The Frankenstein Build: 1996 Tacoma Long Travel/Expo/Trail Rig

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Picked up some small ammo cans and jerry cans. I still have and use the ammo cans. The jerry cans, not so much. they were junk.

Used one can for a med kit and the other for stuff like my CO2 hose, winch control and stuff.

Speaking of Co2, i got this sweet 20lb Co2 setup as well. Man i love this thing.

Wiring! I put the bussman in the back of the cab. As i had power run back there already for my huge stereo. The Hellas pulled too much power though so they went on their own relay.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
I also solved my camp light issue. I came up with new brackets and decided that the lights would just strap to the bed rack via QuickFists and could be used as rear side lights when not screwed into the bed rail. Worked!

My Dads custom made AEM filter came in and we installed it and put the shield on. We extended the shield later to cover the whole filter.

He also set about extending his Cobra 29LTD face plate with Cat5 cable. Took him a long *** time.

And i prepped for adding a 140amp alternator and second battery to cope with this massive amount of light.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
And now, the moment you've all been waiting for...

night shots

Here we go, all of these where shot with a camera on a tripod from the same spot. About 400 yards away.

Low Beams

High Beams

High Beams and PIAA 510s

High Beams, Piaa 510s, and Mirror Lights

High Beams, 510s, Mirrors, and LF240s

High beams, 510s, Mirrors, LF240s, Hella 500 HIDs

Highs, 510s, mirrors, LF240s, Hellas, 21s LED bars

Highs, 510s, mirrors, LF240s, Hellas, 21s, Camp/rear fill LEDS

Yea...its pretty crazy. But i love it. Never afraid to wheel in the dark again! This pays off in the spring BIG time. But you'll have to wait for that story.

There. That was a good update! Eat your hearts out!

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Keep this momentum going!

I added some lights to my RTT. Making it possible to be totally flash light free!

Added a BPV bracket from BAMF. Thing is 1/4'' thick haha helped a lot with the brake feel though.

The alternator swap was next. After a bunch of research on here and TTORA i went with a reman CS144 GM alt. Supposed to put out about 100-110amps at idle. A massive increase vs the stock total output of 80amps. I didn't do a HO stock rewound alternator as those do not perform well at idle. Which to me is much more important.

It bolts right in and i used a trailer harness to attach it to the stock wiring harness and one to the stock alt to carry as a spare.

in between projects, We finally ran my old body up to the recyclers. Sad to see it go.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
I then took my BAMF Diff skid and fixed it. I won it for free at Moab that summer but it was warped, hence why Jerry gave it a way. He said a hammer hit or too would straighten out the from mounts but that didn't happen. 1/4'' steel doesn't like to bend. So i just cut it and smacked it and welded it.

I then finished the camp light mounts. And went camping!

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Next was the addition of a winch. Its an XRC8 8000lb winch. Id like to upgrade to a 10k winch though at some point. But Jon, my good TW buddy, gave it too me for a hell of a deal and he had rebuilt it with nice grease. Hard to pass up! He came over to help install it. We put the solenoid in the bumper next to the winch and moved the plug for the winch control into the cab.

While he was there, i had him help me put on my new 2000lb latch for the rear bumper. The U bolt had been bent on this one for some time now. This latch has held up great though. Always get the 2000lb latch!

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
I bought some BOMB Proof engine mounts and a 4xi solid tranny mount off of TW for cheap. My god, this was one of the biggest pains ive ever done. The TG BOMB proof mounts are just a bit higher then the stock ones. I couldn't for the life of me get them in. Took two days because i would get frustrated and give up. The feel is nice though. I like it a lot.

I scored a front skid for 100 bucks SHIPPED off of TW. All because the TRD was backwards. Id fix that later. Also picked up a 2nd tacoma! A 2003 double cab V6 4x4. Named Igor. He became my dedicated DD and still is today. I also got an ARB inflator, SO WORTH IT, and my fairlead in for the winch line and got the line installed just in time to use the hell out of the winch.

Due to buying Igor, i had to go to the oil field to work all summer so i could afford to move to St louis in the fall for school too.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Trip: Rescue of a GMC

So, by this time I was in full forum swing and was starting to make connections on here in the Wyoming thread. Turns out, one of the members had tried going over beartooth pass in Decemeber. Why? I have no idea. But of course he got stuck in a stock GMC. Apparently they hiked out a long ways to get to cell service to get picked up. By now it was March. They Forest service was planning on plowing the pass soon; when they do that they give 0 ****s about cars/snowmobiles on the sides of the roads. They obviously wanted his truck back so he asked if a group would want to come try and help.

As most events go online, about 5 of us said we would come and help. Slowly one by one as the day approached, they dropped out like flys.

Typical of online events.

Soon, I was the only guy left saying he would be there. And damn it! I was ready for an adventure and had a new winch! I packed Frankenstein up with basic gear for an over nighter, plus as much recovery gear as I had, including my little brother, and we set off.

We met up with the guy in Cody, who was driving a Ford double cab short bed powerstoke, and set off up Chief Joseph Highway. One of my favorite roads.

After we turned of onto the Beartooth high way, it didn't take long to hit snow. I aired down to 8 psi and let my dogs out as i knew it would be slow going from here. The guy i was with had never heard of airing down so i told him to go to 20psi for now.

It sure was pretty up there. Not too cold either.

However, it was very slow going. Either he would get stuck, or i would get stuck. And we played tug oh war the whole time swapping spots on who would lead and who wouldn't.

At this spot, I tugged out his heavy truck and heard a lot pop. My front bumpers mounting plate had bent. Not cool. Only on the one side though.

It wasn't long though before the sun started to set.

Now the original plan was to meet up, camp, then spend all day saturday getting his truck. We had only met up in Cody at 5:30pm. It was approaching 8-9 now. He had wanted to go up to see if we could even make it to the truck. We got into a rhythm and just kept going.

By this time it was very slow going. We had to shovel often to try and get the trucks back up on the crust. Grant, my brother, and I where getting tired as we had been doing most of the shoveling. I had no idea how much further we had to go or what to expect. I was extremely grateful for my lights though!

Finally, we made it to the truck. Grant and I's hearts sunk.

Holy...

That..is one. Stuck...truck.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Here is a video of us digging the thing out. Borrowed a Gopro from my school for the trip. Took a long time. About 2.5 hours or so. Then the plan was to have me drive on the snow to pack it down. We then decided that since the hard pack was so narrow that id pull up as far forward of the GMC as I could. Then the Ford would back up to get behind me so id have an anchor to attach to so I could winch the GMC as there wasn't anything close by.

As you can see, that didn't really end up working. The guy swung just wide and down the truck went into the snow. So now the ford was burried up to its axles in snow that was about 5' deep and the GMC was still stuck AND the ford was blocking me in so I couldn't get out.

We quickly abandoned the idea of saving the Ford and decided to Hilift up my truck by the slider and literally push it off to get the truck so slide more over. The truck would no turn due to the snow and deep tracks. Well eventually I was able to just squeeze past, but not before kissing the ford with my bumper a bit. Felt a little bad, but not overly since it was not past 2am and I knew we needed at least one working truck haha Once free I backed down the road to the nearest tree and anchored Frankenstein to it. All 100' of winch line was let out and a couple straps to reach the GMC. But my truck couldn't do it. The GMC was just too stuck and the pull was too long and at a bad angle.

Once again a loud bang emited from the front of my truck as the other side of the bumper mount bent.

At this point. Grant and I are nearing the end of our energy and patience. Neither of us, for some stupid reason, had brought snow gear or extra socks or pants. We were super tired, wet and cold. I decide screw winching, flip Frank around and back up to the GMC and give it a big ole tug with the stronger rear bumper.

Some how that worked. And we had the GMC free. After that. I let the guy and his girlfriend try and get the ford out using the GMC. Grant and I helped dig the tires and shove rocks and wood under the tires. They hooked up a strap and proceded to go for the full speed tug method. Letting a bunch of slack in the strap then flooring the GMC and tug hard on the ford. The problem was the ford was so fat and deep that we couldn't get it to get up on the hard pack and stay there. This went on of another hour and a half. Grant and I pretty much had given up hope on the Ford when at 3:30am, it finally popped up on the hard pack.

The after math

At long last, we headed down the road to get to a campsite. 5:15am is when we finally found a spot and pasted out hard.

The next morning we woke up around Noon. Ate a small breakfast, then the guy and his girlfriend said thank you one more time and left. Grant and I stayed and played on some dirt roads for a bit but we headed home soon too, having not been prepared for the wet and cold, our clothes still soaked.

Was one hell of an adventure though. But now I had to fix my bumper.

Simo_4x4

Adventurer
Great update Blackdawg !!!! :)

Can you explain me what is the purpose the diodes that have mounted behind the swithces ?

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Great update Blackdawg !!!! :)

Can you explain me what is the purpose the diodes that have mounted behind the swithces ?

Thank you!

I originally thought they where nessiscary due to the muti ground switches. All the individual ones and the master trip all the same relay. But it's switching ground. So they are useless really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater