THE OSHKOSH M 1070 (!)

peneumbra

Explorer
This is the vehicle used to transport the Abrams tank, and other extremely large and heavy things. Quite a few for sale on E-BAY these days; 500 HP 8V92, 8X8, Allison automatic, massive winch, etc etc.

They're being advertised for about 10 cents on the dollar. Very cool if you like really big vehicles.

So -- who here has one? Experiences?

pmoyle

I don't own one but I spent some time in the military around them. I do own a M35A2 2.5 ton truck and a M923A2 5 ton truck, I love big Army trucks. Very good trucks for hauling heavy loads on rough terrain. Down side is they are slow, about 45 miles-per-hour and the wonderful sounding Detroit Diesel drinks fuel like it is free.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Also know as the HET. I got to drive a few when I worked for Oshkosh Truck in WI. (Still love HEMMT's the best!) The experience was like driving a building from the second story window. When you turn, you have the feeling that you're moving sideways more than turning... :) And you look down on normal semi trucks like they look down on cars, which is interesting. I'm 6' tall, and if I hunched just a tiny bit, the door would swing open OVER my head. I don't recall top speed for the HET, but I think pmoyle is close at 45 or 50mph.
And they have not one, but TWO 50k lb winches on the back. :)

The trailer that goes with these trucks is amazing. Has 40 tires paired up two to a caster IIRC, and all the casters swivel as the truck makes turns, and are suspend to follow terrain very smoothly. And the trailer is 14' wide. LOTS of hydraulics under there!!

Actually, the better deal is the M9XX series trucks... (923/933/925 etc) They're capable of close to 65mph, and fairly easy to drive, and also VERY cheap. M1078 Stuart and Stevenson trucks are starting to come on the market at reasonable prices too, but they top out around 55mph, and use a bit more fuel I believe. But they would make a great chassis for a large overlanding rig!

And I'm still holding out for a HEMMT, preferably with the rear mounted crane. :)

Hawkz

Adventurer
I hear ya. I was looking at this the other day. It's awesome, but I have no place to park it. :drool:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?135080-For-Sale-Oshkosh-M985-HEMTT-Cargo-Truck

Also know as the HET. I got to drive a few when I worked for Oshkosh Truck in WI. (Still love HEMMT's the best!) The experience was like driving a building from the second story window. When you turn, you have the feeling that you're moving sideways more than turning... :) And you look down on normal semi trucks like they look down on cars, which is interesting. I'm 6' tall, and if I hunched just a tiny bit, the door would swing open OVER my head. I don't recall top speed for the HET, but I think pmoyle is close at 45 or 50mph.
And they have not one, but TWO 50k lb winches on the back. :)

The trailer that goes with these trucks is amazing. Has 40 tires paired up two to a caster IIRC, and all the casters swivel as the truck makes turns, and are suspend to follow terrain very smoothly. And the trailer is 14' wide. LOTS of hydraulics under there!!

Actually, the better deal is the M9XX series trucks... (923/933/925 etc) They're capable of close to 65mph, and fairly easy to drive, and also VERY cheap. M1078 Stuart and Stevenson trucks are starting to come on the market at reasonable prices too, but they top out around 55mph, and use a bit more fuel I believe. But they would make a great chassis for a large overlanding rig!

And I'm still holding out for a HEMMT, preferably with the rear mounted crane. :)

1stDeuce

Explorer
Looks like that HEMTT sold for $14,500. Still a little too much for me, but a sweet deal for someone!!

HET's going for more than $30k on Iron Planet... Govliquidation was getting much less for them just recently...

Several M923A2's sold today for less than $3000, with a few even below $2000... If only I lived in Kansas!! Hopefully some with come up nearer to me, or I'll get such an itch that I'll have to scratch it! :)

BTW, I think these trucks count as "Domestic Full Size", right? :)

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Those LMTV's really have my interest- I didn't realize the payload was as low as it is. Otherwise much nicer size than the M9XX.
If you're going to spend that kind of coin for an HET, you better have some serous work to do.

1stDeuce

Explorer
LMTV = 55mph top speed. :( You can re-gear them for more with parts from a scrapped MRAP, but it's fairly expensive. :(
Go big or go home, I guess. I'll get there again eventually. (Of all the things I've lost, I miss my Deuce the most!)

theburtseoni

Observer
Remove the winches and you would have one great platform to build the ultimate off-road expedition RV on. Put as much heavy stuff as you need, you will never overload the HET truck. And, you could pull one large trailer heavily loaded and built into a mega land yacht worthy of royalty with 6 months worth of water onboard. Well, maby not quite that much, but you get my drift.
Anyway, I want one of the Oshkosh 8X8 Hemmt rigs. Wow- talk about one awesome off road expedition vehicle. I have seen a couple of them built up as very off road capable motorhome RVs. But at about 2-3 mpg and a top speed of 50, a person needs to be well off and in no hurry- :victory:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I would love to have one of those 8 wheel drive rigs. You can always get the diesel to run on veggie oil. Next free tank up is at the local Mc Donalds or Burger King....:ylsmoke:

theburtseoni

Observer
"I'll have a large double cheeseburger, fries, and large Coke and all the used cooking oil- and supersize that for me!"

LIXterra

I'm in the Marine corps actually get to drive the the osh kosh MTVR Mk series trucks so much fun. 6 wheel drive and a central tire inflation system CTIS allows you to automatically airdown and air up with the touch of a button. These trucks can take a beating and are super reliable maybe one day i can take one home!

MTVR-MK23-MK25-1.jpg

pmoyle

The MTVR is an awesome truck, I would love to get one. Too bad they don't get show up on the surplus market, I think they get sent back to Oshkosh for rebuild or destruction.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I'm in the Marine corps actually get to drive the the osh kosh MTVR Mk series trucks so much fun. 6 wheel drive and a central tire inflation system CTIS allows you to automatically airdown and air up with the touch of a button. These trucks can take a beating and are super reliable maybe one day i can take one home!

MTVR-MK23-MK25-1.jpg

Ha that photo is from NATC :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seabass

Idiot
I can attest to the 9xx series. We've bought a 923 and a 932 for use on the farm. They are CHEAP and bomb proof! We haul feed to out cattle with them. They are particularly nice when you get a butt load of snow. The 932 had a cracked head so I re-powered it with a 350 big cam cummins....now it's a fun ride in a whole new way!!!!
ff47e3fb0ce2fed0cca80068d467ede3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven