The Plan...

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
back to the top for this old thread... Boy is this a wordy thread, sorry about that..

Finally rounding the final stretch for the trailer build and starting to focus on this again and get moving... I ordered all the stuff for the front axle, almost $400 to the T to ballistic fab for the axle, $30 for Ford shock towers (rather than Ballistic's expensive $35 each towers), so about $430 more down. The steering is coming from 4x4labs.com and is trade out. It would be valued at about $600 I figure but I'm not going to count it... Makes the total right at about $1300 so far I figure...

This stuff should all be here in about two weeks I figure...

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I oddly mysteriously blew a R&P on my '89 daily driver a couple weeks ago. As the blue mini truck will be getting a tacoma diff I pulled the old V6 diff out of it and put it in the red truck... Here are some better photos of the blue truck in the shop, looks a little better than out in the yard...
attachment.php

It's really in pretty good shape...
attachment.php

Scott-E-Ray who is my shop mate who drives an 80 series and is a long time cruiserhead, originally from Kentucky.. A great wrench and great to have him around!
attachment.php

The rear axle and diff pulled. Note the nice clean brand new exhaust. Will be sad to see it go or maybe it's worth something perhaps..
attachment.php

And the blown R&P. First time I've ever done that... Gnarly...
attachment.php

R&P guts... It will be another couple weeks at bare min before there are any more updated but they'll be coming...

Attachments

• SM_060.jpg
    SM_060.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 2,345
  • SM_061.jpg
    SM_061.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 2,273
  • SM_062.jpg
    SM_062.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 885
  • SM_063.jpg
    SM_063.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 886
  • SM_064.jpg
    SM_064.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 885
  • SM_072.jpg
    SM_072.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 30

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Some more research into the coil setup, I've been posting more about it as it still doesn't make sense to me why it isn't more popular...

Pirate (old thread recently resurrected):
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9679454

Mud:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/277858-coil-springs-under-40s-again.html

Wasatch Cruisers:
http://www.wasatchcruisers.org/vbulletinfrm/showthread.php?t=6002

Basically I have OCD disorder researching this... I think I have it pretty dialed. My parts order won't be perfect but it should be pretty good, I'm pretty psyched!

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Back to the top for this old thread... I had a little of a busy summer / fall and now winter but I am gearing up to make this the big project of the winter. I am still waiting on the adapter from 4x4labs but some of it is pending some lingering tradeout I have to complete for them as well but I am excited regardless.

I have my long term FJ55 project clean and mostly taken apart for storage outside for the winter. This believe it or not has been one of the largest hurdles..

Here are photos of the Cummins and the FJ55 long term project that will hopefully be done some day. This entire project is largely to compensate for the lack of time and energy I have been able to put into it. My goal is to build this one quickly and have it as a solid reliable but also reasonably capable "Expo rig" ( :sombrero: ) for several years until I finally get my FJ55/80 4BT project done someday.

attachment.php

It rolls and will store outside easily naked...
attachment.php

A few things have also changed. Since then I've also acquired a new Ford diesel that will be my daily driver and tow rig. So this means this vehicle will be more of a dedicated vehicle versus a daily driver so I will be building it a hair bigger and tougher (shooting for a reasonably narrow 34" tire now). I have also basically concluded that my wife unfortunately just won't come on off road trips (such is life and that is OK) so I am not planning it mostly for me and me alone so I've downgraded some of the requirements for it. Rather than a RTT (and I'll make provisions to mount one and I have one) I'll just sleep in the bed. I've also finalized my basic plans for the bed:

attachment.php

I also decide I will do a veggie oil and probably something like a methanol injection kit (here is a random kit on the internet) of some sort as well to give the Benz motor significant pep when on the highway.

Attachments

• SM_005.jpg
    SM_005.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 777
  • SM_007.jpg
    SM_007.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 773
  • SM_rack-inspiration.jpg
    SM_rack-inspiration.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 766

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
The problem with sleeping in the bed is I'm 6'5 (so the tailgate needs to be open) and I need to have the entire bed length to sleep in. This poses difficulty mostly the vegetable oil & methanol kit (which I don't want to have mounted on one side of the bed particularly) so my technique will be mount the two tanks slightly raised that will let my feet go beneath it but low enough so not to obstruct the rear window. This will also be an interesting little fab project... The bed is also shallow so it will pose some considerable challenges...
SM_Picture%20018.jpg

Here are the fuel cells that will house the waste vegetable oil (19 gallons) and the 15 gallon will house the h20/methanol which should last a long time, 1000-2000 miles easily if not more depending on how rich I run it. If I run out for some reason it it is as simple as adding windshield washer fluid and some distilled water :)

They will be mounted side to side against the cab, and they are about 30" long so this will leave room for about 3 jerry cans I figure also on the rack for extended range of hopefully about 600-800 miles on vegetable oil.

I think I should stop now as I don't really want to spill the beans but these are the plans at least for the back.

Also here is a photo for reference. This is my former red mini truck on Old Man Emu with a 2" body lift and 33 x 10.5. I'll be running a slightly shorter body height with a slightly larger tire, locked and geared and SFA with the coils as discussed earlier in the thread...

I thought I would let you all know.. I am excited to start.

Last edited:

digitalferg

Adventurer
So many threads to follow on this... hehe

And all these threads and all this reading and research I've been doing and all the side-links I keep clicking on that take me to new threads to read...has really got me to thinking my 2002 4Runner is not quite the right base/truck for what I ultimately want to do--which is something similar to what you're doing Andre. The 2002 4Runner is super super close to what I would like to start with, but it has some pretty big hurdles for what I want to do--most notably, the VSC/TRAC/ABS crap and the driver's side front t-case output. Lucky for me, I've got plenty of time (and plenty other things taking up that plenty of time) before I could even get a start on any large sort of mod for any truck I might have. So plenty of time to think about it and see how yours and others projects turn out and make any base/truck changes. I've got a pretty good idea on what would be the ultimate setup for me, but that could change a bit I think...

Anyway, again, can't wait to see this project progress and can't wait to come get my hands dirty helpin ya out with it. :D

-Ferg-

RU55ELL

Explorer
The only thing I can think of doing is putting the spare tire overhead and putting the veggie oil equipment in its place with a skidplate or trying to wedge it all into the bedside with a fuel door like your gas tank.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
The only thing I can think of doing is putting the spare tire overhead and putting the veggie oil equipment in its place with a skidplate or trying to wedge it all into the bedside with a fuel door like your gas tank.

I've had a few overhead racks before and they can be a little of a liability which is one more reason I love the truck and that I'll be able to keep all this pretty low for low general COG. For that reason I liked the idea of the spare and real weight in the bed. I don't mind all the fab the bed will take in fact I sort of look forward to it and think it will be a little outside the box and very practical. The idea is for it to hopefully serve as a model for others in both strengths and weaknesses... I do have what I consider some really neat ideas also in terms of rain protection as well :)

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
So many threads to follow on this... hehe

I know, sorry about that. But for the record I'll condense them all here into this thread, and the different threads also approach a different idea of a weld on 'kit' for the radius arm suspension for Tacoma & Mini truck owners that is more DDer oriented than the traditional SFA swap. For example I think http://www.brian894x4.com/ as well as most American overlanders in general I think would be excellent candidates. This is also one of those 'custom' mods that I could only see being a serious strengthening and general reliability increase mods rather than something that would take it away.

tacollie

Glamper
I have been waiting for this thread to continue.:coffeedrink: I have been considering a radius control arm set up for the 4runner for similar reasons. Do you have a thread or more info on the benz motor or did I just miss it here?

Last edited:

digitalferg

Adventurer
I have been considering a radius control arm set up for the 4runner for similar reasons.

I see your 4R is a 2000. Does it have ABS? If so, have you given any thought to what to do about the ABS in front? I've not seen one SAS 4R thats mentioned anything about ABS--I think everyone that's done a SAS before either didn't have ABS to begin with or has just disabled ABS. My thought is to use an 80 series complete front and get the ABS on the 80 series axle to tie into the 4R's ABS. Dunno if its possible yet though as I don't know much about ABS systems yet. They definitely do not use the same front ABS sensors. Not that I really care about having ABS, but the ABS/TRAC/VSC is all tied into the main ECU on my 2002 so seems like an easier plan to just get ABS to play nice with the SAS. And I guess ABS is somewhat useful for street/highway driving.

-Ferg-

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I see your 4R is a 2000. Does it have ABS? If so, have you given any thought to what to do about the ABS in front? I've not seen one SAS 4R thats mentioned anything about ABS--I think everyone that's done a SAS before either didn't have ABS to begin with or has just disabled ABS. My thought is to use an 80 series complete front and get the ABS on the 80 series axle to tie into the 4R's ABS. Dunno if its possible yet though as I don't know much about ABS systems yet. They definitely do not use the same front ABS sensors. Not that I really care about having ABS, but the ABS/TRAC/VSC is all tied into the main ECU on my 2002 so seems like an easier plan to just get ABS to play nice with the SAS. And I guess ABS is somewhat useful for street/highway driving.

-Ferg-

Integrating the ABS of the 80 would be very cool, even better if you can do the common hacks to be able to disable it at will. What are your thoughts on the width of the 80 axle under a 3rd gen 4Runner? You could run some fairly back-spaced wheel but might run into TRE clearance issues? Though I think the 80 steering arms angle outwards less than a 40/55/60 axle. I say do it, leave 100% of the bracketry on the 80 axle and you know we can dial in the coil rates using our research and calculations. Hardest part on the 3rd Gen or a Tacoma would be the steering imo. You'll have to do an earlier steering box similar to that of a SAS. Plenty of kits to handle that though.

Andre, I'm really warmed up on your idea given your planned uses and more importantly the budget and time-table you want to do it on. However I still think it will be a time cruncher :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater