The importance of a rear dust light in the southwest.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I was going to say the same EMrider, hard to ever argue against a marker light or really anything to increase visibility.

I will admit that the reply from the O.P. about nerfing and the relative capability and speed kind of put me off. That mentality sometimes percolates trails everywhere. That a built crawler gets special rights to run past stockers. That's pretty rare anymore because of Share The Trail, so everyone is aware to yield to faster traffic (be it better trucks, dirt bikes) when it's safe and faster traffic understands that they just wait for the slower truck or mountain bike to yield eventually.

Have noticed the last couple of summers that the side-by-sides sometimes get arrogant and a couple of times now we've had some tense situations where we're trying to get a truck through an obstacle and had a knucklehead try to drive around us, off trail.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I dont understand the mentality where you wouldnt *want* to let someone traveling at a more advanced pace pass. Its common effing courtesy in everything from driving on the highway to playing golf. If someone catches up to you, move over. This also applies to "overlanding" in the desert or anywhere else.

eggman918

Adventurer
I dont understand the mentality where you wouldnt *want* to let someone traveling at a more advanced pace pass. Its common effing courtesy in everything from driving on the highway to playing golf. If someone catches up to you, move over. This also applies to "overlanding" in the desert or anywhere else.

Very true....But never over drive the prevailing conditions,common sense and common courtesy should go hand in hand ;)

DaveInDenver

It is courteous but the faster/more capable vehicle isn't entitled to a clear trail. When they catch up they may have to match speed or even sit tight until a yield can happen. The guy in front may not know immediately that someone's back there, what with all the visibility choking clouds of dust that are apparently present.

meatblanket

Adventurer
Somebody help me understand what a "dust light" does that factory taillights and or rearward facing red fog lights wouldn't do.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
It is courteous but the faster/more capable vehicle isn't entitled to a clear trail. When they catch up they may have to match speed or even sit tight until a yield can happen. The guy in front may not know immediately that someone's back there, what with all the visibility choking clouds of dust that are apparently present.

Hence the reason for a dust light as originally posted.

A dust light is basically a tinted rear facing spot light. Think 100W, not 3W tail lights.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I put an amber beacon on the back of my Fuso, I often move pretty slow and I like being able to flip it on to make people aware of me in those circumstances. I go really slowly up mountain passes so like to give the fast movers behind me every opportunity to not hit me that I can.

meatblanket

Adventurer
Rear facing fog lights have similar intensity to brake lights. If those are on, taillights are on, flashers are on, and I get "nerfed" then that's not on me.

Certainly in a closed course competition different rules may apply.

Can't say that I've ever had anyone run up my *** on a dusty road though. I guess I should be more careful.

BJ'sFJ

BJ's Tundra :)
I always run my Baja Designs S2's in Amber on the rear when on the trails. Safety is key and you wouldn't want an accident on the trails because you can't see the person in front of you. Tried to keep them as high as possible

IMG_6749 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

lugueto

Adventurer
I am all for bombing down a dirt road at high speeds. But common knowledge dictates you shouldn't be driving in a dust cloud, at close range with another vehicle and at high speeds. Its dangerous and not good for your car. It DOES NOT dictate you should approach the vehicle at high speeds and give it a bump just for him to get out of your way.

That being said, a "dust light" is useful when you had to stop or slow down abruptly in very dusty conditions while driving with other vehicles. I simply use my reverse light, a Rigid Dually. When such a situation comes, I simply turn it on and the vehicle behind me will see it at a safe distance.

Its weird how people interpret their bad habits as common knowledge and try to preach them. We have a saying down here, it reads "Common sense is the least common of all senses". I've found it to be extremely accurate.

DaveInDenver

Hence the reason for a dust light as originally posted.

A dust light is basically a tinted rear facing spot light. Think 100W, not 3W tail lights.
The dust light is for the guy coming up knowing there's traffic to overtake, the slow person in front may not know he's there or waiting to pass for some period of time. IOW, this isn't the Baja 1000 where the slow traffic is constantly aware of faster vehicles coming up until he sees headlights or forward marker lamps.

In the course of a trail day a relatively slow person may never encounter someone who wants to pass so he may not be watching for place to allow traffic to pass.

Anyway, it's still on the high speed traffic to stay in control. What if it's a broken down vehicle stopped, foot traffic or wildlife hazards? Even if all vehicles have indicators there's still no justification for driving with no regard for other things. I usually drive with my headlights on but that doesn't mean I can assume I'm seen or know what's out there, so I try to drive with caution.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I was going to say the same EMrider, hard to ever argue against a marker light or really anything to increase visibility.

I will admit that the reply from the O.P. about nerfing and the relative capability and speed kind of put me off. That mentality sometimes percolates trails everywhere. That a built crawler gets special rights to run past stockers. That's pretty rare anymore because of Share The Trail, so everyone is aware to yield to faster traffic (be it better trucks, dirt bikes) when it's safe and faster traffic understands that they just wait for the slower truck or mountain bike to yield eventually.

Have noticed the last couple of summers that the side-by-sides sometimes get arrogant and a couple of times now we've had some tense situations where we're trying to get a truck through an obstacle and had a knucklehead try to drive around us, off trail.

I yield to everyone, head on and traffic coming up from behind. Try to be a good ambassador to the sport, have nothing to prove speed wise....

Gaaad those SideXSide guys think they own the trail...have come very close to having a head on a couple few times. Worse than quad riders, that cage lessens the fear factor for them. Believe they can haul more beer too...

I put an amber beacon on the back of my Fuso, I often move pretty slow and I like being able to flip it on to make people aware of me in those circumstances. I go really slowly up mountain passes so like to give the fast movers behind me every opportunity to not hit me that I can.

We get a lot of fog and drizzle type rain here in the fall/winter months. Right now is sugar beat season in the valley...the trucks have flashing amber lights on the rear...can see them for quite a long ways down the road. Since I tend to be the slowest guy on the road (even if I set the cruise right at the speed limit, ha!), thought of putting one one my truck, 'cause everyone is in a hurry it seems now-a-days!

Last edited:

DanCooper

Adventurer
"I yield to everyone, head on and traffic coming up from behind. Try to be a good ambassador to the sport, have nothing to prove speed wise...."

I could not agree more.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Cool idea

I like the idea of a rear mounted bright colored light.

Cars with fog lights in Europe use a bright rear red light mounted to the non-curb side. It would be cool to see this adopted in the U.S.
A red light registers faster in my brain than an amber light. Probably because of the conditioning that red means stop. Non flashing amber has no connection in my brain.

I've never heard of, or been "nerfed" on a public trail. I'm still shaking my head in disbelief. I have to think this is being promoted by a group of pit squids, who don't belong behind the wheel of anything motorized.
Don't drink the Kool-Aid! There have been deadly fights over far less, and that isn't good for anyone (except environmentalists who want our access shut down, and will use any excuse they can to do just that).
Better to stop, breath and think. Let the dust settle, or choose a different trail. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven