The Family Trailmobile

07longbed

Thanks! A couple more... Here is the substation, fuse block, gauges (autometer), water temp sender and one with the relays. One relay is controlled by the trans temp gauge itself and turns on a Hayden Dawg cooler/fan and the other relay turns on the hella driving lights.
tacoma032s-.jpg

tacoma036s-.jpg

tacoma034s-.jpg

tacoma035s-.jpg

tacoma040s-.jpg

tacoma030s-.jpg

recent008.jpg

Last edited:

07longbed

I couldn't tell where your inverter was mounted (i'm assuming behind a seat), but I'm wanting to put one behind my rear passenger seat, and it seems like too long of a run for some 0 ga. cable...Do you think i'd be ok splitting the lead that goes to my amp and continue it back to the inverter? (I could put a switch to shut the amp off when using the inverter..) Just worried about the distance.

The inverter is behind the rear seat drivers side. It's always jacked running big wire a long way but it's what I did. The compressor has a 4 awg and the inverter has a 4 awg and they share a 2 awg ground straight back to the batteries. I'd just split it if it was mine and just don't pound the woofers while using the inverter. My 4 awg cable barely gets warm with what I've done with it so far. Your 0 awg should be fine depending on the loads you plan on putting on it. Be careful with the routing- I use grommets, split loom, etc. to protect the cables.

07longbed

Very nice truck. What airbags did you use on the rear? How do you like the airbags so far?

They are Firestone Ride Rite- the kit isn't perfect, but it's ok. I have the leaf spring TSB done, so with 4 leaves instead of the stock 3, the brackets needed to be modified. The mounting bolts from brackets to the leafs are waaaaay too long. They ride awesome though, totally glad I got them on! I thought they might ride too bouncy but they don't too bad with the 5100 shocks.

CYi5

Explorer
The inverter is behind the rear seat drivers side. It's always jacked running big wire a long way but it's what I did. The compressor has a 4 awg and the inverter has a 4 awg and they share a 2 awg ground straight back to the batteries. I'd just split it if it was mine and just don't pound the woofers while using the inverter. My 4 awg cable barely gets warm with what I've done with it so far. Your 0 awg should be fine depending on the loads you plan on putting on it. Be careful with the routing- I use grommets, split loom, etc. to protect the cables.

Thanks for the recommendation. I may just do the split and watch the temperature of the cable. It'd just be running a laptop anyways...I never thought of the electric chainsaw!

07longbed

Nice build man! I'd like to see more pics and specs on the air compressor and dual battery install. They look nice!

The air compressor is made by Gast, more of a commercial unit. It has a pressure switch that goes on at 85 and off at 105 I believe. The 'relay' that runs the power to the compressor is a 200A rated (silver contacts) continuous rated solenoid, fed by a 100A breaker. The air tank (cheapo for airhorns from ebay) is between 1 and 2 gallon and hangs under the cubby in the bed on the driver's side. The air line is dot with push-on fittings and is 3/8" dia. The air compressor rattles a bit since it's mounted to the plastic bin behind the seat- I might run some self tappers through it all to hold it tight to the back wall of the cab.
The batteries are Odyssey PC1200LMJT- Got the "L" for left positive so with my arrangement I didn't have to move/splice the positive lead at all. I made a frame for the two out of 1/8" angle iron and used riv-nuts like the ones that come with weather guard boxes (a dealer who sells weather guard boxes will have a ton of these laying around and the little install tools too)- 5/16" flat head screws hold the battery box in place. Another one of the 200A continuous rated solenoids connect the two batteries. The switch on the dash labeled BAT runs the dual battery circuit the same as a painless wiring dual battery kit. The dual bat gauge is from Kussmaul- they make electronic stuff for fire engines and police cars mostly.
recent007.jpg

recent035.jpg

tacoma016.jpg

tacoma033s.jpg

tacoma031s.jpg

Last edited:
The air compressor is made by Gast, more of a commercial unit. It has a pressure switch that goes on at 85 and off at 105 I believe. The 'relay' that runs the power to the compressor is a 200A rated (silver contacts) continuous rated solenoid, fed by a 100A breaker. The air tank (cheapo for airhorns from ebay) is between 1 and 2 gallon and hangs under the cubby in the bed on the driver's side. The air line is dot with push-on fittings and is 3/8" dia. The air compressor rattles a bit since it's mounted to the plastic bin behind the seat- I might run some self tappers through it all to hold it tight to the back wall of the cab.
The batteries are Odyssey PC1200LMJT- Got the "L" for left positive so with my arrangement I didn't have to move/splice the positive lead at all. I made a frame for the two out of 1/8" angle iron and used riv-nuts like the ones that come with weather guard boxes (a dealer who sells weather guard boxes will have a ton of these laying around and the little install tools too)- 5/16" flat head screws hold the battery box in place. Another one of the 200A continuous rated solenoids connect the two batteries. The switch on the dash labeled BAT runs the dual battery circuit the same as a painless wiring dual battery kit. The dual bat gauge is from Kussmaul- they make electronic stuff for fire engines and police cars mostly. Since I haven't mastered the posting pics thing yet still, I'll just attach some pics again!:smilies27

Thanks a ton! Quality work for sure. I look forward to being able to install a dual battery system and yours is by far the cleanest, most compact setup I've seen. Props!

sirwillm

Sweet build-out. There seems to be almost everything there that I have been wanting to do with my rig. Can you tell us more about your winch setup? It that a hitch reciever mount?

07longbed

Curious... what is the capacitor for across the relay signal and ground? Provides some sort of delay function?

It's a diode to keep the reverse voltage spike from the magnetic field collapsing (when the coil is de-energized) from doing any damage to the truck's electronics. It just drains off the voltage basically.

07longbed

Sweet build-out. There seems to be almost everything there that I have been wanting to do with my rig. Can you tell us more about your winch setup? It that a hitch reciever mount?

Yeah it is a receiver on the front I made. I wanted the winch to be able to be removed when I'm in town. The front receivers you can buy like from curt mfg hang down way too far. I like the way it turned out- tucked up tight against the truck. I'll have to get some pics of the winch off of the truck so you can see the light mounting and stuff... here is what I have now...
IMG_1964.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1970.jpg

Last edited:

sirwillm

Very Nice! It looks like it was a pretty straight forward install. You wouldn't happen to have a diagram with dimensions would you? That is such a clean install and it looks rock solid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl