The Story of GnaRV aka “A Series of Expensive Unfortunate Events”

Acheateaux

Adventurer
Got the top back on and the headliner wrapped up. I need to figure out something around rear heater duct work and how to tie it in. It's probably a 6 pack problem. This week the maxxair fan is going in, feet for the roof rack and put the bed back in as the wife is taking the GnaRV up to Breck solo this weekend.

Next week the windows go in the top and I start finishing out the topper interior.

I slapped on some window vents and I'm blown away what a difference it makes.

Jb1rd

Explorer
Colorado "Mini Meet"

I noticed that there are quite a few Coloradans on here, we need to have a "Mini Meet and Greet". Would love to hook up with more crazy people, who like doing crazy things like build 4x4 vans. I will be back home in Vail hopefully the first week in Sept, perfect time for fall mountain biking and camp fires (barring there are no restrictions, crossing my fingers that the fire season has mercy on us) Not excluding non 'Radoans, the more the merrier is what they say!! What says ye?

southpier

Expedition Leader
any chance of some pictures of the mounting process? does removing the roof ribs compromise strength across the van box?

following along

Acheateaux

Adventurer
It's shockingly simple. Cut a hole in the roof and bolt it on. I went through the old ribs and sandwiched the fiberglass reverse flange with some 1/2" plywood on top. 7/16 grade 8 bolts. Some foam attached to the top toward the interior side of the flange and some butyl tape on the exterior side.

Hopefully I made it Baja shake apart proof...

Finished height is about 6'4, I anticipate loosing some of that to insulation...

southpier

Expedition Leader
thanks. I saw a u-tube where there appeared to only be some toe-screws here and there along with adhesive holding that sucker on. and I think it was a "professional" company doing the work.

Acheateaux

Adventurer
I'm not sure what's more terrifying... Hacking the roof off the van you just spent 2 years looking for or hacking into the $2700 top you just put on it.

Maxxair fan = on. It wasn't until I got it screwed in that I have neglected to run power to anything close to the roof.

Or actually run power anywhere for that matter. Been to busy getting awesome. Or actually the wife has. She's been running the rig around Summit county while I slave away.

Beaches. Gotta love em'.

A buddy kicking it in the rig with the kid...

e7egyga3.jpg

Acheateaux

Adventurer
Plastidip the bumpers and the headlight shrouds. Black aluminum billet grill insert next week.
zy2any8u.jpg

Murder!

Floor is currently torn out, wood floor going in this week. 63 quart Whynter showed up, now just looking for its home. It's a wee bit big for where I was anticipating it going. Classic example of "those dimensions look like they'll fit" without ever actually measuring anything.

zytetyqa.jpg

Acheateaux

Adventurer
Flooring = pau (done). Hopefully dog hair and sand sweep out of this one way better than the carpet. I did carpet pad in the floor ridge gaps, a low grade underlayment, 1/2" ply and a bamboo vinyl flooring.

My back hurts.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408678133.261901.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408678157.262508.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408678172.396233.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408678192.254812.jpg

And I wired in a switch to kill the dome light and switched all oem interior bulbs to led

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408678256.248787.jpg

Go me. Next up is moar wiring... and now that I'm thinking of it , a fire extinguisher.

philos

Explorer
you can buy them on amazon too, they're really inexpensive and if you have prime it ships free. I bought enough to do a LOT of bulbs... already did the dash, domes, and third brake light.

86scotty

Cynic
you can buy them on amazon too, they're really inexpensive and if you have prime it ships free. I bought enough to do a LOT of bulbs... already did the dash, domes, and third brake light.

Yep, I vote Amazon. I've bought lots for several vehicles now and haven't had one fail. They're so much cheaper than they were a couple years ago it's not funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven