The Story of GnaRV aka “A Series of Expensive Unfortunate Events”

Acheateaux

Adventurer
What follows is a cautionary tale and as such, should be prefaced with a warning…

Turn back now. Proceed no farther. This will not be a tale of triumph, but rather a tale of woe, heart brake and misery. Nothing good can come of this. This too shall not pass.

The back story…

I, as all of you, have been enamored with the 4wd van bug for quite some time. Seeing them on the beaches on SoCal into Baja, the ski lots of Colorado and the deserts of Utardia began to peak my interest. Quick internet sleuthary revealed prices way outside my salary money collected from the tips of kind pub folk and left over from binge drinking. Plus I had a Honda Element that got me, the woman and our furry child around just fine and with the ninja bed, lended itself well to street “camping” in-between surfing all day.

Fast forward 6 years and we now have a 1 year old daughter, the light of my life, my reason for living, the provider of vomit covered shirts and many a sleepless night. While we are accepting of the change to our very nomadic lifestyle, we still wish to retain the ability to GTFO of dodge at a moments notice.

How is this to be accomplished?

A noble steed, staying packed and ready at a powder forecast hinting of fun, a surf trip strike mission or just a change of scenery. Something we can swing by the store on the way out of town and drop the wife off at work on the way back in.

The base rig…
2000 Ford E-350 with a 7.3l Powerstroke purchased in the spring of 2013. 145k on the odometer and the kind gentleman it was purchased from had just had all the injectors done. Gets around 18mpg. We’ll see how that changes after…

The plan…
A versatile beast. We are your classic 80 percenters, attaining 80 percent proficiency in some extracurricular activity then onto the next sport. Trips with us commonly include a little bit of everything. Mountain bikes, road bikes, surf boards, paddle boards, white water gear, towing a raft, skis, snowboards, climbing gear, running gear. Ideally the GnaRV maintains versatility for use when not out and about. More on that later. How to attain this lofty goal?

24” Fiberine bubble top, Maxxair manual fan. Yakima gutter clips

Ujoint conversion 4" on 33's. Weld up some tube bumpers, hopefully figure out a swing out for the bike rack to keep access to the back...

Interior build out.
Wood flooring to make sand/snow/dog hair/cheerio disposal more easier-er.
Floor plan. 4 captains chairs with a dinette/byebyenightnight in the rear, drawers out the back with bench lift ability (is that even a word?) to access gear from the top. Dinette is removable to keep utilitarian… use. Dirt bikes, mountain bikes, etc...
Modular chuck box, dry food storage and fridge. We cook outside, relish sunshine and outdoor endeavors. Probably some mid 40 quart fridge/freezer combo. I like the edgestar baskets for grab and go ease of use/packing.

Stand by...

Acheateaux

Adventurer
What I am super glad we did was buy a rig, figured out a sleeping arrangement and got after it. What the rig would have looked like if we built out, then started using vs what it will look like now is night and day. So I slapped a platform into the back that was removable after I used a collapsable bench that came with it. The bench took up way to much room underneath and was about as comfortable as sleeping in a medieval torture chamber.

Pimp down!!! Mid day beach napping.

Acheateaux

Adventurer
So we've used it for about a year now. The kid is 2 and we think we have a good idea of what we want... which is more effing' head room. We went with a hightop over a poptop for a few reasons...

-Better insulation at cold altitude. While you can get triple walled fabric to keep warm, we wanted to not have to deal with popping the top all the time. We also do a bit of "urban camping" and didn't want to scream "theres dirty hippies sleeping in here" to el policia.

-All the time ability to stand up inside. Booting up at the slopes. Putting on wetsuits. Making lunch.

-Ability to build some storage units upfront and possible in the rear. Removable sleep bunk for the kid.

More money than I ever planned on spending on a 14 year old vehicle later...

In all fairness, I haven't moved forward with the 4x4 conversion yet, so I'm sure that check will look a little rougher...

Gotta get it somewhere to get it cut up and bolted down...

Step one... "you cut a hole in the box"

The helmet was the only thing I had at the time with safety glasses. The flip flops are absolutely OSHA compliant footwear...

Last edited:

jjohnny350

Adventurer
Yeah me too, great story and pictures, nice job on the kid, shes beautiful, I just had my first 6 months ago, raddest thing ever. Also the utardia comment made me laugh pretty hard. Keep it coming.

Acheateaux

Adventurer
Gotta get it somewhere to get it cut up and bolted down...

In hind sight, I'm pretty sure using the camo tie down straps was a stroke of genius as I drove past no less than 4 very bored small town sheriffs with nothing more to do than tell me "dangerous" it would be if that thing came off. Obviously they wouldn't have seen my buddy surfing the top as we drive to the station to hack it up otherwise I would have to agree...

Bolted down tighter than a virgin on prom night.

Now I just have to unbolt it to lift it back up to put the butyl tape and foam down that I got way to excited about and neglected to put in place.

I also now need to slap on strips of plywood on top of the reverse flange as I spaced those as well.

And trim the interior cut even with the edge of the flange.

And get the brake light dialed...

Mo' head room, mo' problems...

Acheateaux

Adventurer
Lé exterioré (thats french for "the exterior")

So what to do about the outside? I new I didn't want to stay with "church van white", but what motif (another french word) would be befitting of all the awesomeness that is to be GnaRVee? I'm thinking hillbilly classy... Amurica flag? Flames? I had almost decided to go this route...
172_1large.jpg

But alas, the boss (see first post) vetoed that plan. I already had the soundtrack picked out for it. Granted, it was a soundtrack of one song, but it was one BA song.

Going with Monstaliner, a UV stable, non rubber chunk bed liner that you can roll on, but I plan on spraying it. This will give me the ability to billy goat it done narrow trail and not care about scratch marks. Easy to touch up and who cares if it gets a little beat?

What colors you say? Something mellow, something subdued, something that flies low under the radar.

Bright ***** teal up top and medium grey down low.

Wow. Inside rainy day pics with the flash on really dont do how obnoxious the teal is justice.
Im calling it panga perfect.

Did a little mock up to show you boys what it should look like.

Acheateaux

Adventurer
Start with a new front bumper - and then let your fertile imagination run wild!

Why? It took me the perfect combination of 80 grit sand paper and putting off painting that one until "tomorrow" to get the "patina" (prob another french word for oxidation) right where I wanted it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven