The search begins.....

89s rule

Adventurer
You'll need a time delay relay for #4 (and possibly #5 too)... I found one here for my heated super duty mirror project: http://www.wolstentech.com/products/timedelayrelay/timedelayrelay.php

relatively cheap, simple to wire and nice quality.

#6 is possible but it'll require a little thought. A lot of those fancy functions in cars are done with microcontrollers and logic. It can be done...there are aftermarket solutions for this stuff...but it isn't going to plug 'n' play for a van.

Thanks I figured you might have a few ideas. I will check into that web page. Looks like it will take care of several things I am wanting to do. I am fine with no straight plug an play but trying to figure out custom wiring with resisters, etc I get lost quick. Following a writeup
There was a thread on a ranger forum about the auto up and auto down windows, but no instructions.

Did you pull your turbo off to get at the back of your fuel bowl???
My 95 had a fuel leak. I rebuilt the bowl, and replaced the pump. Could not figure out how to get at it without pulling the turbo.
Now have a minor oil leak. No idea from where. Will have to address it this spring.
Interested to see how you like the TS chip. Since I have the same motor I will be following your thread closely!!!
Just looking to get mine leak free and reliable. The high idle function on the chip looks nice for cold weather starts and a bit more hp would be great as long as it does not have any impact on reliability and engine life!!

I did not pull the turbo to get the fuel bowl off. I am pulling the turbo to get the side intake plate off since I dropped a hose clamp in one side. :( I think you have to pull the turbo if you are doign the pump. Is yours a mechanical pump like mine. (In the valley)? I did have a small leak on the down pipes but other than that I don't think I had any major leaks. Idle and cold cranking are my main concerns for now. As much crap as was in the bowl and screen for the FPR I hope that clears up a good bit.

Unfortunately on the TS chip they didn't offer the high idle through XDP for the van. I am not sure if this is an OBS / Van thing or a standard tune thing or what. I may try to change tunes in the future, but for $200 I felt like it was going to be hard to be beat. DP does offer a high idle, but cheapest I have seen them is $300.

On the accessories: I came from late model vehicles and missed all that stuff too... For a month or two, then I forgot all about it. Locked my keys in the van half a dozen times because I was used to keyless ign. Maybe what seems important today will pass?

I am actually used to minimal extras, but some are just nice to have especially if they can be had for a relatively inexpensive price.

Also forgot to add another one:

#7 - Keyless entry and remote start.

cjken

Explorer
Yes mechanical pump in the valley just like yours. Glad to see another 95 on here. Good luck with your project!!

89s rule

Adventurer
Spent most of the day doing a parts run for the van. Picked up an RV dinette for the rear from a guy off Craigslist. It will need some rework so it will mount over the wheel wells, but overall it will work for what I need. Needs to be recovered at some point, but couldn't argue with $100 including the table and seat belts. It will lay out into a bad as well.

Then decided I would swing by the u pull junk yard on the way home. 3rd van I looked at was a cargo conversion. It had a queen bed in the back, full carpet everywhere. Only thing already gone were front seats and vent in the roof. I look at second row and it has swivel seats! Sweet, I've been hoping I would find a set. Seats were red, so they were a no go, but the swivel setup was nice. I need to take one apart as it looks like it got water in via the vent missing. It should work well once I get it lubed up. Whoever did the conversion did some insulation as well had some foam on the ceiling seems a lot like luxury liner or similar. Downside is he put it up with contact cement or the like, it was tough to come down. I pulled some of it as well, but not sure where I will use it. (They didn't charge me for the foam.)

I finally get both pulled and seats off. started looking around some more and found a '90 Econoline Conversion van loaded out: swivel seats in 2nd row that can also be removed with a lever, tables with RV flush floor mounts and poles for tables, etc. I got the tables and one swivel base pulled, ran out of time before they closed. Also got some nice Kenwood 6.5" speakers for $15. Strongly considering going back in the AM to get the 4th swivel. Wish I could go back on Saturday as its 1/2 price day, but we already have something with family planned. I thought about getting the sets out of this van as well, but decided to just stick with what I have as neither is what I really want. I think I'll just mount up what I have and keep my eyes peeled for something nice later on.

I am also going to try and pull the mirror and wiring out of a Tahoe, it has temp and compass and seems to be an easy swap. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/compass-temp-auto-dim-mirror-swap-detailed-lots-o-pics-952705/ I had pulled an explorer mirror with autodim and was going to do the explorer overhead console swap for the temp and compass, but I think I would rather go with the Tahoe unit and save the overhead space for a shelf or possibly switches, etc.

I got home and unloaded the dinette into the van, I think it is going to work out nice. My Waeco cf-35 also came in today.

I will post pics in the next day or so.

89s rule

Adventurer
Rear doors swapped:

Had a slight issue with my upper door strike/latch, it was bent from beign a cargo van, had to pull 3rd brake light remove bracket and bend back down with ratchet strap and a hammer.

I have all solid doors for sale, not perfect on inside but outside in decent shape...no rust.

Dinette:

JY find, had a queen matress in the back lol. I got 2 swivel brackets out of it. $20 total!

Also have 2 other swivel brackets from another van in the JY, total $40 for brackets and sliders. Now to find a nice set of grey seats. Will run what I have for now.
I swapped side doors last week/ this weekend, need to work on alignment, understep was nasty, thought I had already cleaned it with hose, pulled the plastic cover and it was full or crap. I also got the hose clamp out of the intake that I dropped in a month or so back. Never cranked engine, but had to pull turbo and other associated parts to get to it. Need to put everything back together but its been hard when its freezing or raining. Then add in we built a treehouse for the kids ~11'x16' 8' off the ground. Then we got a new puppy over the weekend so I may be slowed even more.
Tons of parts waiting need to get tehm on and driving. Also had the PD visit about a non tagged vehicle in my yard. :eek: I just got title in on Sunday so debatign on moving it to a friends place or just gettign a tag for it. Probably move it since I plan to scrap it anyways.
I have more pictures but need to upload them.

89s rule

Adventurer
I probably could have made out for $5 ea for the swivels but I thought I might need the sliders as well. Now to fine a Sienna with recliners in a pull a part. :smiley_drive:

Finally uploading some pictures off of my new camera.

Storage shed/parts piling up to get installed. (Carpet kit & dinette)

Front doors swapped:

I also swapped the driver fender as mine was slightly dented. Gotta love the stripes. lol I am actually thinking about a few designs for the outside. My wife asks why don't I just get it painted like I want. I told her it could be the difference between $600 in materials if I can call in a favor or possibly learn to do it myself at a friends shop/$2K + as a shop doing it vs. some graphics/pintriping for $100 or so off eBay until we can afford decent paint work. The white on the doors is a little bit off, but some of it is also dirt. Hoping it comes a little closer with a good washing and waxing.

If I go the graphic route I may talk to a few commerical arts students here at tech about designing something. Considering something with digital camo (white or grey/black), an aditional color or two for accent (possibly having them reflective?) and Bumble the abominable snowman. Trying to think it through so it doesn't look like some 17 yr old got ahold of a van lol.
Maybe similar to the logo from our Erskine trip to the Whee back in '08

bdog1

Adventurer
Eraser wheel is pretty painless on those old stripes. May let you see what you got.

Worked well enough for me to just quit there. Hate dragging new paint through the woods!

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

89s rule

Adventurer
Went to Columbia yesterday so swung by the Pullapart JY. If anyone is looking for swivel seat bases they have at least 5-7 in various vans. Most were the older style but will work fine. Especially for $5-10 ea.
You can look up on their web page what vehicles they have. These both had swivels:

This one had 3:

I also found a side pop out window for the 60% door. There was a '99 that had some nice composite headlights as well so I got them to replace the yellowed ones I just did the swap with. Also tried to get an e350 emblem for the rear but could not get it pulled off without damaging it. (If anyone de-badged their e350 I would be interested in your rear emblem.)
I got the vent window swapped over this afternoon.

Took a little drilling on the plastic trim.

Let the breezes begin!

Also got the dash around the radio pulled, I found a harness from back when I had Mustangs in and right after college. I plan to swap in a Kenwood Excelon x993 that I used to have in our 4runner before I went to a Nav unit. Will be a nice upgrade from the radio only unit from '95 that was in there. Hopefully the weather will start to stay nice so I can get more finished including the engine and start driving it.

Then again we picked up this little girl a few weeks back, she turns 9 weeks on Monday. Keeping my busy.

1/2 Black and Tan Coonhound 1/2 Lab mix

bdog1

Adventurer
Fishing line to get the emblems off.

Cute puppy. No van is complete without one (or two).

ybejuza4.jpg

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

89s rule

Adventurer
Snow 2x this month in Upstate, SC is unheard of, I was able to squeeze in some work on the van over the weekend. Tore into getting the engine items done so I can start driving this thing again soon. Started with getting the passenger side valve cover removed, Took removing the alternator to reach a few easier on the front side and already had everything else pulled. Had a little issue getting to one bolt (middle bottom) but once we figured where to get to it from it came right out.
Wish I had taken a before picture of the cover installed you couldn't read any labels it was so coated with grime.
Pulled everything and saw this:

I am getting to where I am almost relieved to find some things that people have issue with in hopes that when I get it all back together and fixed that will be what my issue was with it not idling, cutting out at stop lights, and bucking. This is the injector / glow plug harness and I also had a clogged fuel pressure reg on the fuel bowl. Guess we will only know once its back together.
Closeup:

Fairly clean under the cover considering the milage, thought that was a great sign.

New valve cover gasket and harness:

Also used my shop vac again to get everything cleaned out as well as cleaned the valve cover up really well.

Also got my new relay installed,
White Rodgers 586-105111:

I still need to get the drivers side finished. Wasn't nearly as bad of a job as I thought it would be.

cjken

Explorer
Did you pull the turbo to get at the valve covers??
I sense a similar job in my future. Once it warms up. I may have to tap your brain for advice

89s rule

Adventurer
No, long story I had to pull the turbo to get a hose clamp I dropped down one of the intakes when I was pulling the fuel bowl.
I think they can be done without pulling everything but sure made it nice to have a little space.
I also pulled the down pipe after I was finished with the VC and pulled the Diamond Eye 4" straight pipe exhaust out of the box.

Did you pull the turbo to get at the valve covers??
I sense a similar job in my future. Once it warms up. I may have to tap your brain for advice

89s rule

Adventurer
Got the driver side completed in the midst of the snow melting last week. No melted plug or harness, but they were obviously leaking so I replaced everything. Including the glow plugs and cleaned it all up really good.

Snow:

Before:

During:

Finally gave her a bath, doors are matching much better now. This was in the middle of it, you can see where I still need to wash.

I also bought a window off of eBay for the drivers side front.
Creation Windows T-Vent Style Right Side Window 44" X 27" # 9894427983552
It is frameless and almost all glass look. Tilt out and still has a screen. I also could not argue with price, ($85) Just hope it arrives safely.

If anyone needs any parts I need to get the parts van finished and scrapped or sold. PM me if you are looking for anything in particular.

89s rule

Adventurer
Got out to work on the van part of Friday and Saturday.
Finished up the stereo install and got the dash buttoned back up.

Then decided to install the pillar gauges. Purchased a set of glowshift gauges on eBay before Christmas and the Autometer pillar pad for e-series vans from Summit. I read up on several installs and knew I wanted to have a connection behind the pillar that connected to the wires that ran down through the dash, this was to cover myself incase I ever needed to pull them out or troubleshoot something. So I combined similar wires from each gauge. This left me with constant 12v, switched 12v, dimmer, and ground. Also had tranny temp signal and the EGT / pyro probe.

Ran a coat hanger up and through the dash to pull the wires through:

Almost ready to drill holes and mount it up:

I want to wait to have the engine running etc. before I drill holes and mount up the pod permanently.
Also still debating on how to wire it up to the fuse box, friend suggested running it off of a relay. I want the dimmer for sure because I can't stand for things ot be bright at night as I feel I cannot see as well.

Need to get some new boots for the turbo as well as the oring kit of the pedestal and then I can start putting it back on, hope to get fuel bowl back on this week. Transmission tube seal at the tranny is bad, I think thats an oring as well? Accidentally pulled up on it a little and fluid gushed out. I wondered where the tranny leak was from (I though it was the pan seal). Hope to JB weld the bracket onto the tube, it was broken away. Getting there one step at a time.

86scotty

Cynic
Just read your whole thread. You took on a lot of work here! Looks like it's coming along nicely though. You've been lucky, the Pull-a-Part near me (Knoxville Tn) NEVER has vans. I can't figure it out. I've seen 3 or 4 there ever, but I've gotten pretty lucky on CL for parts. I recently did newer door panels all the way around on my 95. They look way better and the switches from older panels fit (if you have pw/pdl). Did you decide on a SMB 27 floor plan?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl