looking for a 96-99 Suburban to haul the girls, the dogs and everything else in between. The biggest difference is that the suburbans are made for us fat ***** Americans. In my case, I appreciate that as the extra space is really needed.

CCH

Adventurer
I did not vote. Circumstances simply vary WAY too much to make an easy call. I say that having tried pretty much everything but the minivan option. These are just since we had kids and listed in chronological order:

FULL SIZE TRUCK 1/2 ton Chevy Extended Cab: Great truck, suicide doors sucked but we could fit five (only have two kids but could only bring one of their friends which was a drag). It towed great and was a passable off road vehicle. Dogs and gear road in back. Had a cap with rack. Just about perfect for our camping using a pop-up camper. Equally great option for tent camping. Tough to beat a full size truck for cargo.

JUST GET A CAR Subaru Outback: With a cargo rack or roof box and camping more along the lines of backpacking, this bullet proof car can get me into a whole lot of Colorado, especially in the summer time. Not a true off-roading machine but surprisingly capable. Only room for five and if you bring pets along as well, you'd best pack lightly. Bought it new in 2005 and plan to give it to my son in two years to run through high school and beyond. Has required nothing but routine maintenance and pushing 100k.

MID-SIZED SUV Xterra: Liked it as a daily driver but again, only room for five. Great off-road but not super roomy. MPG no better than a full-sized truck. The Subaru hauls almost as much gear. Decent for towing a small trailer.

FULL-SIZED SUV: We want it all and we want it now. No more size compromise. 2009 Suburban with seating for eight. Kids can finally each bring a friend! Hooray! Comfy ride, ours was not at all built for off-road (running boards, low plastic air dam on front bumper) but could do modest stretches. Downside, despite being a full-sized vehicle there are limits to its towing capability particularly in mountainous terrain. Our latest camper exceeds them which brings us to the current family adventure vehicle:

HEAVY DUTY FULL-SIZED TRUCK: Dodge 2500 CTD Crew Cab, Short bed. Room for six (they can still each bring a friend). Lots of cargo room -- it's sure nice having that truck bed again. More than adequate towing in the mountains. Not the greatest daily driver due to size and mpg but ride is nice enough. Should be long-lived. Kind of a pig off-road but high durability factor.

The point is that the bullseye is always moving when it comes to these things. Families grow, interests change, "needs" change. It is really hard to pick that vehicle that will do it all. Thought I did a couple of times but I was wrong. If push came to shove, I would say that one of the current half ton crew cab full sized trucks would offer the best compromise and least danger of out growing.

daPitbull

Adventurer
For me and my family, our 4runner is serving us well. It's my DD (although I mostly bike or take public transportation for work) and works great for pulling our tentrax trailer. We have a 20month old and a little girl on the way (due 11/28), plus two 70lbs dogs. We can fit most all the camping stuff in the tentrax, and I'm saving up to get a baja rack to throw more stuff on the roof.

2008 4runner SR5 4.7V8, 3" OW/Radflo lift, locked, armor
IMG1121-L.jpg

IMG0951-L.jpg

IMG0988-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach