The Story of GnaRV aka “A Series of Expensive Unfortunate Events”

Acheateaux

Adventurer
Ok, on the Monstaliner, I am going to use it for VanDOOM as well. It appears to be great stuff. Have you gotten it yet? How much do you think you will use?

Also, if you check Jeepforum.com, you can get a discount on a direct order by creating an account and using the discount code. Also watch for sales and such on that thread. Lot's of great pics there and in the other thread as well.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/introducing-monstaliner-uv-permanent-diy-roll-bed-liner-875162/ Main Monstaliner thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/monstaliner-interiors-exteriors-1376308/ Monstaliner Exterior and Interior pics thread.

No idea how much its going to take, but preliminary estimates appear to be a metric **** load, give or take a gallon..

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Hehe, I hear ya. Check out the thread and you will get some good estimates. I am expecting 2 gallons for the main color and less than 1 for the roof section.

con kso

Adventurer
Mr. Cheateaux- great to find you here and to see your awesome van build. This is Mr. Atchelee, your old paddling budding from back at the 'Patch.

Hope you did make it back here to awful California for these last couple of swells. Agreed that Nor. County and So. Cal meaning LA and Orange Co. are crowded and not too fun but I have to say all is not lost.

For example, down here in my corner of California, I just surfed 4-6' reeling, lefts with two other guys for about an hour and half this morning... and for the last three mornings as well. Here's my buddy on the other side of that left.

Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at 8.15.51 PM.jpg

Guess it's just a matter of where you'll permit yourself to live and surf. If it's within a three minute commute of an REI store, a Patagonia Outlet and a Wholefoods.... AND it happens to be near some fun, non-threatening, reef breaks (big channels bring big crowds) then you are screwed. Down here all we got are 99 cent stores, check cashing joints and liquor stores... but we've also got good, uncrowded waves and super stinky polluted waters with dead cows floating out the rivermouth (super dangerous, don't come here). So I guess it's about choices.

Anyway, I'm loving the build- I've been working on the Callen camper I stuck on the back of my 4x4 Tundra- we call it CON KSO.

Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at 8.17.09 PM.jpg

If you're heading down south and you need a staging point, a cold beer and some where to wrench on something hit me up- we've got a spot for you guys and we're only three exits from Mexico.

Last edited:

Acheateaux

Adventurer
Mr. Cheateaux- great to find you here and to see your awesome van build. This is Mr. Atchelee, your old paddling budding from back at the 'Patch....

Ahhhh meesta atchalee, super bummed we didn't get to rendezvous this trip, but we are out a lot, and will make the magic happen. Baja caravan?

Not bagging on California, because that would be tre pase and much to easy to do. CA is impossible to replicate which I shy the entire planet lives here. I'm just to weak to take the heat.

There are gems (both spots and folks), but same as you, I'm not dishing on either. Nice build, let's get together.

Acheateaux

Adventurer
Trip to the beach went off petty ************. Made it in now worries, but heard a weird knocking as we pulled into the beach. Turns out the vacuum pump was going out. A quick call to the San Clememente Autozone got me what I needed and I put it in at a super ugly spot.

Ended up getting some windows that didn't show up in time for me to put them in. A quick call to Derek at Colorado camper can confirmed they were in LA, I said hold em, I'll be there to pick me up tomorrow...

d2983121ae7a73fb77c59a70239ae3fc.jpg

I ended up putting them in my cousins driveway in Lake Forest a we had them for the trip. Game changer. Way better light and air flow, made sleep so mo' betta.

25c6d9059af1f13d20035ef293e4e7a9.jpg

58830be77344ad3fb55ba425ed06f7ae.jpg

9131d1a8b2bac8475aa49591fccc39c3.jpg

I'm loving the amount of light in the back now. Next up, insulation, D2 heater for ski season and start getting my 3.73 axles dialed in for the conversion. Oh Chris......

Acheateaux

Adventurer
With the front window cracked and the top windows opened about 6", it never felt "manky" inside. Plus heat accumulation was able to be dispersed without running the fan.

mapper

Explorer
I know this goes way back but I was just reading your thread, backwards, as I tend to do...and I laughed harder at this post than just about anything I've seen scroll across my screen! Thank God I was scrolling slow.

So, this is for the folks who may have missed the early days. And...what happened? I'm all for mo' color.

Lé exterioré (thats french for "the exterior")

So what to do about the outside? I new I didn't want to stay with "church van white", but what motif (another french word) would be befitting of all the awesomeness that is to be GnaRVee? I'm thinking hillbilly classy... Amurica flag? Flames? I had almost decided to go this route...
172_1large.jpg

But alas, the boss (see first post) vetoed that plan. I already had the soundtrack picked out for it. Granted, it was a soundtrack of one song, but it was one BA song.

Going with Monstaliner, a UV stable, non rubber chunk bed liner that you can roll on, but I plan on spraying it. This will give me the ability to billy goat it done narrow trail and not care about scratch marks. Easy to touch up and who cares if it gets a little beat?

What colors you say? Something mellow, something subdued, something that flies low under the radar.

Bright ***** teal up top and medium grey down low.

Wow. Inside rainy day pics with the flash on really dont do how obnoxious the teal is justice.
Im calling it panga perfect.

Did a little mock up to show you boys what it should look like.

Last edited:

Acheateaux

Adventurer
A good friend is the assistant director of EMS for the town, we get down there a bit. The BC there is way better than the resort...

Still going to paint it, just knocking out other stuff first. I may be moving onto a rattle an job, as my brother is an amazing artist and quite the pro with the krylon.

Acheateaux

Adventurer
So as we were pulling into my favorite little beach town ever (rhymes with "Van Splemente"), thee was an atrocious knocking noise. My astute better half was quick with the "that doesn't sound like our normal loud *** Diesel engine, do you concur"?

I concurred. A quick poke under the hood showed a vacuum pump pulley appearing to be taking a big poop. That ain't good. It was still spinning, but the spindle shaft was trying to leave the pump. As we left the beach, the pulley seized, so I limped back to a parking spot. A quick call to auto zone would get me a new pump with pulley and a belt by 3. Another quick call to a good bro got him to pick em up and bring it to me. A mosey down the beach to a well outfitted RV got me the tools I needed to swap it out.
1bc626cf18be911e16391ecc5590e6a7.jpg

1cdd191be16ccb504d37f77e99de51e4.jpg

There are worse spots to wrench. Just lucky the sun was low enough to not beat the crap out of me. Plus I got to paddle back out while I waited for a buddy to show up.

My "helper" "helping".
90212f959d4af5eea8810d63ccfc2611.jpg

Another few shots from the trip...
Cocked, locked and ret' ta' rawk!
d8cae0fa40302cee60895e33579008f2.jpg

Not a bad nap spot...
4f8ed8b889aa1ff90d09b1cfe1406ee9.jpg

ac21bf5ab25b1a5592a7295cc476eeb7.jpg

9b37b5debc601ba24614a3e60353128d.jpg

d399f93f751cad4b38dde7a030222604.jpg

57a809bdccdbb9c9f39d4d042f261e71.jpg

5c0392acd0451a5b44fbbabdceea1495.jpg

Jb1rd

Explorer
Looks like it was a successful trip!! (not really an ADventure until there is some ADversity :) Is that a Bernese Mt Dog? We have one that is 7, surprisingly she tolerates the beach, loves the river though.

Acheateaux

Adventurer
Australian Shepard, Taj Mahal Chatsworth Farthington Cheateaux the 3rd aka "the pantry pirate", aka " el capitan fluffy bottom", aka "the ill-eagle"

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
The BC there is way better than the resort...

Very true. I have done a little bit of splitboarding down there.
Unfortunately for me though the truth is I'm based in MN right now, so the resort remains the safe bet for a quick hit trip.

Looks like it was a great trip, is that a kelty awning?
Have you ever tried cafe del sol for breakfast burritos'? It's across the highway next to the rip curl outlet.
Good cheap pre surf fuel and the owner is a really nice guy to top it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven