The Family Trailmobile

07longbed

The Family Trailmobile (fixed all the images, check it out!)

I've been lurking here for a long time- You may notice I copied some installs of different things others have done (thanks for the ideas team!) -here are some pics. Enjoy!
recent042-.jpg

recent038-.jpg

tacoma002-.jpg

tacoma004-.jpg

tacoma005-.jpg

tacoma007-.jpg

tacoma010-.jpg

tacoma018-.jpg

tacoma014-.jpg

recent025-.jpg

Last edited:

corax

Explorer
x2 on the details, like the prop rod to hold the lid open
attachment.php

BTW, how huge does the inverter have to be to run an electric chainsaw?

07longbed

Thanks for the compliments- as for upcoming plans, I'd like to build a roll cage looking thing in the shell to help support weight on the rack without spreading the body panels apart at the tailgate. I want to raise the 5100s in the front up a click from .85 to 1.75, and I need to finish the laptop mount/12V outlets/120V outlets at the passenger seat area.
Yeah the lid prop I made after noticing when I take a corner/bump with it open it'll swing down on it's own. The inverter is a cheapo coleman 1200 watt, the saw says 9 amps or so @ 120v, it probably peaks around 11A because I measured it peaking 120A @ 12V while cutting a small tree down in my yard (testing :) ). It actually works great! I left the two batteries isolated and one odyssey 1200 was able to run the saw intermittent for the whole tree cutting process (all limbs cut up, etc). My household coffee maker draws 80A @ 12V, but since it's a constant load I leave the truck running for that which also means 2 X PC1200...
I'm new to the forum posting and can't figure out how to attach pictures and have them show up in the thread instead of as attachments- maybe they are too big? I'm also not sure how to make them smaller if that is what I need to do! :D

recent029-.jpg

recent032-.jpg

recent033-.jpg

Last edited:
I use the same chepo inverter when the power goes out at home to run the fridge and make coffee in the morning! I just hook it to the truck battery and run a extention cord in the house.

roamingaz

Explorer
Wow! very nice :drool:

upload your pictures to photobucket and then copy/paste the code, that will reduce the size etc.

87FoRunner

Adventurer
Several cool mods. I like where you put the compressor.

Few questions:

How do you like the bags in the rear? Have you "needed" them yet? I was thinking of doing that to my Taco at some point for when I carry more junk in the trunk.

How is the CB in the Center console?

How much was the electrical junction box (i guess that's what its called) that you have under the hood.

BTW, thanks for reminding me I forgot to add a first aid kit. :coffeedrink:

07longbed

I use the same chepo inverter when the power goes out at home to run the fridge and make coffee in the morning! I just hook it to the truck battery and run a extention cord in the house.
Yeah for being the cheapest inverter I could find at the time, it seems to work great- built in cooling fan and it doesn't get hot!
attachment.php

Is this similar to an Oasis air compressor?
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5KA88
It is expensive because it's commercial grade, made to run non-stop for years! I got it out of an ambulance- it was running the airbag setup. This has no where near the CFM of an Oasis, but the price was right! They can be had on ebay occasionally.
Wow! very nice :drool:

upload your pictures to photobucket and then copy/paste the code, that will reduce the size etc.

Thanks! I'll try this!

Several cool mods. I like where you put the compressor.

Few questions:

How do you like the bags in the rear? Have you "needed" them yet? I was thinking of doing that to my Taco at some point for when I carry more junk in the trunk.

How is the CB in the Center console?

How much was the electrical junction box (i guess that's what its called) that you have under the hood.

BTW, thanks for reminding me I forgot to add a first aid kit. :coffeedrink:
The bags are great, yeah I needed them bad- with the gear and a 4 person family in the truck it'd bottom out bad on the freeway and on trails. I have them set up the simple way with the valve for each one next to the license plate on the rear bumper. This way it seems to really help with the load while cornering (kinda like adding a rear sway bar). I might put a ball valve I can open to link both sides together for more articulation off road.
I had the CB stuck to the coin tray (driver's left leg) at first but decided for how much I actually use it I might as well hide it. The cab is getting cluttered. When a couple vehicles are following each other the squelch can be turned up and the lid closed with the mic cord just coming out the front of the console. I actually use the scanner way more (scan CHP in the 'private' bank) while on the highway and also like it in there. The two external speakers are under the driver's seat pointing toward the pedals.
The 'substation' :D with all the big solenoids and breakers I made and are linked with aluminum bus bars to save space. It would have been twice as big if I had used wire jumpers. If you were referring to the Bussman fuse block, it was bought at waytek and is model 46077 about $30. The mounting brackets are seperate. It is sweet because it has one whole side constant 12V and the other side is switched 12V.

Nice rig, Welcome to ExPO!

Thanks!

CYi5

Explorer
I couldn't tell where your inverter was mounted (i'm assuming behind a seat), but I'm wanting to put one behind my rear passenger seat, and it seems like too long of a run for some 0 ga. cable...Do you think i'd be ok splitting the lead that goes to my amp and continue it back to the inverter? (I could put a switch to shut the amp off when using the inverter..) Just worried about the distance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3