The old 1999 build thread

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
The last care package from Mitsubishi R&D, these are the parts i was waiting on but it's bittersweet because Nissan terminated the engineering program and with it went my connection to Mitsubishi. Here's to my friends who lost their jobs and wishing them luck in their future ventures. Thanks guys!

20161206_225255.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Can you expand on that? Mitsubishi is a much bigger company than Nissan. What part of Mitsubishi was Nissan funding? How were they conncected, and what is no longer happening?

tacoheroi

Loads of inspiration. Thank you. I'll also say you've got prime coolness in those front bumpers of yours. I'd be too would be interested in one in the near future.

Toasty

Bomb proofing the IFS

So after abandoning an awesome rock crawler axle I decided to just build a bomb proof IFS, the Az Crew has been running various polyurethane kits for the past few years and I am highly impressed. PA_JERO has run a couple flavors, Whiteline and Superpro his only gripes were installation and one of the Whiteline bushings couldn't hang but it was likely do to an installation error. A couple of the other guys here have run into similar issues with damaging the new bushings during installation with the results being a short part life.
LT and I started doing some R&D on some new bushings, we imported a few sets from Siberian Bushing to try and I must say these things go in perfectly. They are designed after factory parts so the shape and metal cladding is spot on perfect, no generic 2 piece bushings to replace 1 OEM unit here. I got the frame side LCA bushing out with a C clamp and a piece of exhaust tube from autozone for $3. Then pulled the new bushing into place with a piece of all thread, took about 15 minutes per side to R&I the bushings (suspension already removed). Now these are the most difficult bushings to replace on the entire truck with reports of hours of installation for the Superpro bushings because the frame sleeve needs to be cut/driven out. My parts just went together like they were made for the truck, very pleased with this. So pleased in fact that I got some more coming for my friends and they are now available for purchase here in the USA here <click link

20161206_093817.jpg

You can see the old rear LCA bushings were a little flat, the fronts just crumbled upon removal.

20161230_091214.jpg
20161230_091705.jpg
20161230_091718.jpg

So with these new bushings, 100mm CV hafshafts, all new tie rods and balljoints the truck should handle the 37's fine. I will be dropping back down to 35's in order to be just indestructible, I feel it's better to be below my limit than at my limit for when I want to push the truck a little harder than normal. Next up stopping, and I think you guys are really going to like this...

Last edited:

Toasty

So after learning the hard way that the Sport spindles cause alignment issues i swapped over the needed parts to make the bigger brakes work with the Montero. I'll make a separate write up for the brake upgrade to make it easy to DIY, i took a bunch of pics and labled all parts but i don't want that good tech buried in my build thread.
Anyway, here it is! 315mm brakes on the Montero, i went with slotted rotors and carbon pads. Should be great for stopping this heavy machine and dissipate heat better than it used to.

***Note the brand new Aisin hubs, thanks to PA_JERO for hooking those up and thanks to cruiser outfitters for supplying them!

20161231_093741.jpg

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
You're the MAN, Toasty! Thanks to the East Side AZ Crew for getting all this research and outfitting done. I've almost set fire to the front brakes on my '95 before, pretty much losing all braking power, so I know it's a weak link. I'll be looking for your write-up.

John B.

Toasty

Not yet, i use a really thick silicone grease on all surfaces. The suspension moves very smoothly, i haven't noticed the polyurethane on the other trucks to make more noise than stock so far. Paj has 2 season on his and i drove his truck last month and it was quiet, but it could be masked by mud terrains and exhaust.

Swift_45a

Observer
So after learning the hard way that the Sport spindles cause alignment issues i swapped over the needed parts to make the bigger brakes work with the Montero. I'll make a separate write up for the brake upgrade to make it easy to DIY, i took a bunch of pics and labled all parts but i don't want that good tech buried in my build thread.
Anyway, here it is! 315mm brakes on the Montero, i went with slotted rotors and carbon pads. Should be great for stopping this heavy machine and dissipate heat better than it used to.

***Note the brand new Aisin hubs, thanks to PA_JERO for hooking those up and thanks to cruiser outfitters for supplying them!

View attachment 380557

Sexy!! Any pics of them mounted with your wheels? Do you know what the Pajero Evos uses for gen 2/2.5?

Toasty

I'll take some tomorrow, I do know what the Evo uses and it's not these ha ha ha. Close in size though, the Evo has slightly larger brakes but they are very hard to get. I can ask Phil what his measure out at but I might want to wait till spring, I just had him out in the snow measuring the CV's on the Evo. They are the same as the 94-96 SR 100mm and now you know.

Toasty

Here is the new rotor compared to the original Montero rotor.

20161224_155700.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater