The "Mother Lode" 2005 GMC Yukon

krazytoy

Adventurer
That second picture is what it is all about, getting out there with family and making memories.

My kids don't remember Christmas presents or Birthdays as well as all the trips we went on.
Travel and the outdoors really enriched their lives.

I couldn't agree more!

Jelorian

Adventurer
Awesome rig for sure! I wish I had your mechanical prowess and fabrication skills. Thanks for all the pics and the detailed write up.

krazytoy

Adventurer
Well, it’s been one year since I mostly finished the build and I couldn’t be happier with the Yukon. I have made a few modifications to the rig lately, mostly just more mods to the odometer.
This gives you a good idea how tall it is, this is next to a co-workers bone stock one.

Took the kids up to some high mountain lakes over Labor day.

Then got snowed on!

In preparation for the Rubicon I added some sliders.

I built a brace for the steering box as well, tied it to the passenger side frame rail.

At the beginning of September I made the trip to the Rubicon, it has been a bucket list trail for me since I was a kid. I picked up my Dad at the airport in Reno and we made our way over to Loon Lake, we spent the first night there then headed to Buck Island for the second night and spent the 3rd night at Rubicon Springs. The Rubicon definitely lived up to all the hype and it is such an amazing trail. We made it through without any body damage or breakage and I drove the Yukon the 550 miles there and back without issue. On the way there the truck started to seemingly loose power up hills and it turns out my fuel pump started to take a dump.

Loon Lake

Got a little tight by Soup Bowl.

Followed a bunch Nissans in to Buck Island.

krazytoy

Adventurer
Buck Island Camp

Coming Down Big Sluice

Camp at Rubicon Springs

Things got really tight going up Cadillac Hill!

When I got back I figured it was time for some maintenance to the motor. I changed the fuel pump module, pulled the motor down to the cam and swapped cams, did new LS6 springs, timing chain, new water pump, belts, new gaskets on everything, changed the stupid knock sensors and over hauled everything in there. It runs so much better now, really happy with it.

That’s about it for now, gonna keep driving it daily and putting miles on it. We are heading to Moab in a few weeks to meet some buddies there and run some trails around Moab for a few days then going to run the White Rim Trail, should be a good time.

rayra

Expedition Leader
would have been a good time for a lifter swap too? I've got a sticker I can't seem to resolve without replacement.

and this picture right here convinces me that wheel spacers or positive offset rims would be well worth the money!

IMG_3683au.jpg

Great driving on your part, the Jeep guys must have been marveling at your lack of damage.

krazytoy

Adventurer
would have been a good time for a lifter swap too? I've got a sticker I can't seem to resolve without replacement.
I have had a stuck lifter in the past and it's not fun, I didn't want to pull the heads to replace them. With 218K on this motor if something semi catastrophic goes I'm gonna pull it and put a Duramax in it.

and this picture right here convinces me that wheel spacers or positive offset rims would be well worth the money!
That was a tight spot for sure, I don't know if I would have wanted to be much wider than I already am on much of the trail, seems I squeezed through a lot, just barely...

Great driving on your part, the Jeep guys must have been marveling at your lack of damage.
Yeah, that certainly was the first words out of everyone's mouth "how the hell did you get that in here without it looking like a tin can" Had one guy just walk up to me and just extend his hand and say "congratulations, you must be one hell of a driver". Just made me chuckle.

Thanks

krazytoy

Adventurer
So I just spent the last 9 days in and around Moab with some great friends and family. We did Hells Revenge with all of the optional obstacles, Poison Spider, Kane Creek, Chicken Corners and Top of the World trails around Moab then met my Dad and some of his friends to run the White Rim trail. The White Rim Trail has to be one of my favorite trails to date, ever… No, it’s not hard, in fact I only used 4 Wheel drive once the entire trail but it beauty is something that I have never seen or experienced on any other trail and I have been all over the country and Canyonlands, I highly recommend it if you ever get the chance. Anyway, on to the pictures…

White Rim

Jelorian

Adventurer
Great pics! Wow! White Rim Trail is definitely on the short list of places to visit. Looks like your rig came out pretty unscathed. I'm sure the SFA helped.

Cheers!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow:Wow1:beautiful pics Krazy! Thanks for posting up. Looks like you had lots of fun. Cheers, chilli..:)

yota_mota

Incredible build!! I think you may have tipped me over the edge in making my decision to get a tahoe or Yukon. I've been kicking around that idea for some time now and I even considered getting a 60 or 80 series land cruiser. But I might have to sell my pride and joy in order to get what I want. I already have a '98 Chevy ecsb with a lift and 35s but I HATE the IFS on it!! Got a Dana 60 and 14 bolt sitting collecting dust, waiting to be built. The time is now!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bojak

Adventurer
Awesome job on the conversion. I have a gmt 400 crew I really want to swap a solid axel under. Lots of inspiration in this thread. You probably have one of the best I've seen.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Where's the obligatory Top of the World photo on that rock overhang?

And yes, that's as far as I could get myself to go out on a rock cantilevered over a 1000 foot vertical drop. Scariest 15 feet I've ever driven.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal