The First Gen Pickup/Hilux (79-83) Thread

My first Toyota 4x4
View attachment 213276

it's an '82 - After a friend rolled it, many of the parts went onto an '80 bought to replace the truck. Sold that truck as the family got bigger.

I had those same wheels on my 82 short bed, and it was blue. I miss that little truck, simple, reliable, economical and went everywhere I pointed it. I wish Toyota still made a 4x4 pickup that followed the original 4x4 mini truck concept.

Sempertoy

Explorer
I really hope I like my BFG A/Ts. I'm worried that I won't and will have to take a hit to get some better tires.

What are you hoping to use the truck for? If it's mostly street with occasional/ light off-roading the AT's will be great. If it's anything more than that they might leave you wishing for more. My favorite set of tires were 33x10.50 km2's on my tacoma.
I think duratracs would be another great contender for this little pickup. I am using the BFG's mainly as a "time piece" appropriate tire. I may still change and go with the falken wild peaks. Decisions decisions......

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
What are you hoping to use the truck for? If it's mostly street with occasional/ light off-roading the AT's will be great. If it's anything more than that they might leave you wishing for more. My favorite set of tires were 33x10.50 km2's on my tacoma.
I think duratracs would be another great contender for this little pickup. I am using the BFG's mainly as a "time piece" appropriate tire. I may still change and go with the falken wild peaks. Decisions decisions......

It's 90% street, but most of our trails here in Alabama are a muddy type hilly terrain. I'm sure they will be fine at first because anything will have to be better than what I have now, but I know I'll be wanting more eventually. Probably a KM2 because that's what I wanted in the first place, but I got a good deal on the A/T so I picked them up.

Derek24

Explorer
Came across these tires at the truck show I went to last weekend. I always liked the super Swamper Iroks, but never bought them because they only came in bias ply or radials, but smallest size being 35s. These are Iroks ND, non directional. You can get them in smaller sizes. The reviews have been pretty good too. Also they looks mean! These will be my next tires. I can get these in size 31x10.5x15 for $112 per tire! Can't pass that price up!

image.jpg

Sempertoy

Explorer
Came across these tires at the truck show I went to last weekend. I always liked the super Swamper Iroks, but never bought them because they only came in bias ply or radials, but smallest size being 35s. These are Iroks ND, non directional. You can get them in smaller sizes. The reviews have been pretty good too. Also they looks mean! These will be my next tires. I can get these in size 31x10.5x15 for $112 per tire! Can't pass that price up!

View attachment 213374

Is that price through the website?

Derek24

Explorer
Is that price through the website?

4Wheel parts website. They are having an instant $50 off thing. Comes out to around $421 for all four, which is cheap! I was looking at getting the KM2. Cheapest I found those were on Tirerack for $189 a piece, same size. For a little, light truck as ours, all tires will preform and last about the same IMO.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I really want 34x10.50x17's for my 1st gen. However, the only ones I have been able to find are the bias ply Super Swampers. If they came in radial, I'd get them. Anybody know of any other 34's in that size that come in radials?

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
I want the Skinny Swampers in 34x9.5x15s..

image.jpg

Hard to find a price on them though. Anyone see if they kind find one?

Edit: They're $250 a piece! :Wow1:

thefatkid

Observer
That'll be my exact set up in another month or two. 2" OME up front, AAL rear (for now), 4.88s, and 33x10.5 BFG A/Ts. My rear springs aren't worn so hopefully it'll be about even. My front sits slightly lower right now.

How well does the front flex? More pictures? :sombrero:

Here is a basic side shot of the current lift. The OME kit sits closer to 3". Without any load it is kinda stiff. Flex is average for any non "rockcrawler" suspension. This trucks is an all-around truck so I don't need flex. It has some sleeper mods to help it get over stuff without flex (e-locker front and rear).

thefatkid

Observer
I want the Skinny Swampers in 34x9.5x15s..

Hard to find a price on them though. Anyone see if they kind find one?

Edit: They're $250 a piece! :Wow1:

$250 is expensive. I was looking for a tire in the 33x9.5 range. I might be stuck going with 255s. I didn't really want 16" wheels though.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Ladies and gentlemen, alas my first gen purchase last night was not to be....

I went and looked at the truck. It's rough. Can it be saved? Absolutely, depending on how deep ones pockets are. Floor boards were rusted through, T-case was leaking something fierce, both diffs were caked in fluid, locking hubs were disgusting. Bed had one rusted through hole and it looked like the tail gate had been pushed in while open if you can picture that. Despite all that, I still offered the guy $1,900 which in hindsight I am glad he didn't take. I guess I was caught up in the excitement of buying a new vehicle. With all that being said, I think I am going to sell my 80 series. It's been a dream of a vehicle but it breaks my heart to just watch it sit in the back yard now that I'm commuting 50 miles a day. The real world has been tough... Lot's of adjustments but that is probably the saddest one. I no longer live on base, my commute isn't 1.5 miles a day and now with school and bills and everything else I just can't justify having it. If it sells I will be looking to replace it with a nice first gen and have some $$$ in my pockets. Stay tuned. / sob story.

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
Sounds like it would have been a lot of work. Why not buy a small commuter vehicle and keep the Cruiser for the offroad adventures? These first gens don't get that great of gas mileage, granted it is better than a Cruiser but not great unless they're in prestine mechanical shape then it's only like 21. Then add tires and weight it down with upgrades and it drops fast because of these weak 4cyls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater